News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Candlemania

Started by Opsa, October 08, 2013, 09:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Hi Sibs!

I am a bit of a candle fiend, possibly brought on by the fact that I couldn't burn them in the house when my child was younger. I buy candles all the time at yard sales, if they are in good condition, because I think they are fun and relaxing to burn.

I have actually had to restrict myself from buying candle holders though, even bargains, because I have so many all ready.

Sometimes candles do not fit well into candle holders. They used to sell these little doo-dads that fit into the holder, a sort of little gasket thingy to keep the candle (taper) upright, but I haven't seen any for sale for quite some time. Sometimes I will adjust a candle's base by putting a small roll of clay around the holder end, but that is a bit messy.

Today I had the bright idea to buy some small rubber bands and try them. I put one or two on the candle's base and it seems to do a nice job. The package I bought had many different sizes, and I suppose you could double or triple them up as needed.

I hope this help you the next time you have a wobbly taper!

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Excellent idea!

I wonder about long-term, though-- candle wax is not dimensionally stable, and over time, if under even mild pressure, can deform.  If those bands are at all tight around the stem, it could make them ooze down the line.

Of course, if you are burning them quickly, it's seriously not an issue.  But for a display that sits pretty somewhere, for a long time, it may cause an issue.  I was thinking about your plight, and I immediately thought of fabric tape-- you know-- "duck tape" only the kind that isn't silver or shiny, but is rough (fabric).  You can get this stuff in at various places, sometimes called "gaffers tape" or even "friction tape".   Being tape, you won't stretch it at all, and it's sticky enough to adhere to the candle.

Or, of course, that blue (or green) masking (painter's) tape....

;)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Hmm, good point, about the oozing factor.

I wonder if something springier would work, like foam tape, that stuff that beauticians use on hair.

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 08, 2013, 11:31:19 PM
Of course, if you are burning them quickly, it's seriously not an issue.  But for a display that sits pretty somewhere, for a long time, it may cause an issue.  I was thinking about your plight, and I immediately thought of fabric tape-- you know-- "duck tape" only the kind that isn't silver or shiny, but is rough (fabric).  You can get this stuff in at various places, sometimes called "gaffers tape" or even "friction tape".   Being tape, you won't stretch it at all, and it's sticky enough to adhere to the candle.

Do you mean hockey tape? I'm not entirely surprised if that's mostly a Canadian name for it. ;)

Opsa, have you thought about softening up the base of the candle, then pushing it into the holder to let the wax fill the void?  Paraffin wax should soften in hot tap water; beeswax will need a little more heat.
WWDDD?

Opsa

I do that sometimes, but it does not always work if I use too little and can be a little messy if I use too much.

There is something called "tacky wax" out there that does the job without having to melt the wax. Maybe I should try to find that.

Aggie

Hmmm,  craft places also often sell sheets of beeswax pressed in a honeycomb pattern for rolling your own candles... maybe a strip of that wound around the bottom?
WWDDD?

Opsa

That's an excellent idea! With the cells it would have a little "give" to it, so that it could conform around the candle and candleholder shapes.

OOooh...! Good catch, Aggie!

I have made quickie candles with those sheets of beeswax.  They burn beautifully (as do all beeswax candles).

Opsa

Cool. Do you just roll a string in the beeswax, or do you need a waxed wick? How tightly do you need to roll it?

I have rolled it both loose and tight.  I always used pre-waxed candle wicking, available at craft stores.  You can easily make your own, though, use soft wicking, with a small weight, then a single dip into melted paraffin/wax.

The loose roll burns quickly at first, but as it  does, the melt wax flows down between the layers, and it slows down some, but still faster than tight rolls.

Tight rolling is harder to do--takes patience to get started.  Once you have a goodly beginning, it's easier.  If you warm the sheets a wee bit, it's easier.  Too warm, though can make them sticky.

I've done the tight rolls for tapers and other slender styles.  I typically used the loose rolls for those short, fat ones you stick down into something like a jar or the like.

Pressing the pre-waxed wick onto the very edge of the sheet is a good way to start, then carefully rolling/curling that-- slow and careful at the start.  

You can also roll conical candles by rolling diagonally.  

If you shave crayons into very fine shavings?  You can sprinkle these in-between the layers as you go.   As the candle burns, it will reveal these pockets of intense color.   An old cheese grater works-- so long as you do not plan on using for food later.  It's really difficult to get all that wax out, for afters.  

:)

Yeah... I spent way too many summers in kids' camps helping out with the crafts tables.  

Edit:

I just remembered another quickie technique:  taking el-cheapo white candles that are 8" or so, but really skinny. Typically used as "emergency" candles or even throw-aways for Xmas Eve stuff.   Skinny is better here-- you are only wanting these as a starting core.

You use that as a core, and roll a beeswax sheet over it until it's as thick as you like. 

Candle lighting "tapers" would also work, but I've never tried those (basically a long waxed wick, with barely enough wax to give it definition) typically used in candle lighting thingys.

Yeah... for years and years, I was the #1 candle lighter for a thing called "Lessons In Carols" a sort of mix of traditional Xmas music and classic readings.  I'd have to light roughly 100+ candles in about 15 minutes or so.  Too soon?  The first candles would burn out.  Too late?  I'd not finish in time for the crowd to get seats (the candelabras were interspersed with the crowd).   I got pretty good at lighting these things, using a classic candle lighter stick:  think a 4 foot pole, with a slim hollow brass tube at one end, slightly curved.  You'd feed the taper into that tube, leaving an inch or so out.  Light that, and gradually feed the taper as it burned (there was a lever sliding along the tube just for that).   And walking just fast enough to get from candlestick to candlestick (each which held 7 candles, typically) without blowing out the taper...  All while looking properly solemn....

:)

Alas, safety interceded, and now they use butane "candles" which burn for hours, do not drip and can be lighted well before the start of the program and simply left going until the second show.

Boooooring.   ::)  And they stink, too... real beeswax candles smell like... well... nothing else.  Heavenly?  Yeah... that.

:D

As I re-read over that?

I remembered another feature of the candle lighting thingy-- it could be extended to over 8 feet in length.  And I remember standing in the isle, with an extended lighter, carefully lighting candles 5 or 6 feet from my isle, over the heads of the crowd seated nearby.   I got really good at having a steady hand and making it look so very easy.  (from the muttered comments?  The people always seemed appreciative and amazed at the same time.)  Some would politely get up and move out of the way, but that really only slowed me down-- I was quite good at it.   I never dripped on anyone in all the years I did that (annual show).

When they switched to the butane?  I quit going.   Oh well.

pieces o nine

^^ Opsa -- I would have suggested those tacky wax dots -- used to steady artifacts on shelves and the like. I would be worried about rubber bands or duct tape in case the candle burned way  down...  Post an update on what you do with your rolled candles.

^ Bob -- Maybe they switched to help today's altar boys persons?
I used those long church (butane lighters) in my deaconette years; they were fun.

I burned nearly every candle in the house over the last few days. I will add to this candle thread that one cannot actually boil water over votive candles, not even if you gang them up under the sauce pan. Candle-heated tea is better than nothing, but still quite an abomination.
:D
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Poor Pieces! I wondered where you went and am glad to see you back.

I love the idea of the emergency candles wrapped in beeswax and can't wait to go and see if our local craft store carries beeswax sheets! That is awesome. I am guessing that you might be able to decorate them and give them as gifts, too.

I have some floating candles that I have been contemplating putting in a large bowl of water on the table. Anyone done this?

Quote from: Opsa on October 10, 2013, 03:05:05 PM
Poor Pieces! I wondered where you went and am glad to see you back.

I love the idea of the emergency candles wrapped in beeswax and can't wait to go and see if our local craft store carries beeswax sheets! That is awesome. I am guessing that you might be able to decorate them and give them as gifts, too.

I have some floating candles that I have been contemplating putting in a large bowl of water on the table. Anyone done this?

I've done the floaty candle thing-- for my mother.  (She got a set at one of those "white elephant" parties).    It ended up being kind of messy and short.  The floaty candle was about 1/5 the size of your typical votive, and burned about as long (1/5) before the water snuffed the 'fuse'.    Meanwhile there's wax-melt here and there making kind of a mess in the whole glass water container. 

It was ... amusing for a single event thing, just because it was water and fire in one place.   However, your basic votive candle setup was more satisfying and typically included lovely scents. 

I suppose you could put scents/herbs into the water, and if you kept replacing the floaty candle, the water would eventually warm up enough to release the scents....? 

On the other hand?  A repurposed fondu pot, filled with potpourri and a wee bit of water, over a smallish votive candle to just warm the whole, works significantly better... just take care that the water does not evaporate before the candle goes out, or the potpourri can burn, changing a lovely scent event into more of a "who set off the smoke alarm" annoyance.  ::) :ROFL:

I used to have a miniature "crock pot" electric wet-potpourri thing, but I don't remember what happened to it... hmmm... I must see if I can find that thing.  I really did like it.

But wet potpourri is different from the dry sort, as water brings out different chemicals, and the very low heat (below water's boiling point-- see Pieces' comment... :) ) and the water vapor carries the whole into the room quite nicely.  Typically much more intense, than just the dry stuff.

On the down side, when the thing quits being "scentful", you have what is essentially wet near-compost.  Not unlike used tealeaves or old coffee grinds.  Don't leave it overnight, or it'll become a haven for mold....  :D   (.... now who would do **that***....? )

Darlica

I'm completely fascinated by the combination fire and water (ice) When I hag a larger home I used to have a crystal bowl with water some flower and a candle in it on the table.

However, I'm not fond of floating candles they do make a mess in the container. :-\
I use very thin cuplike candle holders made of glass and a tea candle.

Like these.

As for stabilizing candles in the holder. Use a thin strip of tinfoil around the base of the candle, it won't melt and it is reusable. :)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous