News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Roman Polanski

Started by Aggie, September 28, 2009, 08:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Anyone care to defend the case of NOT extraditing and prosecuting this individual?

I really can't read this any other way than a piece of human scum who intentionally drugged and raped a 13-year-old child who JUST SAID NO. Artistic achievements and/or the passage of time do not count as excuses in my books, and I don't mark the fact that the (now) woman who was victimized is pushing for the case to be dropped as sufficient to clear him.  >:(

Helen Goddard might get a bit of sympathy from me (although I don't think her sentence was out of line; teachers are in a position of authority and she deserves to be punished for lapsed judgment), but the defense in the media and by certain countries of Mr. Polanski is IMNSHO disgusting.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The incident is more than 30 years old and the victim would love to skip the attention. I don't condone in any way Mr. Polansky's actions but I have the feeling that the whole thing is a bit out of proportion all around. Now the extradition case will drag for months and the victim has become the victim (of the media attention, reliving the incident, etc) again.

There should be a way to solve this things in a better way. Besides, how is it that for 30 years the guy has come and gone from Switzerland and now he gets arrested? I wonder what changed.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I do sympathize with the victim and understand why one would like to spare her the anguish, but he skipped the country and stayed skipped simply to avoid this; how is this acceptable?

As for proportion, I think while there's plenty of media circus because he's a celebrity, he's getting a gruesome amount of slack because of it as well.  Read the details of the actual event (not the lesser charge of sex with a minor that he plea-bargained it down to).  I'm aware that the definition of 'sodomy' has changed since the charges were originally laid, but it was flat-out premeditated child rape.

Most countries have no problems extraditing proven child-sex-tourists, how does the fact that this was done on the pretext of a 'photo shoot' change what happened?
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It doesn't. And it shouldn't be statutory rape either if the description of the events by the victim is accurate.

It still bothers me that it took 30 years and there is a chance that he never gets extradited anyway, making the whole circus worse. It's like the Swiss prosecutor decided one morning "Mmm, lets arrest this guy, he had it coming anyway".

Griffin NoName

It is very odd that it has surfaced now. Is it naive to assume there must be a reason why it has?

No one is above the law and especially not for being famous or creative. Some of the doctors in the Nazi regime were creative.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm sure there is a reason, although how germane that reason would be is a different matter all together.

Opsa

I smell a rat in book or movie form.

Polanski should not be pardoned simply because he is a genius (which he is), or because he has avoided being nabbed until now. He did the crime and must do the time. Otherwise it is a mockery of the U.S. laws against raping children.

Zan

Any culture which doesn't defend its children is a culture that is doomed and, what's more, deserves to be doomed.

The fact that it happened 30 years ago makes no difference.  The statute of limitations does not apply, as he is a fugitive from an in-progress court proceeding.

A pedophile is a monster, and if the justice system won't hunt monsters, then of what possible use is it?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Zan on September 30, 2009, 10:03:11 PM
if the justice system won't hunt monsters, then of what possible use is it?
To place and remove scarecrows periodically?

Forgive my cynicism but I agree with a saying we have back home which could be loosely translated like, the justice is for those with ponchos* (IOW, the poor). The biggest monsters in our society rarely visit the accused chair in court, and when they do they frequently get away with it. Do you think the bankers that screw up the economy, or the heads of the previous US administration are trembling in fear of justice? Ha!

Justice won't hunt monsters, just little rats and mice to show they do something.

* not those plastic ones. In the Andes mostly poor people and/or indians use them to keep warm.

Opsa

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 01, 2009, 02:41:36 PM
* not those plastic ones. In the Andes mostly poor people and/or indians use them to keep warm.

:ROFL:

The rest is sad, but often the case. Where do you think Polaski fits in? Is his talent and fame enough power? Or is someone putting a poncho on him for a reason? (Talk about cynical!)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

He is a tiny monster. Or he was, assuming his behavior changed over the years.

My measurement is on the level and amount of damage created, one evil deed (as in this case, again assuming there isn't more) to one person can't be compared to decisions that affect the lives of thousands or millions (in many cases fatally). Polansky is guilty of one rape to an underage girl. Bush & Co are guilty of the deaths -depending who you ask- between 150k to half million people, and the misery of millions more, just counting the Iraq war.

It's like comparing a pebble with a 5Km wide meteoroid.

beagle

I'm all for him standing trial, but on the wider issue I think plea-bargaining is fundamentally immoral. 

If you have evidence for something you should prosecute for that thing, not intimidate somebody with the possibility that a jury will believe something worse, or with bankruptcy by legal costs.
The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

But that would be justice not the pragmatic approach of prosecutors who prefer a simpler and cheaper solution for everybody.

In a perfect world lawyers would have a rating and a balanced number of cases so that the confrontation would be fair (a level 5 lawyer vs a level 5 lawyer) and one side wouldn't be outgunned by the resources of the other side. More rich people would be found guilty and less poor people would be found guilty just on the base of their representation.

A plea bargain is a twisted form of arbitration. Certain things (like divorces) are better served by arbitration, others (like rape, murder, white collar crimes, etc) are better served by a fair trial.

But that's all in Unicorn Land, in the real world the adversarial model of justice becomes a race of resources rather than an exercise of fairness.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 02, 2009, 08:40:07 PM
A plea bargain is a twisted form of arbitration. Certain things (like divorces) are better served by arbitration, others (like rape, murder, white collar crimes, etc) are better served by a fair trial.

But that's all in Unicorn Land, in the real world the adversarial model of justice becomes a race of resources rather than an exercise of fairness.

So better to go and deal out justice oneself - re Polanski, off with his wotsit. :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

THE RED QUEEN HAS SPOKEN!

:yo: