News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Toadfish Thought of the Day

Started by Opsa, September 25, 2006, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world."

-- Buddha.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Someone once said "All good things must come to an end".

... what a load of crap.

I mean yeah, sure, the good things have to end, but the bad things end too. And then they all start over again. That's just life. And you can spend your time worrying about the bad things. But it'll kind of keep you from noticing the good things, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't really know what I'd recommend, come to think of it.

Really, the only time things END is when you die. That's pretty final - but not always.

People say they're trying to make their mark on the world before they die - that's another kind of silly thing to say. You can't make your mark on the WORLD unless you've got a bulldozer or know the secret of making crop circles when no one's looking.

I figure, if you're going to leave your mark somewhere, you should leave it with people, rather than inanimate things.

Leave it by the words you say, or the things you do. The good things, and the bad things. They go hand in hand. I don't think there's a 'big mark' you leave, so much as little ones, all over the place. Here and there, people repeat something you said, because it was a good idea. Or you made them think something differently. Or you just loved them, is all.

All those little marks you leave, they'll add up to a big one, someday. And in the meantime, you should just live your life the best you can with what you've got to work with, and call it good.

I guess that's what I'd recommend. And while you're at it, try not to take the world too seriously, because sooner or later you're going to end up its punchline. And you can choose to be pissed off about it - or you can choose, instead, to laugh.

- - - - - - taken from the webcomic Queen of Wands

I'm back..

Aggie

A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well the sea than a fool can from a mountain top.

;) ;) ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

"The Presidency ought to be held at a higher level than having to answer questions from a snowman." - Mitt Rommey
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Frosty was asking questions to the president? (about what, global warming? ;) )
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Does he take questions from an inmigrant?  :o ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Alpaca

Well, if the immigrant is willing to serve this country like a soldier, i.e. campaign for Romney, sure.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may
not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

I'm back..

Opsa

Excellent one for here, Kiyo. I can't remember where it came from. It might make a good quote for the home page.

The Meromorph

In the words of Robert G. Ingersoll:
"Did it ever occur to them that a cancer is as beautiful in its development as is the reddest rose? That what they are pleased to call the adaptation of means to ends, is as apparent in the cancer as in the April rain? How beautiful the process of digestion! By what ingenious methods the blood is poisoned so that the cancer shall have food! By what wonderful contrivances the entire system of man is made to pay tribute to this divine and charming cancer! See by what admirable instrumentalities it feeds itself from the surrounding quivering, dainty flesh! See how it gradually but surely expands and grows! By what marvelous mechanism it is supplied with long and slender roots that reach out to the most secret nerves of pain for sustenance and life! What beautiful colors it presents! Seen through the microscope it is a miracle of order and beauty. All the ingenuity of man cannot stop its growth. Think of the amount of thought it must have required to invent a way by which the life of one man might be given to produce one cancer? Is it possible to look upon it and doubt that there is design in the universe, and that the inventor of this wonderful cancer must be infinitely powerful, ingenious and good?"
Dances with Motorcycles.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

from wikiLeak's front page:

News is what someone doesn't want you to know--everything else is advertising.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: The Meromorph on December 15, 2007, 09:21:58 PM
"Did it ever occur to them that a cancer is as beautiful in its development as is the reddest rose? That what they are pleased to call the adaptation of means to ends, is as apparent in the cancer as in the April rain? How beautiful the process of digestion! By what ingenious methods the blood is poisoned so that the cancer shall have food! By what wonderful contrivances the entire system of man is made to pay tribute to this divine and charming cancer! See by what admirable instrumentalities it feeds itself from the surrounding quivering, dainty flesh! See how it gradually but surely expands and grows! By what marvelous mechanism it is supplied with long and slender roots that reach out to the most secret nerves of pain for sustenance and life! What beautiful colors it presents! Seen through the microscope it is a miracle of order and beauty. All the ingenuity of man cannot stop its growth. Think of the amount of thought it must have required to invent a way by which the life of one man might be given to produce one cancer? Is it possible to look upon it and doubt that there is design in the universe, and that the inventor of this wonderful cancer must be infinitely powerful, ingenious and good?"

Remind me to track him down and kick his butt... :kickbutt:

I unnerstan' it, but I don' gotta like it... :nono: :soapbox:
This sig area under construction.

Darlica

Quote from: The Meromorph on December 15, 2007, 09:21:58 PM

IMHO not that taddy... I actually find it a quite careless and ignorant reasoning. :taz:

I can see how it could be written with irony like when Jonathan Swift wrote that the English aristocracy should be eating Irish babies and thereby solve two problems in one move... The problem is Cancer do not understand irony (the question is still out whether politicians do it or not) and you can't make cancer sway on it'd decisions by forming an intellectual opposition. I also see who the irony is aimed at, but it's lost on me. Cancer is simply not the tool to use when trying to making fun of Born Again Christians and alike. Go find a better tool!
I think his way of reasoning diminishes the suffering and pain cancer causes.

And it never impress me when someone makes defective conclusions because they haven't cared to check his facts or the facts doesn't fit in to their arguments. Cancer cells are not more orderly than normal cells and those pretty colours... Those are the results on contrast fluids added the lab technician added do be able do see which cell are what in the microscope!

Sorry for the :stick: fit.
  :-[

Neurons (Nerve cells) are BTW a thing of beauty.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

beagle

Before a fight breaks out let's all be upstanding and sing Monty Python's All Things Dull and Ugly

The angels have the phone box