News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Christmas traditions

Started by Sibling DavidH, December 01, 2010, 11:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

:ROFL: :ROFL:  :ROFL: :ROFL:  :ROFL:

That is truly excellent.  The cosy style is perfect; you don't know anything's going to happen until, suddenly, hat sie den Förster umgebracht.   Classic.

Griffin NoName

I can't read German so I used Google translate,

Advent It turns blue the night, the stars are flashing,
Schneeflöcklein softly falling down.
On Edeltännleins green tops
accumulates a small white tip.
And there, breaking through from afar
the dark forest, a bright light.
Forest House kneels with candle glow
the forester in the men's room.
In this wonderful night
it has killed the forest ranger.
He was her in the home care
for a long time now, much in the way.
So they agreed with it:
On Niklas evening it should be.
And when the little hare went to bed,
the fawn her eyes,
ordered directly from the front
the husband of iron sights.
Awakened by the blast turns up only the hare
two-three-four times the trial nose
and rests on sweet in the dark
Meanwhile, the stars are twinkling confidential.
And indoors in the parlor,
hence there is blood from the forester.
Now the forester must be broken down
the husband to cut up clean.
She quickly added him to the bone
Weidmann left for custom.
Full care she puts link to link,
what the husband so far avoided.
Reserves a portion back fillet
as a fixed daily roasts.
And then packed it goes to four -
the radicals in gift paper.
From afar's sounds like silver bells,
in the village you can hear barking dogs.
Who is it that in so deep night
so late still makes his rounds?
Knecht Ruprecht is on golden carriage
riding up a deer.
Tell me, good woman, you still have things
the poor people make fun?
The six packages, holy man,
s' is all that I can give.
Black Peter goes on a journey
The silver bells ring softly
the forester's house is burning the candle,
the bell sounds, it's Advent.

###########

what on earth? care home? is this what my parents can expect?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Lindorm

The translation is somewhat suspect to say the least.

Essentially, Mrs Forester likes to keep a tidy house.
Unfortunately, Mr Forester and his habits get in the way of her doing so.
Infact, Mrs Forester realizes that the core of the problem is Mr. Forester himself -so she promptly kills him with a shot of his own gun, incidentally waking a poor sleeping hare whilst doing so! (Don't worry, the hare fell asleep again soon afterwards)

Mrs (or should I perhaps say Ms.?) Forester then starts breaking down the carcass, following all the customs when preparing a deer or other animal. The filet she keeps for herself, but wraps the other cuts in parcels.
As it happens, St. Nicholaus aide, Knight Ruprecht, happens to stop by somewhat later, asking for gifts to bring a bit of joy into the lives of poor fellow humans. Mrs. Forester promptly hands over the parcels to Ruprecht, who thanks her,a nd then departs with is golden sleigh, towed by deer with silver bells all tinklling.

And, as the churchbells toll, and the candles burn in th ehouse of the Foresters, the peace and tranquility of christmas descends upon the land.

I found it very funny indeed, if a bit bloody. ;)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

Good summary/recapitulation Lindorm!
The effect is heigthened by the (slightly overdone) old-fashioned style and the free use of diminutives.

I hope this is the right youtube clip (no sound on this PC, so I can't check at the moment)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvXxADjACg
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Good job there, Lindorm, but IMO the Google version is even funnier.   ::)

Sheila

A therapist gave me what he claims is an authentic Swedish meatball recipe but I'm not sure that I trust the veracity of his claim.  ::)

Griffin NoName

Goodness, I wonder what you were supposed to do with the meatballs?  :unsure:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Hey, Sheila, lovely to hear from you again.  Happy Christmas!

Darlica

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 20, 2010, 02:48:04 AM
Goodness, I wonder what you were supposed to do with the meatballs?  :unsure:

First they are small (no fixed size, the measuring sits in my fingers) a teaspoon measure here is 15 ml and that would make a good size dollop to start with, then they shrink in the frying pan...

Meatballs survive well in the freezer, they can be eaten warm  as a part of dinner or lunch or cold on bread. We don't eat the whole batch in one sitting I promise!  ;D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling DavidH

Back on page 1 of this thread I described our annual mass cake-and-pudding day.  Well, today it came round again.

That's the son-in-law, his mum, Cap'n B and my #1 daughter, also bits of me.  Yes, I know I look manic - I was trying to face the camera and hold the drill steady all at once.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

What a jolly good-looking bunch!

Here in the states we're gearing up for Thanksgiving Day, Thursday the 24th. I have to go shop for pumpkin pie ingredients.

Aggie

Thanksgiving? That was a month ago.  ;)

I might take a run at that pudding recipe again this year, with a few personalizing tweaks. I wonder if Mum's got the cake started yet?  We are celebrating Christmas like pagans on the Winter Solstice ths year (sister has to work on the 25th, so she's coming out early; I'm going to come back to Cowtown so she has some family to celebrate with, but it won't be a proper Christmas dinner).
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

We'll do some family oriented dinner on TG although I still think the date as a celebration for genocide. As for Xmas... I hate that everything is already about it and -obviously- what to buy for it, bleagh!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

I usually go to a hotel party for the few days over Christmas, but cannot afford it any more. That means I will spend Christmas entirely alone and isolated, family all too far away, and none prepared to visit me, and friends all busy with their own families. I reckon on about a fortnight of desperation. No wonder suicides go up at Christmas.
Psychic Hotline Host