News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Eurovision Song Contest

Started by Griffin NoName, May 14, 2011, 09:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I don't watch this, honest, I just had the TV on sort of by mistake. Actually Jedwood might be worth a look (listen?) (Ireland). Might have been. I missed them.

However, I started wondering how any country got through the semi-finals, as one would.

Looking at the main web page does not help. They list two lots of semi-finals but not all countries are listed as taking part in the semis. Why is this? Do some countries not have to take part in the semis? The lists are not winners of semis so they must be countries taking part, except they aren't that either. What are the lists under semis?

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/dusseldorf-2011
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps related to the population/potential contestants of the country?
---
Having the TV on while they show the stuff sounds like an accident, a big one like a plane crash or the sinking of a cruise ship, or American idol. Not the kind of thing I would like to witness to tell the truth.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 14, 2011, 09:58:49 PM
I don't watch this, honest, I just had the TV on sort of by mistake. Actually Jedwood might be worth a look (listen?) (Ireland). Might have been. I missed them.

From what I have heard, I like the farting turkey better. ;)
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Not in possession of a TV set, so I could easily resist the temptation.
Just heard in the radio news that Aserbaijan won and Germany reached rank 10 (I had expected 5).
To be honest, I would have thought Aserbaijan to be Asian already (directly behind the border to Europe).
I have to look it up (Israel has participated too in the past and is definitely not geographically part of Europe).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 14, 2011, 11:48:39 PM
Having the TV on while they show the stuff sounds like an accident, ..........

Believe me, it sounded like an accident. I could hear no reason for any voting at all, let alone broadcasting.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 14, 2011, 09:58:49 PM
I don't watch this, honest, I just had the TV on sort of by mistake.

Oooops. It's sort of happened again. This time I was watching Graham Norton...............

in case you don't know Graham Norton..........   watch, it's funny.....

[youtube=425,350]kRSdjZcXKow[/youtube]

so, back to the EU song contest.......... I was watching Graham Norton tonight and unfortunately the singer was Englebert Humperdink with this year's entry.....................

[youtube=425,350]pFNv9pjqZkk[/youtube]

..............probably not a winner......................  though it does pick up a  bit towards the end, if you don't mind some shouting.

Psychic Hotline Host

pieces o nine

Graham Norton: one of the best things about BBCAmerica.    :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

*sigh*

Robin Williams is always a treat to watch--especially if he's given a free-reign to just run with it...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Roland Deschain

I'm glad Engelbert Humperdink is our entry this year. I think this will be one of the best entries since Finland fielded Lordi a few years ago, although Rambo Amadeus from Montenegro is different. And yes I do watch the final each year. For the lulz, mind you. ;)

Saying this, i'm liking Iceland's entry. I love Eurovision, and i'm not ashamed to say that! :mrgreen:

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/baku-2012/about/shows/participants

Graham Norton and Robin Williams are both great comedians. I'm glad Graham has a following in the US.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

Quote from: Roland Deschain on May 13, 2012, 02:47:32 PM
Saying this, i'm liking Iceland's entry. I love Eurovision, and i'm not ashamed to say that! :mrgreen:

Nice indeed but they should have stuck with their own language. The tune shows Icelandic colour, although it has been trimmed for international consumption. To sing it in English shifts it even further  away from originality.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Roland Deschain on May 13, 2012, 02:47:32 PM
I love Eurovision, and i'm not ashamed to say that! :mrgreen:

Oh well, Toadfish have to be tolerant :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

pieces o nine

Not related to Eurovision, but a question for the Yurpeons regarding Graham Norton:
is there some back story to the ranks of nekkid Barbie dolls and robots rising up from the digital waters at the start of each show?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Griffin NoName

Probably, but I don't know. Anyone?
Psychic Hotline Host

Roland Deschain

Quote from: pieces o nine on May 13, 2012, 07:50:52 PM
Not related to Eurovision, but a question for the Yurpeons regarding Graham Norton:
is there some back story to the ranks of nekkid Barbie dolls and robots rising up from the digital waters at the start of each show?
He used to have an army of Barbie dolls in the studio, but they were removed. This is what i've found:-

Barbie removed

I believe they were there originally to be provocative and different, although if there is another reason for it, I cannot find one. That's Graham Norton all over.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

pieces o nine

^ that explains it well enough.
I am surprised that people still attempt the red chair without proper coaching.   :)