News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Buying Used Cars (general discussion)

Started by Aggie, April 21, 2011, 04:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

I finally need to suck it up and buy a vehicle.   :P

I've been all over the map for price and vehicle type. My plans are insanely up in the air right now (insane as in pirate pizza boat = good investment insane, don't ask...  ::)) so I can't figure out if I need a fuel efficient compact, or a truck capable of hauling a trailer or boat. 4x4 would be a major advantage for where I tend to drive when I get outside, but not essential; I drove a FWD Pontiac Firefly for 8 years and beat that poor little car all over the bush and up the ski hill in blizzards....  ;D

Likewise, I can't decide whether to buy a fairly pricey but good-condition vehicle, or buy a cheap older one to run temporarily and replace when something major goes or I decide what I need.

Or, I buy a used Santa Fe like the one I had before the ex rolled it (:P), and keep status quo. 

New isn't really an option, although I considered picking up a new Elantra Touring, which would fit most of my requirements except for off-road and hauling capability. I could probably haggle one down to within spitting difference of my insurance pay-out.  The problem is that if I decide I need a truck, I'll take a bath selling a new car.

I need a vehicle by Tuesday, Friday at the latest.  :mrgreen:

WWDDD?

Swatopluk

A modular car would be ideal obviously. One where you can put an extra engine in when the need arises. ;)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps you can get a Pontiac Sunrunner (Suzuki Vitara/Escudo) in decent condition? If you need a pickup a Toyota (Tacoma or Hilux if available) or a Nissan should be able to do the trick. Otherwise I would suggest something like my car, a Toyota Echo/Yaris, not only I can attest how durable those are but very economic (and are on the top of the list of durable cars in the consumer reports magazine).

Or get a Subaru!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I looked at Subarus, I like the cars generally, but they are reportedly expensive to maintain.  Toyota's trucks have lost their good ratings in recent years.  Smaller Nissan pickups are supposed to be excellent, but there are few on the market.  I am looking at a Honda Ridgeline this weekend, which is a good compromise that will meet my needs - a little bit of a fuel-pig, but not quite as bad as a normal pickup.  Lots of cargo space and enough of a box to throw a few muddy bikes into.  It's a little more than I was hoping to spend, although it's still affordable.

I was tempted to buy a cheap beater cargo van to help with moving back, but thought better of it. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The ridgeline is (for a small car owner) a large beast, I thought you were looking into a small pickup not one of the large ones... your plan is to haul heavy stuff?

Aggie

I will admit that it's more of a beast than I was originally looking for.  If I didn't need to tow, I might be looking at something like a Suzuki SX4 - small, cheap and AWD.

The Ridgeline is actually fairly modest in terms of engine size - it's a 3.5L V6.  I think the Nissan, Mazda/Ford and Toyota small truck can be found with smaller engines, but also with larger 4.0L engines; 4x4s tend to have larger engines.  Towing capacity for the Honda is 5000 lbs, which is a bit less than the ~6000 lbs that the 4.0L versions of the Toyota and Nissan trucks will do.

By comparison, a 4wd Toyota RAV4 (smallish SUV) has a similar 3.5L engine, but a towing capacity of 1500-2500 lbs; a Ford Escape (which has been my main target for most of my searching) would be a reasonable compromise, with 2000-3500 lbs towing capacity for a 3.0 L engine.   Needless to say, the fuel efficiency is better due to lower curb weight with these types of vehicles.  

The Honda is definitely skewed to the passenger side of the equation, which is a good thing for me.  Smaller trucks tend to be dismal for cab space and nearly impossible for any length of travel with more than two people.  I don't always need to take a lot of people at once, but it would be nice to be able to throw four mountain bikes in the back with four passengers up front, or five people plus camping gear for expeditions.

I need to pull (in the short term) a moving trailer and for longer term want to haul boats and a utility trailer with timber and supplies.

-------

I admit a little environmental guilt about buying that much of a gas-guzzler; hopefully I've built up a little good carma driving a 1.0L Firefly for 8 years, living within walking distance of school/work  (excluding field work :nervous:) for 9 years and cleaning up after the petroleum industry for 7. :P
WWDDD?

Opsa

Have you bought it all ready?

I was going to suggest getting something cheap and roomy and good on gas. Gas aint getting any cheaper and large beasts are no fun to run, park in regular parking spaces, or sell.

But go for dependable. That's my bottom line.

Aggie

Cheap, roomy and good on gas would be that new Elantra Touring - these things are impossibly rare on the used market (haven't been out in Canada long) so new is the only practical option.

The thing is, no matter what I have, I'll be beating it up and down mountains repeatedly and getting into some difficult situations (no serious offroading, just getting back in the bush). I want something that will be able to handle it.  Not that having a Firefly ever stopped me...  but surely I am less foolish now than I was then?  

A somewhat less fuel efficient vehicle may also encourage me to cycle-commute more.  Gas is significantly more expensive up here than in the US, albeit much below European prices.

The price on this vehicle is decent enough that I would not have a hard time selling it and getting most of my money back if needed, although I intend to keep it for a while.  Part of the motivation for buying a truck is that even a small one would help get me through the first couple of years of Monastery-building.  I am just not ready to go whole-hog into a big pig of a truck at this point.

WWDDD?

The Meromorph

Have you looked at a Kia Sportage. Very tough little beast. Good in the offroad situations you describe, too.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aggie

The older (and reportedly great for off-roading) model isn't well-known here; the second generation ones are common, but I'd probably be inclined to get a nearly identical Hyundai Tuscon instead.  I had no complaints about my Santa Fe which had got me through some relatively difficult terrain.

Specifically with regards to off-roading, I want something that will be able to get itself unstuck from mud or a snow bank.  I am aware that I'm quite biased about how much I need this capability due to field work and AB clay-based mud. 

The towing is really the main reason to go for a larger truck-type vehicle.  If I need the towing capacity and whatever I'm driving won't handle it, I'd need to sell-and re-buy. Used vehicles are taxed at 12% in BC and not at all in AB (plus they are about 4% more expensive to start), so I'm financially motivated to buy larger and swap down if needed than to buy cheap and swap up.  Hypothetically, if this Ridgeline is in good condition, and based on selling prices out in BC where they are more popular, I could probably drive it for a year and flip it for enough to cover the extra fuel.

Well, now I'm just talking myself into this danged truck... ;)
WWDDD?

Lindorm

Perhaps I can interest Sir in this fine vehicle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_C303

Not manufactured anymore, but spare parts are, and there is a lively surplus market. There's also quite a few enthusiasts about, too. Fuel consumption is a bit high, though.  ;)

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If that is the idea why not get an old Unimog:mrgreen:

Aggie

Surprisingly low displacement on those things (older models, anyways).  My buddy's father had a Swedish army surplus Volvo Sugga a few years ago, perhaps I should inquire about that?

I did see the odd Mitsubishi Delica import for sale, and was tempted in passing:

but I bought the danged Ridgeline
WWDDD?