News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Like cats? Hate rats? National Geographic short video

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, December 10, 2006, 02:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

This is an interesting short National Geographic Video about 'hunting' cats.

The domestic variety, as seen in many of our homes.  :ninja:

Pretty cool - they have a tiny camera attached to the cat's collar as she hunts down a rat.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

I have a little six pound cat that brings home rats, bunnies and birds all the time even though she is declawed.  She sweet and timid unless you're small and fluffy.  ;D

MB

The Black Spot

We've got three cats. Quite often they leave us a little "gift" on the doorstep (mice, pigeons, squirrels).

They're lovely creatures, very affectionate and all that, but I'm glad they're not any bigger -- or it'd be me left on the doorstep one morning.

goat starer

personally cant stand cats. They keep eating my fish and every now and then one sneaks into the house and spends a week in the cellar before I realise. give me a good rat any day!
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Bluenose

I have always liked cats.  Currently we have two, de-sexed strictly indoor cats.  This way the local bird life and frogs, lizards, fish, tadpoles etc in our garden are safe from them.  We do have neighbour's cats visiting, but we have been discouraging them and their visits are getting less and less.  Once we have finished building the garden we will get a couple of small dogs.  That should be the end of the visiting cat issue.

I feel very strongly that people should be responsible in their pet ownership and especially where I live where there is a lot of threatened wildlife, I do not agree that cats should be allowed to roam unfettered.  At night in my municipality it is illegal to allow cats out after dark, but not many people pay any attention to this and the local by-laws officers do not work after hours.  (A typical piece of local government double think)

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

goat starer

Quote from: Bluenose on December 13, 2006, 03:28:46 AM
Once we have finished building the garden we will get a couple of small dogs.  .

I am thinking of getting an alligator for the pond. That should be the end of the visiting cat issue!

PS. doubt if I will get any warm and fuzzies for that view from this forum of inveterate cat lovers!

;D
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: goat starer on December 13, 2006, 01:07:31 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on December 13, 2006, 03:28:46 AM
Once we have finished building the garden we will get a couple of small dogs.  .

I am thinking of getting an alligator for the pond. That should be the end of the visiting cat issue!

PS. doubt if I will get any warm and fuzzies for that view from this forum of inveterate cat lovers!

;D

LOL!  I can understand perfectly well WHY you feel that way - I like cats - MY cats. The rest of'em you can put in the dumpster!  <heh>

xxxxxxxxxxx

Years and years ago, back in the 80's at the time, I really believed in the Red Scare.  And, I used to make preparations for WWIII--the Nuclear Holocaust I felt was imminent.   

My buddy and I used to plan what sort of retreat we'd make, aka R.A.H's Farnham's Freehold.  We'd envision walls and such to slow the inevitable raging bandits.

I pointed out, that cats would be quite useful around the outside, to keep rodents down.  My buddy is allergic and hates them.

This lead to one thing or another, and I suggested that we have a policy of shoot-on-sight any of the wild ones around the farm outbuildings.  Natural Selection would teach them to remain hidden- out of sight, out of mind.

In 30 or 40 years of this, you'd soon get huge, invisible cats roaming the darker parts of the farm ....

And we'd put a sign on the door (aka Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land) to the outside, with a picture of a feral tiger-like mutated cat.

And the legend below that pic:

"Is your gun loaded?"  ;D :D ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)