News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

serger

Started by pieces o nine, April 22, 2012, 04:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

So I went berserk and acquired a serger, something I've been wanting for a very long time.  [Actually, I had a small one before and -- eventually -- burned the motor out on velvet renaissance dresses and such, but that was another time and another story.]  

I picked one out last spring(!) and mentioned to V that I was saving for it. The next thing I knew, she was 'watching' several on Ebay, each more grandiose than the last, having become an instant expert after quickly reading up on them. So, yeah... My comments on buying local for all the obvious reasons were fun to say, but no one heard them. ;)  In the end, I talked her out of buying two(!) (one for each of us OMG!) and into getting just one, originally a very high end model which actually sounded like a good deal. So. Yeah. Long story short, you will be STUNNED to learn that something is wrong and it's inoperable. It's also been at a local shop for "repairs" for almost a year now with no discernible work being done. So I've written off the half-share I gave her and told her that if she ever gets it running, it's hers and she's welcome to it.

Meanwhile, I am thoroughly enjoying the model I originally picked out -- on a fantastic sale. Today I stocked up on threads and I am solemnly promising to perpetrate my summer "Bitch Wear"  (ha!)  in a fraction of the time and with more professional results than with a conventional machine. I've started a few recycled baby bib overalls -- they are going to be cute, cute, CUTE!

I'm also pleased to note that the local Radison has "gone green" and changed its affiliation and remodel to reflect that. It will still be the go-to hotel for the leisured class, and we've been invited to put some of our best samples in their local artisans showcase. Yays. More on this as it develops...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Looks like a great machine.

I have something similar with which I've always been very happy. It's got more functions than I need, but better more than less. I got my first machine around the age of seven (old Victorian one - my grandmother's)!
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I had never heard of a serger before this. (Prolly because I am dreadful at any kind of stitchery.) Looks absolutely fascinating.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

???

I'm a bit confused-- I do know what a serger machine is as I was briefly married to a woman who fancied herself something of an expert seamstress.  (she could have been, had she had the ability to actually finish what she started... alas.)

Anyway, she was always lusting/talking about getting a serger machine, and how it would be the "magic bullet" to make her ailing "career" as a seamstress really take off.... right.

But what is confusing me, is the comments that seem to indicate there was a link to a picture?  Or something?   I see neither a link nor a pic, but I'm in unwrapped, so maybe I'm missing something?

Curious, is all-- as I'd not heard the term "serger" since the 80's (back during my experimenting with marriage phase).   ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

Sorry to confuse, Bob; I didn't include either a picture or a link.
For the "morbidly curious"   ;)  this is the model I chose: Janome 7933.

It's a serious enough machine to handle serious workloads, yet still moderately priced and easy to change threads (which can be a real drag with more intricate models). I love them because a seam is stitched and finished cleanly in just one pass, which significantly reduces the time needed to generate a professional looking result.

The mantra I keep repeating to V when she wants to cut finishing steps: There is a big difference between hand-made and home-made!  I was taught proper methods for clean finishing seams with a conventional machine when I was a wee lass; but they can take multiple passes, and get dicey on small items or difficult-to-maneuver areas. I expect the construction to be perfect -- when someone is inspecting an item it shouldn't distract from the design or handwork details.

Finished my first piece in 1/3 of the normal time. It looks great and I am happy.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

That's what I thought it was-- in your case, a 4 needle edge-machine (to be more technical).

I occasionally see these for sale in pawn shops, and I'm always fascinated by their complexity.   

But my modest talents has no need of such:  my ancient cast-iron Honer machine is sufficient.  (yes, it's electric... barely... <heh>)

pieces o nine

Someday -- far, far in the future! -- I'd like my mom's Singer. I don't know how old it is but she had it when I was little, and it was a big deal when I graduated off a 'learning' model and was allowed to use hers. It's electric rather than treadle, built as a work horse and still going strong. There is a set of cam attachments for assorted sizes (and shapes!) of buttonholes, which still give more professional looking and more durable results than my considerably newer model.

Last on my wish list is a no-frills workhorse designed for and dedicated to leather. I can do it on mine, but even with leather needles and proper threads it's a challenge. The feed dogs don't drop on this model, and I'm going to try a new walking foot to keep the layers moving steadily without catching, skipping stitches, or committing sporadic tension faux-pauses. A strip of waxed paper on the bottom has been yielding the best results recently.

If any siblings sew leather, slippy [costume] fabrics (Opsa?) or anything else unusual, let's compare tricks of the trade.

My ancient all-metal Hother can sew leather, and has done that on occasion.  <<-- note the correct spelling of the name-- I just looked at it again.

When my ex bought it from a sewing machine repair guy for $50 (!!!) she asked him if he'd adjust it for leather, and he did.   She asked me if $50 was worth it, and I asked, "how old is it?"   She replied neither she nor the repair guy could tell, but it was all metal, mostly cast-iron and machined parts, in a wooden cabinet.  

My reply, without hesitation:  "buy it-- the cabinet is worth $50 if nothing else".   The repair guy had said he had about $50 in it, so $50 is all we paid!  I've since seen similar examples in flea markets for >$300 and more.... sure, the cabinets were in better shape, finish-wise, but so what?

Interestingly, the cabinet is much newer than the machine is-- it has plastic fittings inside the front door, giving it away as likely being from the '60s.   The machine could date from then, too, I suppose-- I've never researched how old it really is, but I don't think this cabinet was original to the machine.  

A bit of googling, and these apparently are kinda rare birds.  I've since discovered the light attachment was a later add-in "extra" (as I have long suspected)-- it's silver, and the cord is too modern.   The motor is not an original Hother motor either, as the original used a cloth, square-cross section belt, rather than the "universal" rubber belt I have on it. The replacement motor had a hand-fabricated bracket to attach it to the back of the Hother, and is silver-- all the original motors are black, as is the original motor-bracket.  The replacement motor's drive pulley is machined to fit the rubber "universal" belts I use, and these rubber belts seem to work fine against the square-channel on the sewing machine's main drive wheel.

Apparently this model could also be fitted out to run via a treadle assembly-- but I do not have that, alas-- it'd be kinda cool if I did.   But that makes me think it's older than I had originally thought.  Perhaps pre-dating WW2?   Seems likely.   I wish I had the original motor, though-- these could be rebuilt completely (as was often the case in those old motors-- everything could be taken apart and reworked, and reassembled).

I really ought to paint the replacement motor & light attachment a nice shiny black, to match the machine itself.

More googling, and apparently these Hother machines were also re-labeled as "Regina" machines-- mine's not.  

Another thread suggested the machine was made by a company called "Juki"?  And interestingly enough, Juki is still in business!  But I cannot seem to find any other connections between "Juki" and "Hother" other than forum discussions.   Juki is a Japanese company, I just confirmed that, and it's hardly surprising they would sell under a non-Japanese name, if just post WW2.   Remember the "Datsun" automobile name?  They wanted to avoid a too-Japanese sounding name, and certainly wished to avoid any connection with the Japanese military; Nissan was (in)famous for making WW2 war material.

So I could easily see "Hother" as the Americanized name for this import, if the Hother<-->Juki connection is valid.

Well, there's not much about "Hother" other than pure-D speculation.   Apparently it's something called a "Type 15 clone" which was made in droves back in the day, essentially a copy of a particular Singer machine (type 15).  Many were improved by the copycat companies, adding additional innovations.

But this fits, as I have always used the old Singer accessories for this thing, from bobbins to needles to different pressor feet.    

It's amusing how much time you can waste on pursuit of an interest.    I know more than I did before, but none of my actual questions have been answered....  ::)  And I have even more questions that I had before I began the search.   :ROFL:

Ain't the intertubes fun?

Aggie

Mom's got an old treadle Singer, complete with cast iron frame, wood cabinet and leather drive 'belt'.  I think my sister's got dibs on it, but if she doesn't want it (eventually), I will definitely be hanging on to it.

I've got undisputed dibs on Dad's vinyl collection. :)
WWDDD?

I used to have a really, really comfortable swivel chair made of naugahyde.   I did feel guilty as it no doubt took dozens of nagas' hides to create the chair, but it was very comfy.

Alas, it went the way of the dodo, when a cat discovered his favorite sharpening post was.... naugahyde.

Sometimes, though, I miss that chair. 

On a still summer day, you could even smell the nagas...

Darlica

Ah! A serger is an overlock machine (or at least that's what we call them over here...)
Never actually tried to work such a beast, I'm afraid it would end in tears and plastic splinters. ;)

This is what I use, this one is in a shinier condition than mine tough.
Sheeting like fabrics, jeans, wool, canvas, even leather it handles just fine, silk and such... Forget it... :D Still lovely little machine works just fine for for me.

My tip which actually is my mothers, who is a much better seamstress than I is using scotch magic tape when sewing:
1. Flimsy slippy fabric: tape both "under side" and "over side" piece of fabric (tape on the side that will come in contact with the machine)  even before putting it together with needles. The fabric will stay put, the needles won't tear any threads and when sewing the fabric will not get caught in the feeding mechanism.
2: when sewing in leather, canvas or other "rough" fabrics that the foot won't slide on properly, tape the "over side"

:)

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 25, 2012, 03:49:46 AM

If any siblings sew leather, slippy [costume] fabrics (Opsa?) or anything else unusual, let's compare tricks of the trade.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Hey!  I have a chainsaw that is the exact same brand.... only my saw is international orange...

.. but I love that say, it always Just Works.  Tough, too-- I've abused it many times, and it still keep cuttin'

pieces o nine

That's a good tip, Darlica; thanks.   :)
I've used miles of lightweight tracing paper strips for the same intents -- I think I'll try your mom's tape trick for my next stab at leather.

Bob: apparently Darlica's Husqvarna handles everything she's likely to throw at it, except balks at silk. You didn't mention whether yours Just Works on silk or not...   ;)

Quote from: pieces o nine on May 04, 2012, 04:26:08 AM
Bob: apparently Darlica's Husqvarna handles everything she's likely to throw at it, except balks at silk. You didn't mention whether yours Just Works on silk or not...   ;)

I suspect not:  silk clothing, prior to the days of modern plastic fibers, was often used as "armor" or protective clothing.

:mrgreen:

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on May 04, 2012, 03:30:23 AM
Hey!  I have a chainsaw that is the exact same brand.... only my saw is international orange...

.. but I love that say, it always Just Works.  Tough, too-- I've abused it many times, and it still keep cuttin'

Dad used to sell 'em... they're popular with Canadian lumberjacks, as are silks, apparently:  ::)
[youtube=425,350]5zey8567bcg[/youtube]
WWDDD?

Darlica

There are Husqvarna chainsaws in the family too... L has one, mostly retired these days albeit it's not as old as my sewing machine.  ;)

The current beast of burden is a Jonsered though, but that's an entirely different thread. ;D

Pieces: I'm happy to share! :)
Another tip (you have probably used or figured this out your self but if not)
If you are making something with a wider hem like a curtain and want that hem to be perfectly straight you can make a guideline by applying a piece of masking tape on the board of the machine(inside of the foot) at the right width (mesure from the needle).

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Roland Deschain

Nice purchase, PoN. I've not used a sewing machine since school. I think mum still has my great-grandmother's Singer in the loft somewhere. Now that's an old one.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers