News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Another newbie

Started by Sibling DavidH, January 18, 2010, 07:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

Respectful greetings to one and all.  I am a dedicated Pastafarian and used to be active on the Venganza forum.  I shall aim to make a worthwhile contribution here.
I warn you all now that I am a linguistic history nerd.  If you have any questions about such matters DON'T ASK ME or you'll be reading for days.  :mrgreen:

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Welcome, DavidH.

I suspect you'll find yourself in good company, with regards to a love of literature.

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Darlica

Welcome DavidH!

This place is a labyrinth the "recent post" function might serve as a Ariadne's thread for you, no Minotaur's around though, not that we know of anyway... 
Suction marks on the legs means that you have had a run in with our infamous squidlings... They thrive in the gaps between the subsections. They are friendly enough (well a little too friendly some would say) as long as you don't smell of fishheadstew or get too close to their home in the moat. :)

Somewhere around here is a library section... Watch out for the dust bunnies though, they might be aggressive this time of the year!
;) ;D

Again welcome!

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Pachyderm

I passed a minotaur on my way in. He seems very nice....
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Pachyderm

And welcome. Curse my impulsive nature, and OCD need to press buttons...

Aggie

Hullo and welcome aboard! :)
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling DavidH

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  I note the gratifying number of Latin tags around the place.  I am thinking of changing my sig to:

'Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?'   :-\

All this talk of squidlings and sucker-marks, dust-bunnies and minotaurs is interesting.  Do you have one very tame hamster until I get used to the scary stuff?   :mrgreen:

Darlica

Sorry, no hamster, some of the pirates where quite tame although not entirely housebroken, ;) :P unfortunately most of them seem to be on a very long trip at the moment. We miss them dearly.

There is a pet sub-fora in the "On The Beach" cute pictures and stuff. :)   

Aggie

The elephant is quite friendly, as is the goat. ;)

Lots of tame parrots about, too.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

These parrots don't bite, they wit.
;)

Welcome DavidH
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Pachyderm

Quite friendly?

Well, until the rum runs out, anyway...

Opsa

I think we have a mouse around here, will that do?

Welcome!

Pachyderm

Griffin NoName

Hi David

If you keep clear of the Moat you'll be fine. Has anyone told you how to find the library yet?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: Griffin NoName on January 19, 2010, 06:30:10 PMIf you keep clear of the Moat you'll be fine. Has anyone told you how to find the library yet?

Moat?  OMFSM, it gets scarier!  :o  But I'd be grateful for a steer to the library.

Bluenose

Greetings and Salutations from the land downunder, David!  A word tot he wise: some siblings have gone exploring the deeper recesses of the Monastery and have never been seen again.  Some have tried to make a map as they went, but they forgot that much of the Monastery exists in L-Space and so it is impossible to map - it changes everytime you go somewhere.  Also, I think Escher may have had a hand in designing some of the less frequented parts, and it is possible that Godel gave him a hand.  But I digress.

Welcome!
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

Unfortunatrely we have spent most of the dough on barfer beer and ribald rum, so there are not yet that many books in the library (unless one includes our collection of trash movies for the Humbleodeon).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

I think the Library is next to the Book Store, but I'm not sure that we have a Book Store.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

And the windmill is next door, I suppose - or is that the organic petrol garage?  ;D

Griffin NoName

I think it might be the Moon Cooler Panel. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Of course!  How silly of me not to realise.

Griffin NoName

No, not at all; I cheated and observed it through the camera obscura.
Psychic Hotline Host

stellinacadente

"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Sibling DavidH

I'm sure it's high time this thread was left to fade away, but before we leave it:
Can someone please explain about the "warm and fuzzies"?  They seem to be good things to accumulate, but I'd love to know exactly what they are given for, and who awards them.
Perhaps it's explained somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.  I'm too busy dodging the squidlings while hunting for the rere dorter.  ;D ;D

Opsa

I'd be glad to help you here. "Warm and Fuzzies" is a device granted to all full Toadfish Siblings so that they can give someone else a more-or-less anonymous hug or a slap on the back. Most of us forget we can do this, but every once in awhile someone says something so wonderful we just want to give 'em a bear hug and this is how we can do that. We just tap on Hug on their post box and they get a hug. Noticing you've been fuzzied is a happy thing.

Each of us can give one hug to each Sibling only once in 24 hours. I don't know why.

(We are also capable of giving a hiss, which subtracts warm and fuzzies, but this has only been used in extremely rare occasions. Generally we're too nice to hiss anyone.)

We hope you'll hang around and contribute long enough to become a novice and a full Sibling, so you can give fuzzies too if you like. It's kinda like Secret Karma Santa.

Karma Santa? Sounds like some kinda bearded erotica...

Sibling DavidH

Thank you, O exalted one.
Maybe Secret Karma Santa would be a good topic next December.  :D

Opsa

Exalted? Me? No, more like exhausted. Or eccentric. Okay, both.

Aphos

BTW, David, Ahoy matie.

I've seen some of your posts, but have been remiss in greeting you.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: Aphos on January 30, 2010, 10:18:54 PM
BTW, David, Ahoy matie.

I've seen some of your posts, but have been remiss in greeting you.

Thanks!

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Lindorm

Sorry for my terrible manners, but a very belated Welcome! to you, David!  :)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling DavidH

gregology

Hello everyone!  I'm yet another newbie. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions :)

Griffin NoName

Hi there gregology. I notice how humble you are having a lower case g at the start of your name ;D

Others will be along to welcome you. Don't worry if they warn you about the moat and squidlings etc. and be careful if they offer you Cap' Blue's Special Brew.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Welcome Greg...ology? Is it because of your gregarious nature? A geologist perhaps?

Welcome anyway.  :D
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Welcome, gregology!  Don't worry, the squidlings don't hurt (much).  Just stay away from the moat and watch out for shoggoths.  :mrgreen:
Love your website.  Greetings to Oz.

Darlica

Aphos

Welcome...Greg?  Or one who studies Gregs?  Or both?
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Pachyderm

I notice no-one has warned him about the Fish-'ead Stoo. So I shall.

Be very, very careful if offered FHS. Don't run, it just thinks you want to play if you do.

Anyway, welcome.

Opsa

Happy to see you, gregology. I thought maybe you were studying Gregorian monks or something.

Aggie

Welcome aboard, matey!
WWDDD?