News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Genetic Throwbacks?

Started by Vita Curator, November 12, 2006, 10:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Chatty

There's a kid at MD Anderson that has neurofibromatosis and the werewolf thing going on at the same time. He was being kept at home in his remote village somewhere in eastern Europe, with a mostly blind grandmother taking care of him.

A doc from Doctors Without Borders found out about him when they were doing inoculations in the region. They brought him to Houston 5 years ago. He's learned English (no accent) and is 12 years old, doing math and science on a beginning college level, and is high school level in all other school courses, plus had learned to play 7 musical instruments.

He doesn't want publicity. Can't blame him. But there's a wealthy individual that's paying a fortune for electrolysis for this kid...and he hopes to someday be able to attend college full time. (Rice University, across the street from the Medical Center, will take him at any time. Rice is very difficult to get into.) Having done gift and toy deliveries to MDA for a number of years (and being a neurofibro patient myself) i've met this kid. He's just a sweet, normal kid who loves Halloween, because he can pretend to be "acceptable" normal for a little while.
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

I have a tail.  No joke.  My spinal cord is 2 vertebrae 'too long'. 
It isn't noticeable unless I bend over, and even then it's 'tucked under' a bit.  School was fun with those hard metal chairs attatched to the desks.  Many a bruised tailbone...  lol
An ex liked to joke alot about 'getting a piece of tail'...  ;)
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

Sibling Chatty

Mine's one short. Too bad a transfer would be messy, expensive and no help to either of us. :D
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

lol... hey...  wonder if I could 'sting' people....

The Meromorph

Quote from: Sibling Kephra (Tansy) on November 22, 2006, 03:21:50 AM
I have a tail.  No joke.  My spinal cord is 2 vertebrae 'too long'. 
It isn't noticeable unless I bend over, and even then it's 'tucked under' a bit.  School was fun with those hard metal chairs attatched to the desks.  Many a bruised tailbone...  lol
An ex liked to joke alot about 'getting a piece of tail'...  ;)
Between four to seven weeks of foetal development, all humans have a tail. It is later reabsorbed. Not only that, but we share with mice (in whose genome they've been found) the same tail-making genes. It appears that there is a separate mechanism controlling the tail's apoptosis*, so that the occasional human born with a tail isn't like that because of the reactivation of old genes, but rather because the genes to remove it have malfunctioned.

Thought you might be interested. :)

*Apoptosis is a process in the development of an embryo which involves programmed cell death. Cells are formed... only to be destroyed.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

Nifty!

I malfunction...  I *knew* I had an excuse there somewhere!  ;)

Swatopluk

You should have protested within the 9-month guarantee time ;)
I hope there are no protusions on your head too or we could get a nasty suspicion :devil2: :taz: :oops:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

No... nothing other than the piercings.  ;)
I figure the Powers That Be thought I was innately 'evil' enough.  Nothing really needs to be announced there...
Believe me; the offspring are proof enough.