News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Toadfish Thought of the Day

Started by Opsa, September 25, 2006, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Sibling Chatty

QuoteCancer is simply not the tool to use when trying to making fun of Born Again Christians and alike. Go find a better tool!
I think his way of reasoning diminishes the suffering and pain cancer causes.

Thank you.

It's a flaw, this attribution of whatever you want to make your point.

And it's no prettier when non-believers do it than when believers do it. There's no moral high ground to be had here.

The same "Goddess" or "Spirit" whoever you might believe in made the canker as sure as the rose.
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

I am not commenting on the quote or the responses themselves.

I am just wondering if you realised that Robert Green Ingersoll lived from 1833 to 1889. Reading other things he wrote before responding was why I didn't respond. I'd never heard of him. Maybe I lead a sheltered life.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

Actually, the time of the author isn't what bothers me.

Sibling Chatty

Doubleposting on purpose.

Toadfish though of the day?

QuoteThe Toadfish Monastery has no religious affiliation but represents a group of individuals who, for open discussion's sake, agree to be tolerant and respectful of one another's views.

We are more interested in finding common ground than trumpeting our differences

Mission Statement

The Toadfish Monastery is a visionary community that shares a common goal of better worldwide communication through the use of tolerance, humility, understanding and mutual respect for all humankind.

Darlica

My bad. :-[

I did not check my sources, thereby committing the mistake I accused Mr Ingersoll of. I apologize.

Still cells have no colour themselves and never had and they are not better organized than other cells the fact that cancer are mutating cell structures has be known for quite a while.

And my statement still stands: Go find another tool for discussing if God exist or not, cancer is not an appropriate one. I suppose Mr Ingersoll  has to take that advice Post Mortem.  ;) :P

Griffin NoName

Chatty, Darlica, I don't disagree with you at all. You made perfectly valid points from my perspective. I had no doubt that the date of the writing was not what concerned you Chatty and I would hope I have written enough at various times for you to know that.

From my own thoughts, what interested me was the date (given how familiar I am with the idea of cancer as a gift which we debate over and over on the cancer forums..... amidst cries of outrage as you would expect - someone ALWAYS brings it up). That's why I was asking if anyone else was interested in it datewise.

Knowing Mero, but not obviously wishing to speak for him, I made an assumption that he must have posted the quote to provoke some thought other than the one that he would know (again an assumption) we would have. However, I was making assumptions and I may be wrong. Given this is the Reef, it's private, so again, I assumed a lot.

If anyone wants a debate on writings of this man, other than this one quote, in the context of inquiry of various aspects at that date in time, I'll start another thread. I don't want to debate with myself and I don't know much about it. I quite understand if having written this, you don't want to know any more about him.

Another aspect I find I have some interest in is how cancer has been viewed at various times in the past. I've never thought about that other than in twentieth century terms. (except in Shakespeare and I think I am muddling that up with cankers ;)).

Mero I am sure can speak for himself and I expect he will.

*** sings All Things Dull and Ugly***** three times and waves the cleansing wand in the air !!!
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

I am familiar with some of Ingersoll's writings, studied them (not in depth, more as adjunct materials) in college. A selection of them were also in the text for the homiletics classes for which I was a teaching assistant.

I have always found him to be inflexible, self-congratulatory, and less clever by half (at least) that he thought himself to be. Very much the 'spiritual' (to coin a stupid phrase) predecessor of some writers today.

Then again, according to Ingersoll, I suffer from a disease of the mind, a leprosy of the soul--and, no I don't mean the cancer quote.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

I've got a suggestion, but this one is far less serious (shocker there)

It's more of a dialog quote that illustrates a point.

Villain: On your tombstone it should say "Always in the wrong place at the wrong time".
John McClane: How about "Yippi-ki-yay, motherf***er"

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Griffin NoName

Ah yes, the Should Infidels Send Their Children to Sunday School?. That was one I glanced over.

This particular unbeliever did; well to Chaida. It didn't seem to Strangle the serpent of superstition that crawls and hisses about the cradle. Far as I know it helped with the Let us do all we can to make them intelligent which goes right against Ingersolls belief. I wonder how big his sample size was - admittedly mine was only 2 - and what were his double-blind random controls ? :ROFL:

EDIT

Qwerty - did anyone ever tell you that you are an angel?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Quote"Yippi-ki-yay, motherf***er"

An all purpose quote for the ages...

:mrgreen:

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Appropriate uses: shooting eurotrash, throwing bombs down elevator shafts, and driving cars into helicopters

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Sibling Chatty

Worked nicely when I fired a doctor a few months back, too.

The Chatty is not a nice person if you treat her like she's stupid, no... :mrgreen:

Darlica

I just wanted to add: no hurt feelings whatsoever on my side neither do I want to hurt anyone else's.
Remember discussions are interesting and fun, we learn from them, that's why most of us are here.

:hug:

also "Yippi-ki-yay, motherf***er" is a very useful sentence, as is "I'll be back" and "Does this seem right to you"*.

:mrgreen:

* Geek points to anyone who knows where that line comes from! ;)

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on December 17, 2007, 04:51:20 AM
Appropriate uses: shooting eurotrash, throwing bombs down elevator shafts, and driving cars into helicopters

~Qwerty

Inappropriate uses:  Declining more tea at a vicarage garden party , in a Nobel prize acceptance speech, when admiring your fiance's parents' garden.

The angels have the phone box