News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Camcorder Shopping Tips...

Started by Aggie, July 28, 2007, 04:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

I am in the market for a camcorder before the wedding, and trying to get up to speed on what features I should be looking for.

In particular, I'm trying to decide what format will work best - hard drive, SD cards, DVD?  We'll be overseas, and not necessarily have reliable access to a computer to offload material, so I think hard drive is out, although I've seen stand-alone DVD burners meant for use with camcorders.  Or could I carry a larger portable hard drive to download to?

I don't particularly like tapes, and I think SD cards are still a bit pricey to be carrying stacks of them around, so at this point I'd be considering a DVD model....  except I hear that there are plenty of drawbacks.

To summarize, I need something that:
-Allows for plenty of recording time without the need to access a computer (removable media is OK)
-Allows easy editing since I would like to make computer-compatible videos
-Is reasonably priced (prefer $500 range, +/-)
-Is fairly small and portable

Pros / cons / other recommendations?
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Actually, if you fear not being able to offload your videos, a hard disk is a better bet. You'll get higher capacity than the small DVDs (30 mins on each side) and are more reliable, besides most already have an SD slot anyways in case you run out of space.

Currently you can get a 4Gb SD card for US$40 and that will give you about 3 times more than a single sided small DVD. The advantage of the SD card is that you may* use it for a digital camera too.

Now, you can get a pack of 10 double sided small DVDs for US$18 so...

The cheapest camcorder with a hard disk I could find is US$438 with 30Gb (about the same as the cake of 10 DVDs) so it is pretty even. One with 60Gb is about $600+ so it may not fit your budget.

I guess the big question is: how may hours of video do you plan to record?

*although it depends on the camera if you use a high capacity SD card.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 28, 2007, 09:47:28 PM
I guess the big question is: how may hours of video do you plan to record?

Heh, not sure...  we've got a month overseas, and most of the video (I assume) will be on and around the wedding date.

With a hard disk, can one usually go back and delete scenes to make more room?
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I would imagine that you should be able to manage files from the camera (straight shoots) but I seriously doubt you'll be able to edit in the camera itself, although I admit my ignorance on the subject given that I don't own one. I do make videos from my digital camera and each shoot is a file, I imagine it should be something similar.

ivor

Make sure it has a fire-wire connection.  The video editing software I use doesn't work well with USB 2.0.

Aggie

OK, change of plan... given that hard drive cameras are still somewhat in their infancy, and especially since I've found out that we are hiring a professional videographer for the ceremony,  I think I need to look at MiniDV camcorders.

The problem is, most of the entry level options look to be crap, and I'd like to keep this under $400 now ($300 would be great - but might not cut it).  Continuous recording time is also less of an issue since we won't be shooting the ceremony by hand.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Something like this?

A more future proof camera would support HD but the cheapest is about US$750...

Aggie

I think that's about what I'm looking at.

Reviews indicate another couple of options:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC38-Camcorder-Review-32771/Comparisons--Conclusion.htm

(this review site seems to pick apart just about every camera pretty heavily, but I guess I have to remember that I am looking for something entry level)

That Canon-ZR850 might be an option, but again, the comparisons point back to the Sony...  ::)

Gah, I'd better decide soon, because the pricing looks better from US online vendors, and I'd need to get it shipped up PDQ.

My views on 'future-proofing' is that most technology gets cheaper in the future (NEW tech is expensive, but once it's standard, prices drop), so I'd rather catch the last refinements of MiniDV than the initial steps of HD and hard disks.  Got burned buying an early-generation MP3 player when 32MB was standard memory, and 64MB cards were well over $100. ::)  Judging from the way prices are dropping on LCD TVs, I'm not buying another TV for a good 5 years - I picked up a bargain flat screen CRT last year. ;)
WWDDD?

Aggie

I may have found a winner...  the Panasonic PV-GS80 seems to get the general thumbs up and is CHEAP-CHEAP....
http://tinyurl.com/3d5mml

.....aaaaand they won't ship to Canada. Local prices are ridiculous! :P

EDIT:  Um, will my newish (2006) computer be able to hook up via firewire by default?
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Unless the computer is a Mac or a notebook, it probably won't have Firewire by default.  You can add a Firewire card for a few dollars, however.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

ivor

Quote from: Agujjim on August 20, 2007, 10:25:11 PM
EDIT:  Um, will my newish (2006) computer be able to hook up via firewire by default?

Not necessarily but add on cards for firewire aren't real expensive.  Sometimes motherboards may have a firewire connection for it that is not connected to the outside of the chassis.  So if you just find the little header cable you're all set.

Aggie

OK, I have some compu-smart connections around here, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Just cursing out Canadian retailers, though!  That Panasonic camera is nearly TWICE the price here ($400), and the US retailers don't seem to ship them up here.

*sigh*

Will have to go have a poke around the shops, I suppose.
WWDDD?

ivor

Aren't you close to the border?

Aggie

Not close enough to make a run worthwhile (300 km+), especially since there's no towns of size immediately over the border AFAIK.  Would end up killing a minimum of a tank of gas, and really do not have the time to spare. :P

And unfortunately it's one area of consumer electronics that Korean manufacturers are lagging significantly behind the Japanese in, or else I'd score a state-of-the-art one over there.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps you can do a trick, buy in the states and re-ship to CA. Do you have a friend that could buy it, get it sent to his house (in the US) and then send it to your house? (I would offer you my 'services' but unless shipping is flat rate it would be better if the person lives in the north, not in FL...).

Aggie

I was thinking about that (surprising number of you lot live in Florida, and in fact I'm getting something else shipped up from FL soon), but it may end up being a headache if anything goes wrong and needs warranty.

Hmmm.... I could take a big risk and try grab it in Seattle when I fly through, but I'm thinking that the airport ain't the best place for electronics deals (no time to hit the city, either). 

Going to have Christie check prices in Seoul, as she says that it's possible to get Japanese stuff (I suspect that duty/tariffs are in place that will up the price, though, but you never know).

Oh, I did find a couple of 'deals' today at Future shop:  That Sony Zono mentioned for $200 (open box, missing charger) and a Canon ZR800 for $99 (open box, 'missing everything'). ;D

The Sony may be worth grabbing, as it's regularly $429, and as I'm likely to be buying a spare battery, a charger wouldn't be a major add on. 
WWDDD?