News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

dremeliscious

Started by pieces o nine, May 24, 2011, 06:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Ayuh, and you have actual devils down there, albeit not on the mainland. ;)
WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Bluenose on September 27, 2011, 07:06:35 AM
You know, I think I'm rather glad to live in a place where there really isn't any large predators to worry about.  Except Crocodiles in northern parts.  OTOH, there are a miriad small things that can give you pause to think.  I guess its a case of better the devil you know...

Am I not correct, in remembering that of the world's natural poisons (i.e. from various animal species), among the top 10, 7 are from your neck of the woods?

::)  :D

Or is my memory playing tricks again...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Bluenose

Well, there's 7 of the world's most dangerous venemous snakes including all of the top 5.  There's irakandji (sp?) which can kill you in a few minutes, although usually it takes a bit longer.  Box jelly fish do kill on occasion.  Blue ringed octopus and cone fish (a type of shell fish) also can kill you.  And then there are funnel web and red back spiders, although red backs are not usually fatal.

The thing is, these things usually only get you if you're careless or just really unlucky.  They don't hunt you or eat you.  A very important distinction!

As for Tassie Devils, they are really sweet little beggars.  You just don't want to get between one and its food...  We have one of the refuge population at the Healesville Sanctuary, not far from Casa Del Blue, about 20 minutes drive.  I must say though, that I'm really worried about the devil's future with the facial tumour disease.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

As Pratchett wrote about XXXX: Not many poisonous snakes. Most have been killed by the spiders :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

We have some pretty fierce rabbits.  One scratched me once.

pieces o nine

Arrrgh, like this, then?

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Yes, but this one was kind of grey and black.  They're the worst.  :mrgreen:

Bluenose

David, I assume you must have forgotten your Holy Hand Grenade...
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling DavidH

No, here it is.

I'm saving it for something really nasty, like a mouse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on September 29, 2011, 09:00:09 AM
Yes, but this one was kind of grey and black.  They're the worst.  :mrgreen:

Indeed, they are... http://www.sluggy.com/ .... 'ware the rabbit.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)