News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

A steampunk CD player

Started by Lindorm, May 11, 2011, 08:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

Someone over at steampunker.ru decided to make a nice, proper CD player instead of those boring grey plastic ones. Interesting pictures, and a very impressive result. I've used google translate for the blogpost, so it's almost comprehensible, too! Hmmm... I must say that I am tempted...

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://steampunker.ru/blog/our_workshop/3130.html
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

I guess I should let that guy build my medieval cipher machines :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

ivor

Wow!  I'd make laptops like that if I had any sorta talent with wood.

I want to drop some ITX motherboards in some of these ancient laptop chassis I have and make them powerful on the inside and retro on the outside.  Don't know if that would be kewl or not...

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Dunno about wood (the thermals), but brass could be nice although heavy. Perhaps if you could do the housing in aluminum in some retro style...

As for the player, my respects to the guy doing it.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

ivor

Yeah, all brass would be kewl!  I've been thinking about something like that lately.  An all metal chassis with plexi.  Make it look something like the desktop case that mounts everything in the open but as a laptop.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Using a microITX board or something of the sort with a low profile heatsink. The only down side is the battery, but you really don't need it as a true laptop...  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

ivor

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 11, 2011, 08:43:25 PM
Using a microITX board or something of the sort with a low profile heatsink. The only down side is the battery, but you really don't need it as a true laptop...  ;)

It's gonna have a battery in it.  Not sure about how long it will last.  I got a line on the low-profile heat-sinks and a DC-to-DC board that's like a laptop charger board but bigger.

I love that steampunk stuff though.  Damn that's kewl!  I've got some Pentium 4s that would probably make steam for real...

pieces o nine

I love these beautiful modifications!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I also enjoyed the translations: 
"Player will eat from the network."
:)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on May 12, 2011, 02:18:42 AM
Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 11, 2011, 08:43:25 PM

It's gonna have a battery in it.  Not sure about how long it will last.  I got a line on the low-profile heat-sinks and a DC-to-DC board that's like a laptop charger board but bigger.

I love that steampunk stuff though.  Damn that's kewl!  I've got some Pentium 4s that would probably make steam for real...

If you opt for brass?  Why not couple the heatsink directly to the brass casing itself?  Brass is an excellent conductor of heat...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on May 13, 2011, 02:03:10 AM
If you opt for brass?  Why not couple the heatsink directly to the brass casing itself?  Brass is an excellent conductor of heat...

Oh heck ya!  Gonna take a hint from the Mac play-book on that one.  I'm going for an antique Borg look on it.

Opsa

Rats! My computer won't go to the translation or the original page, right now at least. I love steampunk artifacts, though. So quaint.