News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Things to rememberin a digital age

Started by Darlica, October 22, 2011, 10:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I keep a 460 ml plastic (don't ask me which/what) bottle of tap water by my bed, and fill it up once or twice a day depending on thirst (remember I am mostly bedbound). For safety, (leaching) I replace the bottle once in a while, which means I have the occasional treat of bottled (actually fizzy, I love fizzy) water every so often inorder to acquire a new empty bottle. Trouble is, I have no idea how often I should replace the bottle, so no idea if my attention to detail is worthwhile.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

We can use reprocessed cellulose with current technology - it's called rayon or viscose. ;) Most of those 'bamboo' fabrics you come across?  Actually just reprocessed, chemically-altered plant cellulose.

The processing generally is not an environmentally benign matter.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Most people don't know that the millions of tons of sulphuric acid produced every year are consumed primarily by agriculture. And a lot of the nitric acid ends up there too. I somehow doubt that people would be happy to know that almost all their food was grown on a diet of powerful corroding agents and crude oil ;)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Slight error by the writer there. Rotten eggs is H2S not H2SO4. i.e. (hydro)sulphide not sulfate. Sulphuric acid has not much of a smell of its own, just a bit acrid from evaporating SO3.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Yes, I just thought I'd lay a false trail. :mrgreen:

Shows how dodgy the digital age can be.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 16, 2012, 09:03:28 PM
I keep a 460 ml plastic (don't ask me which/what) bottle of tap water by my bed, and fill it up once or twice a day depending on thirst (remember I am mostly bedbound). For safety, (leaching) I replace the bottle once in a while, which means I have the occasional treat of bottled (actually fizzy, I love fizzy) water every so often inorder to acquire a new empty bottle. Trouble is, I have no idea how often I should replace the bottle, so no idea if my attention to detail is worthwhile.

I also kept a plastic bottle by the bed-- I got one of the PET types-- the same plastic that Coke (and other) soda pop comes in, in an effort to eliminate BPH (or whatever it was that was "bad"...)....

... then I found a nice stainless steel bottle that I liked-- steel as in good old iron.  So I switched to that one instead.   I even keep several in my truck for when I'm really thirsty.   We know the effects of iron in our blood-- not a bad thing at all.

The only thing I don't like about stainless steel bottles?  Is that you cannot at a glance tell if it needs refilling... so I keep two, just in case...

*sigh*
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Oddly enough I have a stainless steel one as well. I never actually use it for the same reason you give, it never gets reilled when necessary as I can't see the water level. One day I might tidy up and put it away as a lost cause.

I don't know what plastic my bottle is amde of, it is recyclable and carbon neutral. As it was made to be used for holding water to drink I imagine it is safe for at least a while. People keep bottled water for ages often.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on March 18, 2012, 07:30:09 PM
Oddly enough I have a stainless steel one as well. I never actually use it for the same reason you give, it never gets reilled when necessary as I can't see the water level. One day I might tidy up and put it away as a lost cause.

I don't know what plastic my bottle is amde of, it is recyclable and carbon neutral. As it was made to be used for holding water to drink I imagine it is safe for at least a while. People keep bottled water for ages often.

I suspect any detrimental effects would take centuries to accumulate in the water... and it just doesn't stay in there very long-- at least mine doesn't-- I drink it down within a couple of weeks at most.

:D

I wouldn't worry one way or another, myself.

So long as you never get an odd "taste" in the water, while drinking?  It is not putting anything in there you need worry with.   Our tastebuds are pretty sensitive warning mechanisms, after all... that's what they were evolved to be in the first place.

::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)