News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Easy Mango Cake & Mango Ice Cream

Started by Aggie, December 10, 2012, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

I mucked about with the old family standby recipe for chocolate Wacky Cake, and came up with this gem.  Total prep time on the cake and ice cream is probably 15 min or less, and if you have the ice cream and mango about the house, it's more or less off-the-shelf.  I'm still mucking about with the oven temperatures and times, so you may need to leave it a little longer until the cake is set through and the outside is caramel-brown. I added eggs to the usually eggless Wacky Cake, but left out the dairy as usual... I never have milk in the house!

Mango Wacky Cake

Dry ingredients:

1.5 c white flour         375 ml
1 c sugar                   250 ml
1 tsp baking soda           5 ml
1/2 tsp salt                2.5 ml

Wet ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup sweetened mango pulp   250 ml
1/3 c vegetable oil                   83 ml
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar         15 ml
1 tsp vanilla                             5 ml
1 tsp dark rum                          5 ml

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
In a medium mixing bowl, thorough beat eggs with a whisk, then add remaining ingredients.
Grease a 9" x 9" baking pan (23 x 23 cm); preheat oven to 325oF / 162oC.
Gently mix wet and dry ingredients until fully combined; place in greased pan.
Bake for 40 min until cake is fully set and the top is a rich caramel brown.

Mango Ice Cream:

1 L vanilla ice cream
2 cups sweetened mango pulp   500 ml  

Take ice cream out of freezer and allow to soften enough to mix.
In a large mixing bowl, mix mango pulp and ice cream.
Return to freezer.

Serve with Mango Wacky Cake.

Notes:
-Siblings in fortunate climes may use fresh mango puree (perhaps up the sugar a bit); I used tinned sweetened mango pulp from India.  I'm planning to try this with apricots and/or peaches next summer.

-North Americans tend to measure everything by volume; I've included metric measurements for ease of use.

-A fruit vinegar is preferred, but white vinegar will work just fine.

-More rum would be fine, I think... I recommend trying 30 ml for the cake and 60 - 90 ml for the cook.  ;D

-Some grated orange zest would probably make this even better, but I haven't got a chance to try it yet.

WWDDD?

Darlica

That seems very nice.
*wonder what it would taste like with some fresh habanero chopped into the mango ice cream ;D

I got to one thing, 5ml vanilla, are we talking vanilla extract, seeds from the pod or synthetic vanilla as in vanillin sugar?
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I would presume to suggest only the real thing:  vanilla extract in alcohol.   5 ml is not very much at all, as these things go.
:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Yes, real vanilla extract (standard shorthand, here). I think you could use just rum, or a spiced rum.... the vanilla's a carryover from the original recipe.
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

Quote from: Aggie on December 10, 2012, 07:16:14 PM
-More rum would be fine, I think... I recommend trying 30 ml for the cake and 60 - 90 ml for the cook.  ;D
Ahhhh, the mark of a quality recipe!     :downit:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677