News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Status Anxiety

Started by Griffin NoName, March 09, 2007, 02:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on March 09, 2007, 02:08:02 AM
This may seem like a fuss about something quite minor and in many cases it doesn't matter what status one fills in on forms. But, any forms related to government etc etc have to be correct so they can trace one's background. Therefore I always feel bound to fill in my status as divorced. Therefore I continue to carry this tag around.

Isn't this just as discriminatory as all other forms of labelling? Isn't it time that, like points on one's driving license, divorce could become obsolete as a status label? Why is it necessary to continue to label people as divorced for the rest of their lives?
If it applies, maybe "limerant" would work better than divorced... and have the added advantage of leaving most people scratching their heads.

;D

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on March 19, 2007, 05:25:50 PMIf it applies, maybe "limerant" would work better than divorced... and have the added advantage of leaving most people scratching their heads.

I'd prefer the antonym but I cannot find one. My thesaurus must be out of date.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on March 19, 2007, 07:19:15 PM
Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on March 19, 2007, 05:25:50 PMIf it applies, maybe "limerant" would work better than divorced... and have the added advantage of leaving most people scratching their heads.

I'd prefer the antonym but I cannot find one. My thesaurus must be out of date.
Quirkyalone might work, but the sound of the word creates odd connotations.

Cicisbeo, while limited in applicability, would be another fun one to put on a form to leave people scratching their heads.

Griffin NoName

Quirkyalone will do !!  Thanks.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand