News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Started by Griffin NoName, March 11, 2009, 11:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on March 11, 2009, 11:08:28 PM
Hmmm.... I'm still not seeing it.  I run with the script debugger on in IE because I use that for my contracting gig, other than that I don't use it.  When you say "Fun and Games" do you mean the Arcade?

Are you using IE6 or IE7?

Does it on IE7 at work and home (though they're probably set up similarly).

Click on the white "Forum" link with the brown luxury imitation wood veneer background immediately under the picture of the monastery.

Then click on the blue "Fun and Games" link directly beneath it some way down the page.

I wouldn't worry about it though, unless the loss of statistics due to crashing Javascript is a problem (Now why would Google want to lose IE hits  :) ).

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

I get "Errors on page" or "Done, but with errors" in the status bar at the foot of IE on virtually all interaction with the Monastery.

Hence I deduce, it is not worth chasing one error unless you are prepared to chase them all :mrgreen:

This s/w is Very Buggy. Most forum S/w is. It's free innit?  :ROFL:

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 12, 2009, 11:40:32 AM
This s/w is Very Buggy. Most forum S/w is. It's free innit?  :ROFL:

Naughty. Don't bait the hippies.  ;)

Unless you want to spend the time rewriting in Sharepoint.

ivor

Must be some kind of M$ bug because I don't get it FireFox.  M$ software is buggy. :mrgreen:

Thanks beagle!  I'll look into it.  When I click on 'Yes' to debug, it doesn't bring up the debugger. LOL!  M$ sucks.  It just tells me there's an error on line 505.  Can anybody show me where that is?

beagle

I attached to IE with Visual Studio and then paused the program when the message box appeared. It highlit the closing curly bracket of the function below in qa.js.

Quote from: beagle on March 11, 2009, 05:00:38 PM
One of the monastery ones seems to be here in Google Analytics:

u.onload=x||function(){}

I've been out of the Javascript loop for years but what does it mean to set an onload handler to something or-ed with a function that doesn't return a value?

It's not made easier to read by them obfuscating the Javascript and squashing it to maximize download speed.

ivor

Does appear to be some sort of Google Analytics problem.  One would think they would know better than to not test their code on IE browsers.  Or they just don't care about that error.

I don't really want to look at it.  We should just get rid of the GA stuff.  I don't think anybody is looking at it anyways.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on March 12, 2009, 10:20:41 PM
Does appear to be some sort of Google Analytics problem.  One would think they would know better than to not test their code on IE browsers.  Or they just don't care about that error.

I don't really want to look at it.  We should just get rid of the GA stuff.  I don't think anybody is looking at it anyways.

I wouldn't know: I blocked Google Analytics in my NoScript engine years ago, and never looked back....  ::)  :mrgreen:
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on March 12, 2009, 09:00:42 PM
.... the closing curly bracket of the function below in qa.js.

u.onload=x||function(){}
..............what does it mean to set an onload handler to something or-ed with a function that doesn't return a value?

It's not made easier to read by them obfuscating the Javascript and squashing it to maximize download speed.

I reckon they just don't have an inifinty sign on their keybords and that is the closest they can get to writing one. (Presumably they don't have zero keys either). 

[/quote]
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

That's an 'or' so I am guessing that if x is undefined then the empty function will take it's place.  I'm guessing it doesn't work well in M$.

beagle

Maybe it would work rewritten as:

u.onload=x ? x : function(){} ;

That wouldn't rely on function addresses surviving type coercion unscathed.

But I like your plan better...

ivor

Seems like all that GA stuff was put in there the hard way.  The Joomla pages aren't even tracked.  Ugh...I still don't want to mess with it.

Griffin NoName

I wouldn't even consider messing with it. You'd make more people happy by writing a new Joomla/SMF bridge ;)

But. Life is Too Short.
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

Google Analytics has nothing to do with the bridge.  The bridge is between Joomla and SMF. 

When we get into Joomla 1.5 we can use JFusion.  JFusion is better because it doesn't require any patching. JFusion uses plugins.  JFusion also supports SMF (legally) and phpBB3.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on March 13, 2009, 02:16:04 PM
Google Analytics has nothing to do with the bridge.  The bridge is between Joomla and SMF. 

When we get into Joomla 1.5 we can use JFusion.  JFusion is better because it doesn't require any patching. JFusion uses plugins.  JFusion also supports SMF (legally) and phpBB3.

I wasn't saying GA did have anything to do with "the bridge". Why would I think it did?  I was merely being facetious about what to spend time on - or rather what NOT to spend time on ;)

My experience of all this raft of s/w is it is the patching which tends towards ultimately rendering useles...... ie. temptation to make a Mod to add whatever..... with expensive s/w we dont do our own patches.

So I deduce the seduction of free open source s/w has the devil in it. 

~~~~~

Anyone getting Google Advanced Search with missing boxes?   Been like it all day here. Maybe a UK site thing.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It works fine for me but then again I use Firefox. :devil2:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.