News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Sewing Machine Advice

Started by Aggie, January 25, 2008, 03:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Da wife wants to get a sewing machine, and I'm in charge of doing the legwork (may surprise her for Valentine's Day - sounds like a dangerous present to give, but practical gifts ARE acceptable around here).

She has the intention of making clothes for herself, but she doesn't have any previous experience with a machine, so something user-friendly is a must.  Would like to get something that is a good value for the features (i.e. something she won't outgrow immediately, but won't break the bank). 

Any seamstresses out there with tips or recommendations?
WWDDD?

Darlica

Wow, hard question unless one knows what brands are available where you live. 

Here many sewing machine shops have reasonable prized previously owned machines for sale; it's not unusual to trade in the old machine when buying a new one around here.

I would buy a machine up to 10 years old if it looked in mint condition. Unless she want to be able to do machine embroideries that is. Less computer stuff in the machine means less mess and better durability.

I have a Husquarna sewing machine from sometime in the 50's, I does everything I need it to do and it still runs like a clockwork. :mrgreen:

What ever you do choose a known brand with a good reputation, a sewing machine is a tool much like an electric drill, a lot of rotating mechanical parts including a gearbox, so if you buy a low end product expect it to fall apart... :)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Quote from: Darlica on January 25, 2008, 07:28:55 PM
I have a Husquarna sewing machine from sometime in the 50's, I does everything I need it to do and it still runs like a clockwork. :mrgreen:

What ever you do choose a known brand with a good reputation, a sewing machine is a tool much like an electric drill, a lot of rotating mechanical parts including a gearbox, so if you buy a low end product expect it to fall apart... :)

Don't think we have Husqvarna sewing machines here, mostly chainsaws.  Dad's owned/worked for  Husqy dealerships for years. ;)  I think Singer's the big brand here. 

Good idea on the used machines, though.  Might be able to get a decent machine for cheap.
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

Also known as Viking sewing machines. And their second line is White.

(Had a PINK Husky from the 50's that I gave to a friend that does upholstery. She uses it and her new $6,000 upholstery-specific machine sits idle.)

In Canada...
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/ca/en/

Alberta dealers...
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/ca/en/3172_4596.htm

Beats a Singer every day. (Singers have too many plastic parts.)
This sig area under construction.

The Meromorph

Singers are low-end good machines. Older ones are much better.
Necchi or Pfaff are the best.
Babylock are usually good. We've had bad experience with one of their top-end machines but I think it was an incompetent dealer repairing under warranty. Be aware that Babylock's lifetime warranty is not transferable and only applies to the first purchaser from a licensed dealer.
Bernina, Brother, Husqvarna, and Morse are all good machines.

For a 'beginner' don't be seduced by an array of fancy stitches. You need variable stitch length, easy threading, a zig-zag stich (for stretchy fabrics and antifraying edges), and button holes (simple or fully automatic). Useful pluses are a 'basting' or 'tacking' stitch (easy to unpick), and as small (thin and narrow) an 'arm' as possible. Anything else is an extra you won't use more than once.  :)

A used one of the good brands would be your best choice
Dances with Motorcycles.

Opsa

My Mom has a Singer that was probably made in the thirties or fourties. Black, wasp-waisted thing. Works like a charm.

We used Vikings in Home Ec, so I know they're student-friendly.

I have a Sears Kenmore machine that I bought in the 1970's  :-[ dirt-cheap as a college student. I made about three shirts on it and never touched it again. Lately I've been thinking of having it reconditioned for the Opsalette, who shows some interest in sewing. What do you think? Maybe it would be better traded in or ...melted down?

Darlica

My Husquarna, looks just like this one, is a heirloom. :mrgreen:

My mother had one just like this, unfortunately my godmother *ucked it up in some way when she borrowed it a few years ago, however it turns out mum's new hubby had one in storage after his late wife... I will never let it go!
It sews through anything! Leather, canvas, sail fabric, you name it!

A real :krabbie:
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

Wow! It's gorgeous!!!!

Love the color.

Sibling Chatty

Imagine that in pink...

My friend swears she could sew together cast iron skillets with it.

Opsa, the Sears machine from the 70's... if it's one from before they went to mostly plastic parts (70's Sears machines were Singers, for the most part) then have it cleaned and serviced, definitely. Mom's Kenmore from the 70's was pre the plastic stuff, and I have a standing offer of $300 for it. (It does have all the fancy stitch stuff, but the woman wants it for the free-arm and the jeans-mending capabilities. It's just like the one she lost in a fire, so she knows what it does.)

A good sewing machine can last forever. I've got an antique Singer in a "clamshell" wooden case somewhere. Tried it out about 5 years ago, and it ran perfectly.

Opsa

Thank you for the advice, Chatty! I am encouraged.  :TYfg-a.com: :kisshands:

Aggie

Thanks all for the advice.

Don't think I'll talk Mom out of the old pedal-powered Singer (that's the last Singer I've met, heh).

Used is sounding like a good option, IF I can find a good used dealer.  Will have to do some price snooping.
WWDDD?

Opsa

I was just looking for a photo of my mom's Singer and saw lots of websites with used machines for sale.

I also found this strangely interesting site on which people have posted many photos of their own machines. I got a kick out of the way some of them had been decorated- there's a case with a devil girl sticker on one! Wahsome!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=34786.0;images
(Lotsa pictures- expect some load time, even with DSL)

(Edited to fix link. The one like my Mom's is posted by MADness 323 on Dec 26, 2006. Devil Girl case is posted by Miss Mordoria on April 12, 2007.)

Bluenose

I have an Elna SU that is about 30 years old.  It weighs a ton but works like a dream.  My mother gave it to me when it was about 10 years old, she was upgrading to a newer machine and I joked at the time that it only had another 15 years to run on the warranty.  Well, it's had a fair bit of use and I only recently had to have a part replaced, only cost about AUD$100.  The service guy said that it was as good as gold and it still works perfectly.

Many of the newer machines have a lot of plastic in them and I woul be dubious about how good a deal they would be second hand.  I suggest you track down an independent sewing machine service man and ask him what machines he would recommend in your area.  These people get to see the problems that happen and if you find one you like the "look and feel" of, he can give you excellent advice.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

I used one like this (Singer) all my life

until it finally gave out. Then a Frissiter and Rossman until it got too heavy for me to move (actually it was me that changed not it).

I now have a Brother. Lots of research went into choosing it.... maybe 15-20 years ago. Always been happy with it and I demand a lot of my machines. ;)

edit
forgot to boast - made a suit at the age of 7. back in those days we walked 50 miles to school and back..... etc well ok but the first bits true...

http://www.brothermachines.com/
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Agujjim on January 25, 2008, 09:52:07 PM
Thanks all for the advice.

Don't think I'll talk Mom out of the old pedal-powered Singer (that's the last Singer I've met, heh).

Used is sounding like a good option, IF I can find a good used dealer.  Will have to do some price snooping.

If you ever come to Texas, I DO have that pedal powered Singer, AND one of the little Singers (40's vintage, that came with its own wooden table, card-table style) and, I think an early 60's White...

Wow, I may be down to 3 or 4 sewing machines. We had 7 at one point. And I--cannot sew.