News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Big TV lust (split)

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, November 08, 2009, 06:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on November 08, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
- just bought a big plasma TV (not really important in my life, but I wanted to brag a little :mrgreen: ) 106 cm one.. :-)

Let's see.... I'm a confirmed Yank, so.... 106 cm divided by 2.54 equals approximately 41 inches?

You'll note I focused in on teh Shiny.

;D  :D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Dam, when you say 41 inches, it doesn't seem that big and glorious anymore. I'll stick too 106 cm. :d

Quote from: Opsanus tau on November 08, 2009, 04:24:35 PM
:glomp:
Sounds like you're doing great all the way around! I am delighted to see you here.

Yes Opsa, everything seems to be working out at the moment, knock on wood.

And trust me, I'm delighted to be here!

I'm back..

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on November 08, 2009, 06:25:09 PM
Dam, when you say 41 inches, it doesn't seem that big and glorious anymore. I'll stick too 106 cm. :d

Are you daft, man?

41 inches is huge....most folk don't even have the room to hang it.  ;D :ROFL:

Unless, of course, they are renting in a really crappy neighborhood, and then?  If your TV is less than 60" plasma, that is worth more than the car you drive?  You are nobody.... of course, these folk rarely pay "retail" if you knowwhatImean...

::)

(you see a lot of stuff, if your job involves fixing recalcitrant furnaces and broken-down A/Cs...)

Aggie

I just bought a new "TV" too (Samsung monitor with built-in digital TV tuner, although I haven't picked up any stations yet ::)), whopping 22". ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on November 08, 2009, 06:08:25 PM
Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on November 08, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
- just bought a big plasma TV (not really important in my life, but I wanted to brag a little :mrgreen: ) 106 cm one.. :-)
Let's see.... I'm a confirmed Yank, so.... 106 cm divided by 2.54 equals approximately 41 inches?
That's about as big as the one in my livingroom (which is a 720p LCD). When laser projectors become bright and affordable enough I might get one.  ;)

Still I'd love to have a bigger TV.

In my home office.

As the monitor*!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*currently I have a 24" 1080 capable ws but no TV card. I only receive local channels in digital so it rarely make a difference.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I didn't have a TV at all for a while there (and no cable or other signal-source for years), so this is a step up from our 16" CRT monitor (which was fulfilling TV duties).  Still need an antenna for the digital signal pickup, I think.

I also bought the 22" as a trial for maybe picking up a 25.5" version of the same unit, primarily as a TV but with the flexibility to kick it back to monitor duty in the future if/when a bigger TV is purchased.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

<unhumble> It's a good job Zan never made it into this thread /Meeting Hall. Not just quite appalling topic drift, but outright topic disobedience <end unhumble>
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

S'why we keep it away from those who might not be used to the ebb and flow of the Monastery tides. ;)
WWDDD?

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on November 09, 2009, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on November 08, 2009, 06:25:09 PM

Are you daft, man?

41 inches is huge....most folk don't even have the room to hang it.  ;D :ROFL:

I know. It's just playing with numbers, 41 looks less glorious than 106. :D

Just kidding, I like the huge TV, even though I try not to spend too much time watching it.. And it's also a shame that there are not many programs that I could fully enjoy, as I have no cable (but this might change soon enough,  I hope), so the offer on programs in HD is very limited.

But I'm thinking about getting a Blu-Ray, once the prices drop a little. :)

I'm back..

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Get a DVD with HDMI upscaling, you'd be surprised how good it works (and how little is the difference with Blueray). Unless you watch your movies at 30cm from the screen AND the TV is 1080 AND the source is 1080p (and not excesively/badly compressed*) you won't find a significant change in quality (compared with upscaled DVDs).

I'm not getting into the BR wagon until the media prices match DVDs and there is a relatively easy way to copy the disks.

*for instance, I read complaints that the first BR of the Fifth Element looked like sh!t because it was badly mastered in it's BR incarnation.

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 10, 2009, 06:22:17 PM
Get a DVD with HDMI upscaling, you'd be surprised how good it works (and how little is the difference with Blueray). Unless you watch your movies at 30cm from the screen AND the TV is 1080 AND the source is 1080p (and not excesively/badly compressed*) you won't find a significant change in quality (compared with upscaled DVDs).

I'm not getting into the BR wagon until the media prices match DVDs and there is a relatively easy way to copy the disks.

*for instance, I read complaints that the first BR of the Fifth Element looked like sh!t because it was badly mastered in it's BR incarnation.

Hmmm... one more reason to wait.

As for me?  I'll get a PSx console-- whatever # it is by then-- for my player.  I've heard that's the way to go anywho.  I refuse to pay for high-end components, when I don't possess high-end ears and/or eyes.  :P

And as a bonus, I get a nice gaming console, if I want.   Used, of course-- what else?

Have they fixed The Fifth Element?   One of my favorite flicks...

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 10, 2009, 06:22:17 PM

I'm not getting into the BR wagon until the media prices match DVDs and there is a relatively

Didn't know there was something like that, guess I have a lot to learn.. :) Any tip on which one to get?

And, btw, I'm also not getting on the BR wagon yet, I still find the discs too expensive, so are the players IMO (although their prices are getting somehow lower..).

PS: sorry about the topic thread Grif. If you want, you can move this part somewhere else, in order not to disturb the silent monks.. :)

I'm back..

Bluenose

I got all excited when I read above that The Fifth Element was a movie  - then I realised I was thinking of The Fifth Elephant - bummer!

BTW, I quite enjoyed The Fifth Element, but any Terry Pratchett stuff will always get me going!

:offtopic:   <<<<--------- for sensitive silent types.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Kiyo, most brands have HDMI 1080i/p capable DVD players nowadays. I currently own two cheap Philips (mainly to have interchangeable remotes) which do the job quite well (and are DivX capable too). In the States you can get one for ~$45. Dunno in CZ though.

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 11, 2009, 02:10:53 PM
Kiyo, most brands have HDMI 1080i/p capable DVD players nowadays. I currently own two cheap Philips (mainly to have interchangeable remotes) which do the job quite well (and are DivX capable too). In the States you can get one for ~$45. Dunno in CZ though.

Now that you mention it, I've been using my X-box console as a DVD player for quite some time, now.   It has HDMI output, which is how I have it connected.  So I suppose that's upscaled too?  I should check it out-- my TV has a slow CPU in it, and it takes 2-3 seconds to switch between HDTV mode and the "regular" TV mode--- (very irritating, if I'm surfing the tv schedule at random-- I have to wait 2-3 seconds between format shifts).

In any case, I can set the TV into HD mode, then turn on the console w/movie in, and see what happens.  Shifting back-and-forth (between the movie being played and cable HD) ought to expose a format-shift in the TV due to the 2-3 second delay inherent in the TV itself.

I'll report back what I find.   X-box 360s, used, can be had on the very cheap these days.