News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

New Species Found on Monastery Island!

Started by Darlica, February 14, 2014, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlica

New Species Found on Monastery Island!

The rare and unique Squidlings and the ever present Belfry Bats of the Toadfish Monastary island now have company!

Earlier this week a new species was found during a search for pickled sausages at Admiral Benbow's Tavern.

For several months jars containing pickled foods have been mysteriously disappearing from the shelves of Admiral Benbow's locked cellars, accusations has been thrown about, but no culprit has been apprehended, not even after rigorous traps was set with pickled herring as bait.

In the lower, perpetually flooded, old cellar of the Tavern a nest built of numerous empty pickle jars was found. The nest also contained a octopus shaped chandelier (origin unknown) and a gargoyle from the roof of the library tower.
The disappearance of gargoyle was earlier blamed on the Squidlings who seems to have been innocent this time.

The new species was quickly named "Krakling". It is reported to be slightly larger than the squidling and of the order Octopoda rather than the Teuthida to which the Squidlings are believed to belong.

At least 10 individuals were spotted, all had different markings and colours when observed. It is however unknown if the Kraklings can change their colour as a means of communication like many other sub-species of Octopoda.

It seems the Kraklings are able to move around on land with ease as long as they can rehydrate now and then. As we all know both Portsmouth and the monastery grounds are riddled with fountains, ponds, and channels, so Pirates and inhabitants of the Monastery be warned, the new arrivals can open jars and climb walls and they seem to be especially fond of old leather, anything shiny, pearl or gemstone-like as well as pickled foods.

From traces that has been uncovered in the nesting area they might be up to as much mischief as the Squidlings. 

Darla Deadwater
Internee at the The Portsmouth Aaarrrrggghhhus - all the news that's unfit to print

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

This may exploine the recent disappearance of my prized silver necklace with the miniature ornamental sauerkraut jar. (Oi had secretly blamed Swato, thinking he was secretly moiking Reuben sandwiches in his quarters but hadn't said anything because Oi thought it was in retribution for my lack of literary savvy concerning the classic Around the World in 80 Days.)

Oi did spot something what looked loik a large squidling (but more blunt on the end) ascending the lookout tower the other day. Are these "kraklings" dangerous when confronted? Should we be armed?

Bluenose

Oi woz wuderin wot 'ad 'apenneded too me colleckshun o foine olde gherkins wot Oi stole inherited from me granma.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Oive always admired your gherkins. In fack, Oi moight go so far as to say that Oi am not surprised that the krackens have taken such a foin colleckshun and furthermore that they obviously have excellent toiste. They tasted foin to me, anyway. Horrible, horrible, naughty, bad, gherkin-theiving krakens!

I wonder if they'd make good pets.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

One does have to keep one's hands away from their beaks, I suppose. Especially if one's hands smell loik pickles.

Aggie

Kraklings?  That explains all the packets of pork rinds that have disappeared from snack rack at the Vent.
WWDDD?

Darlica

Quote from: Opsa on February 14, 2014, 09:08:28 PM

Oi did spot something what looked loik a large squidling (but more blunt on the end) ascending the lookout tower the other day. Are these "kraklings" dangerous when confronted? Should we be armed?

Nah! Oi think t'ey ar' only dangerous if ye ahre verry small an' pickled...

The most dangerous about them moight be them leaving unfortunate suction marrks  an' an unfortunate poirat moight have problemes explioning t'em to the spouse... But in that case Oi think it's not relly the Kraklig 'ho is dangerous...

Them moight be amusing pets but good... Oi doubt.  ;D 
A Zoologist came to catsh one, It didn't went verry well he was found wit sho laces tied together an' his hands stuck in empty glass jars.

/Darla
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Bluenose

Ack!  They be clever littel buggas.  Oi checked on me last gherkins from me colleckshun - th' reely speshul olde wums - wot Oi 'ad kept tucked away noice an' secure loike in me safe, only ter foind that th' littel sods 'ad worked owt the combinashun an' hopened it and stoilen me verry best specimuns!  Now Oi is getting a bit cross and th' verry neckst kraklin Oi find moight get to taste the steel from me cutlasse!
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Oi wonder what a kraken taystes loik pickled? On a stick?

Pachyderm

Oi gots one pickled, wif a load o' Capn's Deloight, but it really weren't happy wif the stick. Admittedly, that may be wif where I put the stick....
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin

Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Pachyderm

Well, Oi had indulged in a few Cap'ns Deloights o' me own, didn't help wif stick placement, Oi will admit...

Bluenose2

Yarr!  It's awright Pachy, iffen ye 'ad enuff Cap'n's Deloight the stik placement is not signiffegut sygniffament singiniment importent

Aggie

WWDDD?

Pachyderm

" 'Ere, Oi was only away fer a hextended piratin' cruise, and there is some bleedin' cephalopod snoozin' in me bed! Brave little sod, Oi'll give 'im that!"

Swatopluk

Bleedin' in the literal or interjectional sense?
If it's the former, check that it's not just its ink (its blood will be blue, the ink black or sepia).
In any case some bleach would be in order, although it might inconvenience yer bedbugs.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin

Wen yoo is away, us 'as ter rent yer room owt. Ter covver the rent fer thiz plaic. Cephelopads arr good paiyers.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bluenose

'Sallroight, Pachy!  Jess 'ave sum Cap'n's Deloight (well, a lot reely) an ye will 'ardley notiss tha' pesky cephalopod!