News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What significant things have I done today?

Started by Griffin NoName, April 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruder Cuzzen

This last one actually hurt for a sec , the nurse pushed it in so quickly , Felt faint for about 5 seconds afterwards . I don' t remember that happening for just a small sample . The previous nurses were very good , i barely felt a thing , and yes not looking helps a lot .
They are keeping an eye on my liver function due to the prednisone .

Opsa

Good for you to keep up with that, even though it's a pain in the ..er... arm.

Bruder Cuzzen

After a year and a half trying to find a GP i finally found an excellent one through a good friend.
Gave me a shot for pneumonia , i barely felt it .
But i have to go for more blood tests on tuesday after a visit with the neuro opthamogist and my regular vision field test .

My prognosis over the spinal problem is not good am i am depressed about my future of pain and further degeneration , i inherited some lousy genes as well as my poor younger brother who is approaching the final stage of the ataxia .
It always breaks my heart to see him but he soldiers on with great spirit . I think his faith keeps him going , something i lost long ago and really dont see any point of striving to attain .... but part three of The Hobbit is just nine months away , so things could be worse !

Griffin NoName

It's good to have a GP that you like, especially if you are going to need a lot of help.

I don't know how to live with the knowledge that it will all get worse. I am so sorry.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I am sorry, BC. I hope that things will turn around for you as medicine improves. Hang onto the better days. We're thinking about you.

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Not that significant in the great shape of things but my epic now exceeds 700 stanzas (á 4 lines each). I aim for 1000 in the final version.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

Swatopluk

Epic poems are not that popular these days compared to 800 years ago. And me having enough time on my hands for doing stuff like this means that I am still unemployed. I am even seriously considering to apply to become a teacher. Berlin is now so desperate that they will try almost anyone provided they went to and finished the university. This could mean me turning into a school teacher of chemistry and maybe Latin as second. Not really a happy thought.

Griffin NoName

I suppose it's which is worse. Being unemployed, or being a teacher.  :(
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 25, 2014, 04:34:21 PM
Epic poems are not that popular these days compared to 800 years ago. And me having enough time on my hands for doing stuff like this means that I am still unemployed. I am even seriously considering to apply to become a teacher. Berlin is now so desperate that they will try almost anyone provided they went to and finished the university. This could mean me turning into a school teacher of chemistry and maybe Latin as second. Not really a happy thought.

I had originally thought to go into teaching after finishing a degree (plus the education tack-on).  My aim was high school sciences, but I guess I did enough biology to have a passing acquaintance with Latin (which is rarely/never taught in secondary schools here, in any case).

At least I've got a job that utilizes my chemistry skills, although I really could use some proper volumetric glassware at the bar. ;)
WWDDD?

Opsa

What you got in that flask?

Swato, what if you taught something you are really passionate about, like epic poetry or something having to do with battle axes? History of ancient wars? Can you specialize? Your enthusiasm on subjects you love might make a difference to both you and the students.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Or teaching at the university?
--
I don't mind teaching provided the students actually want to learn (which was my experience doing it at the uni). Highschool can be a bit more challenging.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Only schools in Berlin (due to planning incompetence) are so short on teachers that 'side-entries' are even considered. Universities have far to many interested in a teaching position for me to have any chance. And history is one of the few subjects with enough teachers available (one other is geography).
I had 9 years of Latin at school and also took a few courses at the university as a time filler, so I have some qualifications there. Plus Latin at school serves also as an introduction to grammar and parts of history.

Opsa

I have a good friend who teaches Latin at a private school and even though music is his forte (he came in as music teacher, but had to fill in for a missing Latin teacher) he is enjoying it. The introductory course is challenging for him because some students are being "made" to take Latin, but the higher classes are smaller and much more fun because the kids have a knack for it and want to learn more. PLUS- he can choose what they translate. (He chose Harry Potter.) So maybe you can choose something that you like for them to translate -like epic poetry!- and bring it to life for them.

Th'Opsalette took Latin I last year and liked it so much that she's gone on to Latin 2. Her teacher is really creative and wonderful.