News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Sudoku

Started by Griffin NoName, October 19, 2011, 07:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Time we had a thread on this.

I use them as sleep alternatives during the long dark nights.

I like them "hard" and "difficult". But I am finding it hard and difficult to find genuine ones online. I am frustrated by those which basically develop into guessing games. Where the only way to solve them is by trial and error - you get to a point where a number can go into one of two sqaures within the nine square grid, and the only way to find out which square is not by logic but by trying the number in one square, working it through until it is proved right or wrong. I believe these are not real Sudoku as in my book there should always be a discoverable logic to it - i.e. every number of this kind can be placed correctly by logic not guessing. I noticed a website that claiimed their Sudoku could always be proved by logic,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but I lost the address.

Does anyone know of good Sudoku websites where the challenge relies purely on logic at each stage, no guessing and trial error needed? These are the only one I find satisfying.

And is anyone else addicted to them?
If so what do you use solving them as a distraction to? --- working, not being able to sleep, extreme boredom. a switching on ritual to going to sleep or awakening from sleep  - feelings of failure in life (at the pearly gates I plan to point out how many I solved? It's a bit like "I must finish the Times crossward before the train aarrives at my destination.

An elderly dementia patient (mohter of a friend), having lost all capacbilities to live life, communcate etc, whiled her time by doing Sudokus so I think they are quite important. She was so happy doin them and presumably that area of her mind was not damaged (she was a mathemtician). I feel that if I could only access puzzles which meet my logic demands, even I was locked up in a senior citizends prison, I could (maybe) survive.

But where to find the ones heralded as "all ours use strict logic".

I suppose this is a bit of a rant about sub-standard Sudoku flooding the internet - guessing is for fools*

*Not UnTaddy - if fools want to do substandard puzzles, they are welcome, just don't bother me with them.

Could go om - bee in bonnet.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

I can't do the things, I hate'em.  Probably because you need logic and I don't do logic.  I work by intuition, so I do crosswords.  ;D
Wendy does them.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I've done a few up to medium, and the harder ones are slow but logical, as for the extra hard that have all but very few numbers I've never got to that level, I would imagine it's the same.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I go up to where there is one case of choice (with one pathway leading to contradiction fast). Harder ones have two or more of those stacked one behind the other.

Kakuros are an alternative
My father uses this site
http://www.kakuro-world.com/
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

Mom does them all the time and carefully cuts them out of various papers to stack up on a little table so there is always a stash handy.

I feel facial tics developing when I look at them.     :D
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677