News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

I hate Apple!

Started by stellinacadente, September 15, 2010, 05:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stellinacadente

Today I was trying tosync my iPod touch when an alert came thu that I could not sync until I had installed the new OS.

So I download the OS and initiate the update.

After a ridiculous long time (30 minute or so) I get "The update could not be completed- Error unknown"

Ar this point iTunes is not recognizing the device anymore and the iPod goes into Recovery mode... but the recovery cannot be completed either for Error unknown again!

My iPod in a coma, I go to the help page of iTunes about this unkonw error and I find suggestions...

a. download new version of iTunes. I don't like to do it because it forces you to download Quicktime too and it's a hopping 90+ MB, but I do it to rescue my iPod...

restart machine, open iTunes and restart restoration ... same error

b. Update iPod OS - no! really???? Genius!

c. Restore iPod to original factory settings...

At the c point I am getting ready to call apple and tell them what I think of their policies and support...

the only thing is: there is no Phone number :hitPC: :headbang:!!!!!

:stick: :2guns: :censored:

eh... too frustrated... I will try again tomorrow...
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I have an ipod-- one of the older classic ones.

As such, I have never let iTunes contaminate touch near my PC, let alone my trusty ipod-- I've been told, if I update it, it will "break" it requiring itunes from then on.

I currently use WinAmp to load my ipod.  A bit clunky, but it Just Works.

On the other hand, I'm finding I use my trusty Zune more and more-- and, am looking for a Zune classic with a busted hard disk for cheap-- one I will replace with an SSD.

Sorry to hear your troubles with ipod.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That's the price you pay when buying Apple products.

My recommendation is, if you want an app capable gadget use something with an Android OS, if you just use it for MP3s use any other brand, Creative is nice.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

stellinacadente

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 15, 2010, 12:28:46 PM
That's the price you pay when buying Apple products.

My recommendation is, if you want an app capable gadget use something with an Android OS, if you just use it for MP3s use any other brand, Creative is nice.

I agree with you 100% I cannot believe how 95% of the planet got tricked into being dependent on these thieves' products!

I bought the stupid thing for its ability to wifi... I wanted to have something that can turn into a Skype phone when I am away from home, especially outside the country...

and the second reason is because THIS http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperiax10?cc=gb&lc=en

wasn't out yet... but now it is MWAHAHAHHAHAHHA :devil: :devil2:

i CAN'T WAIT TO PUT MY HANDS ON IT!
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Darlica

I'm sorry to hear that your iPod giving you such a headache.  :(

I can't deny that I think many of apples products looks attractive...
However I find that looks are often deceiving especially when it comes to tech stuff. :-\

I'm no friend of Windoze but after a three year brush with iMacs and other Apple computers I run as fast as I can in the other direction when I see them or any of their spawn...
Some where along the road Apple seems to have forgot that function and reliability are supposed to be a part of good design too. :duh:
And that is comming from someone who is supposed to belong to one of their core target groups, you know, creative, arty, design geek people.  ::)

I use a Sansa Mp3 player, which I'm very happy with and that I could happily recommend to anyone.
It doesn't cover your needs though, it's just an Mp3 player.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

I use a simple mp3 player bought at the discounter (on offer a few times per year) but most of the content is from CDs I own. The only exception is the Gonzalez cantata downloaded from amazon.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

stellinacadente

Thanks for your emotional support in this very troubled iPod time for me :)

I guess the good news is that I have found the phone and I will now enjoy playing the angry customer for the poor unlucky call center guy who is going to end up with my call...  :mrgreen:

(Just kidding!)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

My recommendation on that area would be to get a quad band GSM cellphone unlocked/unlockable with wifi. Blackberries are usually capable* or get an unlocked Android phone. If you need a local carrier I know TMobile will unlock your phone upon request (they have done it a couple of times for me when I tell them I'm going to travel abroad) and they are GSM, the trick is that the phone has to be quad band otherwise it may work in Latin America but not in Europe.

Otherwise buy the phone already unlocked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008699%20600052177&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=50

Needless to say, only ATT and TMobile use GSM in the States, so if you want to use Sprint, Verizon or any of the providers that use their networks those phones will not be useful outside.

*some models even allow you to make and receive wifi calls using your number.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.