News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Whiskey Advice

Started by Aggie, August 29, 2007, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

I'm working on putting together the bar list for my wedding reception in October, and trying to choose brands.  Rum, vodka, gin and all the beer is well under control because I drink these often enough to know my brands, and I have enough of a passing interest in Canadian whiskey to get the rye settled as well.

But what other whiskey should I stock?  I'd like to pick up a bottle or two of Scotch for those who might ask for it, but I have no clue what a passable brand at a reasonable price might be.  Doesn't have to be the best or even the better (that stuff gets PRICEY quick!), but something drinkable.  ???

Could also use some suggestions of what the least offensive 'cheap' tequila is - I'm definitely limiting supplies of tequila (damage control) but I know the crowd and I'd like to have at least ONE bottle on hand.  It's probably going to get shot anyways, so quality is less important here.

I also have no clue of what brand of white rum to get, but honestly I don't care because it'll serve them right for not drinking the nice Appleton Estate I'm getting as my main rum, or at least sticking to vodka (Stoli).  ;D
WWDDD?

Bluenose

If the scotch is to be used as a mixer, any brand bottled in Scotland should do fine, even Johnny Walker red label. ::)  If you want to have something better, for those who drink their scotch straight or with water or ice, then although a single malt would always be appreciated, I would go for one of the premium blended scotches such as Dimple Haig or Chivas Regal. If you really feel the need to go the malt option I would recommend Glen Livet, most scotch drinkers would be more than happy with that and it is not as astronomically priced as many.

If you do go the option of the premium blended or single malt, make sure your serving staff know that these ones are not for mixing, it is a criminal waste to put good scotch into a glass of Coke!

For white rum, go with Bacardi.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I agree with Bluenose in several points:

For mixing - Johnie Red Label is good enough and not too expensive. You can even drink it pure, but it's not as good.

Pure drinking - Chivas is the perfect thing, not way too expensive, but not a cheap brand. If you decide not only to purchase Scottish brands, I can recommend Jameson, Tullamore Dew and/or Jack Daniels. They're all very good and most accessible. Finding not too expensive single malt is not very easy, but Glen Livet should be just fine. Glenfiddich is also a very good one. And never mix single malt, as Bluenose said. It's a crime!

Tequila - Olmeca. Can't go wrong there. But don't get Sierra Tequilla, that one's just bad.... Here's a good site, where you can find a good overall view of best tequilas to use for shots: http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/tp/top_tqla_brnd.htm
Personally, I recommend Olmeca Gold with oranges and cinnamon.

Rum - Bacardi is probably the best one from the not very expensive brands. Havana Club is also not too bad.

Vodka - Stoli is good, but I'd also recommend Finlandia. Probably one fo the best out there, My favourite back in the days where I could still stand vodka... :)

I'm back..

Aggie

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I'll check into prices on Chivas, Glen Livet and Glenfiddich, but that's about the level I'm aiming for.

Not sure if I get Olmeca tequila here, but I'll check (also I have a friend who worked in Mexico I can ask).  Just want to avoid Jose Cuervo, irrationally.  If I had a bigger budget or was going to be drinking more tequila myself, I'd get something really good - I prefer to sip tequila and shoot something less tasty.  Hmm... should get some calvados, too.

Wouldn't waste Havana Club money on white rum (now, their dark stuff is worth it - I'm glad Canada plays nice with Cuba), but I was considering going with Lamb's or Cap'n Morgans for the white instead of Bacardi because it's cheaper and I have an irrational contempt for white rum (and I don't like even darker Bacardi, except their really well-aged stuff).  Are these too nasty to consider?  The price difference is negligible ($2 a bottle).

Finlandia's good vodka too - used to be our house vodka at the restaurant I worked at.  I'll have to check prices, but I know at least one (Ukrainian) guest who likes her Stoli.  I think Stoli's slightly cheaper, but that's a non-issue for the vodka.  I'm drinking some Moskovskaya right now that I'm not impressed with; I thought I'd try it because it looks pretty similar to Stoli - WRONG.  While we're on vodka, any opinions on Wyborowa?  I had a bottle a while back and it was pretty good.  Could be another option.  So I have to pick my country of origin I guess. ;)

Probably going with Canadian Club for the rye whiskey (because it's OK if not exceptional, and it's on sale for $18 a bottle right now).  Most people who drink their whiskey mixed will drink rye (hey, it's Canada - that's our native liquor).  My barstaff are hired professionals and should know what gets used for what.  Mostly the Scotch is for certain uncles and various rogues.

Actually, I have another whiskey dilemma....  when I was born, or shortly after, my grandfather gave me a bottle of Wiser's Oldest 18 Year Old Canadian Whiskey bottled in 1963.  My grandfather passed on a few years back, so I don't know whether it's best to have a drink in his honour at the wedding or to save it to hand down to my son or grandson.  I want to save it but I think my dad (his son) wants to open it.  What do you think?
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Well, whiskey does no improve in the bottle, all the aging is done in the barrel.  So keeping it will not make it better, although it won't make it worse either.  So the thing is really a question of sentiment.  How you feel about it is the thing to consider.  I say if you want to keep it, then keep it.  OTOH, if you want to drink, do that!
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

Quote from: Bluenose on August 29, 2007, 02:42:42 AM
Well, whiskey does no improve in the bottle, all the aging is done in the barrel.  So keeping it will not make it better, although it won't make it worse either.  So the thing is really a question of sentiment.  How you feel about it is the thing to consider.  I say if you want to keep it, then keep it.  OTOH, if you want to drink, do that!

Yeah, the age is more of a novelty than having any intrinsic value.  I'll talk to my dad about it, because if he'd really like to have it at the wedding, I don't mind.  OTOH, I could plausibly wait until it's 100 years old to enjoy it... IF I'm still alive and drinking!
WWDDD?

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I would advice you to drink it at the wedding, but only with your closest ones, in memory to you grandfather. I wouldn't "waste" it on all the other guests.

But, it's probably a thing how you feel it. Maybe have a glass with your family in a closed company before the actual ceremony, or something similiar.

I'm back..

Aggie

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on August 29, 2007, 03:05:46 AM
I would advice you to drink it at the wedding, but only with your closest ones, in memory to you grandfather. I wouldn't "waste" it on all the other guests.

But, it's probably a thing how you feel it. Maybe have a glass with your family in a closed company before the actual ceremony, or something similiar.

Yeah, that's what I would do... only at the head table, and with Dad's side of the family.  And keep the leftovers for family gatherings only I think. 
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm (apparently) late and most of what I would have said has been already (JW Red => cheap/decent, Chivas =>better). On rum, I bought the older Bacardi to avoid waste on my beloved (and hard to get here) Havana club. On the vodka side, Stoli is definitively good on the price/quality side, now if you could get Kubanskaya... BTW I tried Grey Goose and was positively surprised.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I've heard good things about Grey Goose, but not enough of a vodka connoisseur to justify it.  I AM eyeing up Cruzan (rum) which has been recommended to me...  has anyone tried it? 

(not for the bar!  But I wouldn't mind trying to get the parents off of Lemon Hart; when Mom drinks, she tolerates rum best.  Dad'll drink just about anything.... ::) )
WWDDD?

Darlica

Oooh, my line of work! :D

The beer suggestions sounds good especially with the the budget in mind. Otherwise as a really good Czech beer I would recommend Zlatopramen or Gambrinous.

Famous Grouse is another cheap but passable whisky, I'll personally take that or even Johnny Walker Black Label over Chivas Regal any day... But that's just me.
But I do think Glen Livet is the best choice if you have guests that enjoys a whisky as a avec after dinner, it's more complex and full-bodied than the others.

Calvados may be a good idea too, make sure to buy a nice aged one though, Apple flavoured gasoline makes nobody happy.  :o

Appleton Estate and reasonable price in the same post!!! I got to visit Canada! ;)

White Rum go with Bacardi, it's OK not great but works well in drinks, just avoid Bacardi Lemon, Razz and Mellon... :-X

Vodka I have no idea... I don't drink that stuff. *shudder* ;)

As for your old whisky, drink it with the close ones at your wedding and toast for your granpa, I'm sure he would have liked it that way, and get your dad to buy another bottle of whisky or cognac for your first born... :mrgreen:

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Quote from: Darlica on August 29, 2007, 12:52:38 PMCalvados may be a good idea too, make sure to buy a nice aged one though, Apple flavoured gasoline makes nobody happy.  :o

Appleton Estate and reasonable price in the same post!!! I got to visit Canada! ;)

Recommendations on the calvados?  I've only had one brand I think, but there are 2 or 3 available here.

As for Appleton Estate and reasonable....   ALL Canadian alcohol is ridiculously expensive (taxes, mostly), but the good news is that the better brands aren't much more than the cheap ones.

Now, I'm going to make sure to get my fill of Tanduay rum on the honeymoon... $1 a bottle for decent rum is even better.
WWDDD?

Darlica

I like Boulard Calvados Grand Solage and Calvados Pays d'Auge Réserve the later is a little bit more expensive here but both are in the lower price range.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

I'll have to check around.  The only brand I know offhand here is Père Magloire.

Calvados is lovely for cooking (especially pork), although I am hard-pressed to put it in the pan and not my glass.
WWDDD?

The Meromorph

With the caveat that I essential don't drink alcohol any more, not for 15 years, now...
I'd endorse almost all the recommendations so far, and add -
For Scotch - Highland Park is sometime quite inexpensive and always fairly good. I've never been impressed with Glenfiddich.
For Vodka - I've never understood why Wyburowa is not world-renowned as the best vodka of all. I've tried a lot of vodkas and never found another as good.
Dances with Motorcycles.