News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Adobe Photoshop

Started by Griffin NoName, May 06, 2009, 07:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Actually MS Photo Editor was a totally different program, not part of office, I think a freebeee,  which I never used...... didn't have as many functions as PhotoDraw, but may well have been as good as and easier than PhotoShop too ! 

MS seems determined to drop its best "features" (demise of Outlook Express) and keep its worst. <snarl>

Mero, FYI, I went into MS Word and used the draw-objects-arrow feature to draw two perfectly straight lines arrows - always works a treat. They are dead straight on screen and paper. Transfered the "picture" into Adobe Photoshop and the arrow's straight lines are jagged. On the screen. Haven't tried printing from Photoshop to see if they print straight. However, if they do print out straight from PhotoShop then I don't think that will make me any happier using PhotoShop......
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 11, 2009, 09:08:59 AM
Actually MS Photo Editor was a totally different program, not part of office, I think a freebeee,  which I never used...... didn't have as many functions as PhotoDraw, but may well have been as good as and easier than PhotoShop too ! 

Yes, perhaps...  I can't recall if the computer I had it on actually had Office (think so, but I believe the program was more ubiquitous than that?), although it was also included in early Office versions:

QuoteMicrosoft Photo Editor was an image-editing application found in Microsoft Office 97–XP versions for Windows, classified as one of Microsoft Office Tools. It has been replaced by Microsoft Office Picture Manager, although some Photo Editor features are not available in Picture Manager.[1]
WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 11, 2009, 09:08:59 AM

MS seems determined to drop its best "features" (demise of Outlook Express) and keep its worst. <snarl>

Mero, FYI, I went into MS Word and used the draw-objects-arrow feature to draw two perfectly straight lines arrows - always works a treat. They are dead straight on screen and paper. Transfered the "picture" into Adobe Photoshop and the arrow's straight lines are jagged. On the screen. Haven't tried printing from Photoshop to see if they print straight. However, if they do print out straight from PhotoShop then I don't think that will make me any happier using PhotoShop......

I'm not surprised.

Adobe products are deliberately obtuse, as far as I can tell.  That, and huge bloated require-more-PC-than-anyone-has sorts as well.

And demand that they be the ONLY program running, and REFUSE to quit running after you exit (they always leave bits if themselves running in the background, in case you want to run them again within 30 seconds?)

bleah

I refuse to have anything to do with Adobe-- I don't even use their bloat-ware PDF reader.

As for drawing programs.... I used Paint Shop Pro for years, until it went kaput.   Now, it's owned by Corel, and I've not used the Corel-owned version myself.  But they do have a free download/trial....

If it's not too late to return Adobe junkware?*  You could give Paint Shop a try...

*In my opinion
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Much too late to return...... even though I haven't opened it yet as I am still using the trial version, which I didn't try enough before buying.....................

I had PaintShop Pro too and didn't like that either, but I disliked it less than I dislike PhotoShop.

Bit stumped as to what to buy/install now. I use "drawing objects" etc a lot and at present I am doing that in MS Word which is ridiculous.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

:update: :update: :update:

I think my life has been saved !!  I have discovered that one of my old MS Office discs has PhotoDraw version 2 which will apparenty install in Vista OK.

I am so happy.
Psychic Hotline Host

Darlica

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on May 11, 2009, 02:25:11 PM

I'm not surprised.

Adobe products are deliberately obtuse, as far as I can tell.  That, and huge bloated require-more-PC-than-anyone-has sorts as well.

And demand that they be the ONLY program running, and REFUSE to quit running after you exit (they always leave bits if themselves running in the background, in case you want to run them again within 30 seconds?)

bleah

I refuse to have anything to do with Adobe-- I don't even use their bloat-ware PDF reader.

As for drawing programs.... I used Paint Shop Pro for years, until it went kaput.   Now, it's owned by Corel, and I've not used the Corel-owned version myself.  But they do have a free download/trial....

If it's not too late to return Adobe junkware?*  You could give Paint Shop a try...

*In my opinion

For your information Bob, I'm at this very moment running my Adobe Photoshop, firefox, a web radio application, Mozilla Thunder bird, as well Nod 32 antivirus and Zon alarm firewall...
All this on a PC laptop from 2005 with a AMD 64 processor (1.76 GHz) and 512 MB RAM.
Hardly a super machine... ;)

No problems what so ever.

The only programs to ever clash with PS has been 2 antivirus programs "Norton" and "Panda"

As I see it the problem with Adobe isn't their bloated programs... if you compare what you can do with with the size of it, it ain't too bad. The problem is that very few people can use the programs full potential, yours truly included.
However at the moment no other program cut it for a professional, Corel Paint might but that's a seriously demanding program and it doesn't handle photos so well. Still just because one doesn't need or know how to use all the bells and whistles of a program doesn't mean that they are useless to everybody else...  ;)

Photoshop is first and foremost a program for professionals or people with needs reminding of those of a professional photo editor or illustrator, selling it to unsuspecting ordinary customers who just want to do lighter illustration work or doing some restoration and editing of old photos or newly taken ones, is beyond stupid, it's like selling a full restaurant kitchen to someone wanting to buy a tea kettle.   

There should be a Adobe creative suit light, I think, a program that combined the most usable functions from Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. That should cover the in between gap Griffin has fallen into amongst other things.

Have you tried my tour yet Griffin? :)

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Darlica

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 11, 2009, 04:12:13 PM

Much too late to return...... even though I haven't opened it yet as I am still using the trial version, which I didn't try enough before buying.....................

I had PaintShop Pro too and didn't like that either, but I disliked it less than I dislike PhotoShop.

Bit stumped as to what to buy/install now. I use "drawing objects" etc a lot and at present I am doing that in MS Word which is ridiculous.

If I had the money I would take that copy of PS of your hands...
Unfortunately my wallet is not that well at the moment. :-\ ;)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Can't say I've had any problems running PhotoShop with a load of other stuff running too, either. But then I have a machine that ought to be able to cope anyway.

No, I haven't tried yet Darlica, but I did download the stuff you sent me today. I will try it, I just don't know when. There may be stuff I could do better in PhotoShop than PhotoDraw given there are things I can do better in PhotoDraw than PhotoShop it ought to work both ways ;)

I've got PS 6 pre-installed, but I bought PS 7, which I think has something called a Line Tool....... also it came with the video editing suite..... I'm not going to unwrap it yet (it is still sealed in its selophane wrapper) until I feel up to making such a big decision about whether to keep it or try to sell it.
Psychic Hotline Host