News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Wendy's Wedding Ring

Started by Sibling DavidH, September 26, 2012, 04:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

Poor Wendy had to have her wedding ring sawn off this afternoon.  Her knuckles have become distorted by arthritis and there was no other way to get the thing off.  Meanwhile the whole joint had swollen quite a bit so the ring was much too tight.  She's now got a deep mark in her finger, like when a tree trunk has been constricted for several years.

That ring hasn't been off for many, many years; possibly never in the 41 years since I put it on.  We feel a bit strange about it.  :'(

Aggie

That it feels so strange for you both is a good thing, I think.

:kisshands:
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

Will you have a larger band made, or have it remade as some other type of jewlery?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: piecesWill you have a larger band made, or have it remade as some other type of jewlery?

The shop say they can insert a section.  They're not certain of the price yet, because we have to wait until  Wendy's finger size has settled down - they recommend a month - and then they'll know how much gold it needs.  Looks like £80 to £200 depending, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Griffin NoName

Or wear it on a smaller finger?

Must have hurt a lot.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If she has problems with the joint perhaps it isn't such a great idea to keep using it as a ring, perhaps closing it and wear it with a chain?*
---
I'm sorry for her but I agree with Aggie that the feeling is a much better indication of your relation. You too are lucky to have each other.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 27, 2012, 04:13:24 PM
. You too are lucky to have each other.

I so wish I had someone, anyone!!!  So fed up with this isolation. Yes you all don't know how lucky you are.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I know the feeling! I got badly burned some time ago on one hand, and the hospital offered to cut my ring off. Startled I said "NO!" and pulled it off my finger as the orderly visibly flinched. It felt odd to have it off, but I put it back on after I recovered.

I like Zono's suggestion of a chain. If you can afford a pretty one, it might be kinda romantic, even.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 27, 2012, 06:10:06 PM
Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 27, 2012, 04:13:24 PM
. You too are lucky to have each other.

I so wish I had someone, anyone!!!  So fed up with this isolation. Yes you all don't know how lucky you are.

Ditto.  But I've also realized I'm a very difficult person to get along with, so it's likely just as well. 

.. also, I have a cat.

:-*
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling DavidH

Oh, yes, I do know how lucky I am!   :D  Sorry not everyone is as well off.

Griffin, it didn't hurt getting it off.  The lady had a nifty little gadget: essentially a pair of pliers, one jaw was smooth and rounded with a slight hook shape, the other had a small saw wheel attached.  She slipped the smooth jaw under the ring, closed the handles until the wheel touched the ring and then turned it.  It cut through in about half a minute; then she used two pairs of normal long-nosed pliers to open the gap.

I'll talk to her about the chain idea, it sounds sensible.

Sibling DavidH

Hoorah!  We've got the ring back.  An immaculate job, you can't see the join and it's all shiny and new-looking.  In fact, I wonder if they really did join it or made a new one with some extra gold.  That's OK by us.

Cost?  £65.  Incredibly cheap.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

:thumbsup:

An honest and talented jeweler is a wonderful thing.
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Indeed.  This is an old and respected firm in Hereford.  I know this does not guarantee honesty, but maybe gives better odds.