News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Help the UK Government

Started by beagle, February 12, 2008, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non-domiciles are:

Evil rich bastards who should be taxed until the pips squeak, or forced abroad to live in some god-awful pit like Zurich or Monaco.
0 (0%)
A immensely valuable and appreciated group of people who contribute enormously to the economic and cultural life of the UK.
0 (0%)
What's a non-dom?
1 (20%)
I like caviar.
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

beagle

The UK government seem to be having a spot of trouble setting policy on non-doms. Have your say and help set the peoples' policy...

The angels have the phone box

Darlica

You pay taxes where you live, it's as easy as you eat by the table and does the number 1 and 2 business in that room with the big porcelain throne... ::)   

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps I've been in the States for too long, but why the heck are you supposed to declare your earnings in other country? If you made money in country A and you live in country B shouldn't country A tax your income there and country B let you be? Now, the money you make in country B should of course be taxed (even if it is interest on money that came from somewhere else) but -IMHO- only that.

I believe the rich should pay their share, but heck even them, fairly.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

The Meromorph

Somewhat related....
for a period of about 5 years, I was employed by an English company, and paid out of England, to 'perform the functions required by their contractual obligations to American companies'. Therefore under American Law. all my income was not 'American Source Income' and therefore I was not required to pay or file any American taxes on it, provided I filed taxes on it in the source country. I duly filed tax returns in England. After I had been in America for a year, without my doing anything else, the English Inland Revenue informed me that my tax status was forthwith re-classified to 'Resident Not Ordinarily Resident' retroactively to the day i left the country, that I should continue to make tax returns, but that the tax rate for 'Resident Not Ordinarily Resident' taxpayers was 0%. The notice was accompanied by a full refund of the taxes I had paid that year...

Until that status ended, I had to be very careful to say that I paid a zero rate of tax, not that I paid no taxes...  :D 
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

What Darlica says !!

Seems to me it's all about fear of London losing it's "financial" world status.

It's simple to solve if we accept a Global Economy. Every country would share it's tax statements, then it would all be divvied up. Fantastic job creation scheme for tax inspectors and accountants. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

To my knowledge there are only bilateral treaties on that, nothing international, so each pair of states has to make their own rules.
There are some complicated rules what defines "residence" and how that effects taxation (and different kinds of taxes may be handled differently)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 12, 2008, 11:29:26 PM
Seems to me it's all about fear of London losing it's "financial" world status.

So the business community have stomped on the Government. So that's that.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

I don't think anyone ever stomps on the Treasury. They can just point out that if they do so-and-so then they could lose £xbn a year. That usually does the trick.

Personally I'm all for a reasonable non-dom tax rate, but the retrospective aspect and prying abroad was just mad. Labour love messing with contracts retrospectively, IMHO.  If I'd known how they were going to change private pension retirement ages and taxation I'd never have put a penny in pension schemes.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on February 13, 2008, 01:09:04 PM
I don't think anyone ever stomps on the Treasury.

Yeah, I guess I should have put a wink smilie there !

Mind you, I get to stomp on a little bit of The Treasury now and again LOL. (but get stomped back LOL).

Personally I'm all for a reasonable non-dom tax rate, but the retrospective aspect and prying abroad was just mad. Labour love messing with contracts retrospectively, IMHO. 

I sort of sympathise with the problem. I agree with you, but can't see a way it would work. But then I am not being paid vast sums of money to work out how it would work.

If I'd known how they were going to change private pension retirement ages and taxation I'd never have put a penny in pension schemes.

Trouble is, even putting your money under the mattress no longer has much advantage. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Pachyderm

Someone, somehow, has to get through to Gordon Brown that it is not, in fact, immoral for people to have money. That grasping effluvial discharge, following on from the useless piece of shit that ran us for the last decade  is why my parents no longer live in the UK. And as soon as I can, I shall be leaving.

%^&* him. And the horse he rode in on.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 13, 2008, 01:16:32 PM
If I'd known how they were going to change private pension retirement ages and taxation I'd never have put a penny in pension schemes.

Trouble is, even putting your money under the mattress no longer has much advantage. ;)
Have you both heard of gold? ;) :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

Perhaps we're closing in on the insomnia cause; being pressed against the ceiling.

According to the news tonight sovereigns and pieces of eight are being usurped as the piratical treasure trove of choice by the 500 euro note. Doesn't make the Armani sag or set off the metal detectors.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on February 13, 2008, 08:37:27 PM
Perhaps we're closing in on the insomnia cause; being pressed against the ceiling.

I wish !!!   :ROFL:

According to the news tonight sovereigns and pieces of eight are being usurped as the piratical treasure trove of choice by the 500 euro note. Doesn't make the Armani sag or set off the metal detectors.

Traditional Greek weddings - the guests pin loads of money on the dress.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

** Help the UK Government **

Let's form a Union for Speakers!!  Save our Martin !!

** latest news, he is now cleared of all expense issues except the £4000 for the wife's taxis. I expect he/she just got the word taxis and taxes confused. **
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on February 13, 2008, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 13, 2008, 01:16:32 PM

Have you both heard of gold? ;) :mrgreen:

It's too bloody high now...  I am strongly considering cashing in my whole treasure trove (1 oz.) if it goes up much higher. If/when it drops back down in the $400/oz range I'm going to start building a proper trove.

I'm really kicking myself for not picking up some palladium (non-jewelery, anyways) when it was down around $350/oz a few months ago, and for grumbling about silver being too expensive at $14/oz (should have bought a kilo brick of it).  Palladium is a pain to trade though, as it's not tax-exempt like the major precious metals, and because Pd Maple Leafs sell at a significant premium to the value of the metal.

Yes, I are a pirate...   :mrgreen:
WWDDD?

Lindorm

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on February 12, 2008, 09:46:12 PM
Perhaps I've been in the States for too long, but why the heck are you supposed to declare your earnings in other country? If you made money in country A and you live in country B shouldn't country A tax your income there and country B let you be? Now, the money you make in country B should of course be taxed (even if it is interest on money that came from somewhere else) but -IMHO- only that.

Here in Sweden, we have a situation in the far south, where the southernmost part of Skåne is more or less joining eastern Denmark into one big region. Lots of people commute back and forth over the Öresund fixed link (Malmö and Copenhagen are about 25 minutes away from each other by train), working in one country but living in another. Now, where do they declare thier income? Where do they pay tax? And where do they live, send their children to school and use hospitals, for example -all activities that are, at least in the scandinavian countries, financed via the tax bill. The Swedish and Danish tax departments have been arguing back and forth over an agreement for years now. Similar situations exist with, for example, Germany and the Netherlands, Germany and France, and quite a few other places.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Griffin NoName

Federal European Taxes hove into sight (with opt outs in both country of residence and work) ?
Psychic Hotline Host

Lindorm

If such a bill ever gets introduced in the European Parliment, the ensuing nuclear meltdown would probably be both very entertaining to watch and completely grind most of the EU's administration to a complete standstill.

When do we start?
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Lindorm on March 30, 2008, 10:31:34 PM
When do we start?

Probably need a few more banks to fail so however much longer that takes :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Quote from: Lindorm on March 30, 2008, 10:31:34 PM
When do we start?

I think Gordon Brown may have started already. Our tax legislation has just overtaken India's as the World's longest and most bureaucratic.