News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Started by Griffin NoName, March 11, 2009, 11:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

QUOTE MS*UCKS

http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase3.html

Windows behaviour is incorrect when you use a program that uses DDE to browse pages in IE7
(
(what it does is always open new browser windows when you specifically do not want them..... ending with my whole task bar filling up with new browser instances)

• You start a program that uses Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) to browse Web pages in Windows Internet Explorer 7.

• In Internet Explorer 7, you then click New Window on the File menu.

In this scenario, every time that you click an item in the program to view a Web page, Internet Explorer 7 opens a new window to display the Web page. You expect that the Web page to appear in the existing window.

Additionally, when you right-click an item in the program and then click New Window to open a Web page, Internet Explorer 7 displays the Web page in the most recently opened window. You expect Internet Explorer 7 to display the Web page in a new window.

These problems do not occur in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.

CAUSE
These problems occur because the DDE handler in Internet Explorer 7 does not correctly handle DDE navigation commands.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/938527

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So FAR So Good - at last a problem I have which MS actually knows about.....

BUT  ............... WAIT for IT............................

Try finding KB 938527

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA   no such KB article exists.

SO .................. NO SOLUTION.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone know how to stop Vista thinking it must open https in a new browser window if current window has any http tabs open AND vice versa? 

IF you could see my taskbar you'd be dying laughing.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

OK, it's because I enabled protected mode a few weeks ago and forgot and never spotted it in the bottom right hand corner of the windows when in internet zone.

Nothing to do with the above.

I've reverted to my Security HIGH for internet zone and disabled protected mode.

***   STUPID STUPID ***

OK so it is off now and so I am getting constant warnings at the top under menus
protected mode is off: click here to open security settings

SO HOW do I stop THAT without stopping other type of warnings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I seem to have my brain set with Verbose=ON. 

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 11, 2009, 12:18:32 PM

OK so it is off now and so I am getting constant warnings at the top under menus
protected mode is off: click here to open security settings

I clicked dont show this message again..... I hope it means only the protected mode message and not others... <sigh>

Verbose=ON. 

Still. I hope this tech.blog is fascinating.
[/quote]
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

AND now, when I post replies to this thread nothing displays.... ie. click post, seems to work, address bar shows it is posted and the return address.  asin http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?action=post2;start=0;board=87 and a totally blank page.

Am I INSANE YET????

Verbose=ON. 

A Day In The Life Of a Freak IT User
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 11, 2009, 12:23:46 PM
Am I INSANE YET????

No, not even because i am talking to myself.

I have closed the "protected" instance of this. Will that solve the blank page bug?

NOooooooooooooooooooooooo    it does not work

How about setting privacy - cookies - sites - monastery? 

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo    it still does blank page.

At this point you may wonder how I am posting here at all, given the blank pages.

I am copying http://toadfishmonastery.com/forum/index.php?topic=1861 into the address bar every time.

Is this how Windows IE etc should work?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Any more ideas re blank page

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ok I AM going to kill myself now.

Verbose=ON. 

Not Much Later IN A Day In The Life Of a Freak IT User
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 11, 2009, 12:28:41 PM
Ok I AM going to kill myself now.

Luckily I didn't. Because. I remembered the old trick of adding the monastry into the trusted zone.

You may remember I abandoned the trusted zone.

Soo. Anyway. I have added the monastery into the trusted zone. Now the page displays.

THE BLANK PAGE error has GONE.

BUT.   There is a message "Error on Page" coming from the debugger. Hence I surmise THIS IS AN SMF error HA HA HA I have found another BUG !

LONg LIve The BUGS. 

9 billion points to ME !

Verbose=ON. 

Much Later THAN NeeD Be IN A Day In The Life Of a Freak IT User

[/quote]
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

First
I think the many
Reasons I stopped using
Explorer a while back.
For example to avoid those
Obnoxious issues that would make a
Xylophonist without hands think he is lucky.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 11, 2009, 12:37:55 PM
BUT.   There is a message "Error on Page" coming from the debugger. Hence I surmise THIS IS AN SMF error HA HA HA I have found another BUG !

Disable script debugging in the advanced tab. I get that too because I run with it on so I immediately see if any of our work stuff is generating bad HTML. Usually the monastery SMF stuff seems to be accessing non-existent variables.
The angels have the phone box

beagle

...Although I got "syntax error at line 1136" posting that last one.

ivor

I get script errors at msnbc.com with IE.  :mrgreen:

beagle

One of the monastery ones seems to be here in Google Analytics:

u.onload=x||function(){}

ivor

Quote from: beagle on March 11, 2009, 05:00:38 PM
One of the monastery ones seems to be here in Google Analytics:

u.onload=x||function(){}

Any particular page?  I'm not getting it in IE.

beagle

Happens for me if I click Forum, and then the Fun and Games section.

The other one that crops up is "smf_session_id undefined" which crops up during login.  Neither bother me, and most people don't run with debugging on anyway.

ivor

Hmmm.... I'm still not seeing it.  I run with the script debugger on in IE because I use that for my contracting gig, other than that I don't use it.  When you say "Fun and Games" do you mean the Arcade?

Are you using IE6 or IE7?

Griffin NoName

OMG OMG everyone is taking my blog for serious consumtption. Hey!!  I am going to publish this as Griffin's Jones's Diary, hell it makes a good read, makes one cry big tears, it is a real tear jerker.

BUT I think when he says u.onload he means Hey! You! Get it all off your chest. Relax Man. But you seem to be trying to read something else into it. That's what happens with this crap. Does a young lass want to know she isn't protected? No. I ddin't think so. Life is a paradigm. Mero seems to know how to cope. He just spouts Poetry.

Happiness is not having too many windows open.

Just to set the record straight, I run with de bugger on intramittently. I get withdrawal symptoms from the living hell of it being on if I have it off too long. Sad or what?   Yes, sad, that last sentence contains a deliberate mistake by the way.

OK. Rally round. I haven't found a bug for at least two hours now.
Psychic Hotline Host