News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Evolution News

Started by Aphos, October 31, 2006, 08:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

I found a couple of interesting articles in todays online NY Times.

(Warning...you will have to register to read these, but registration IS free.)

An Evolutionary Theory of Right and Wrong

This concerns a hypothesis about the evolutionary origin of morality.  Some interesting thoughts, but far from being a theory, yet.

Fossil Found of a Big Bird That Kermit Wouldn't Like

This about a new fossil bird found in South American.  It is the largest bird found to date, weighing in at about 400 lbs.  The skull alone is 28 inches long, with a huge eagle-like beak.  A very serious predator.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Aphos on October 31, 2006, 08:14:03 AM
I found a couple of interesting articles in todays online NY Times.

(Warning...you will have to register to read these, but registration IS free.)

An Evolutionary Theory of Right and Wrong

This concerns a hypothesis about the evolutionary origin of morality.  Some interesting thoughts, but far from being a theory, yet.

If this proves itself out, it WILL be an interesting find.

Humans have always ritualized instinctive behavior (that which seems to be "hard wired" into our brains).

If this turns out to have a basis in reality, it would explain why all human cultures have some sort of ritual system explaining and promoting moral / ethical behavior (usually religious).

very interesting stuff!
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aphos

I did find the first article interesting, even if the hypothesis is tentative.  I have had similar thought myself.  While social cooperation may not promote your specific genes, it does help the survival of your group, which is likely related to you and has similar genes.

As to the second article, the family of large flightless bird are know collectively as "terror birds".  Not all of them were predators, but several species were, and would have had a very frightening appearance.

This bird would have been among the tallest.  It weighed in at about 400 pounds, and was very fast and agile.

Just what DO you say to a 400 pound terror bird?
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Sibling Chatty

NOT "Polly want a cracker", unless you happen to be holding up a large redneck from specific areas of the South...

OK, that was bad. I'll get my coat...
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on October 31, 2006, 10:12:22 PM
NOT "Polly want a cracker", unless you happen to be holding up a large redneck from specific areas of the South...

LOL!! 

But, it would probabily give the birdie a coronary, from all that saturated fat ...  ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Vita Curator

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on October 31, 2006, 10:12:22 PM

Oh, that was so bad that it was good.  Maybe we can throw a few pigeons its way.
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.