News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Toadfish Thought of the Day

Started by Opsa, September 25, 2006, 11:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

When a woman behaves like a man why doesn't she behave like a nice man?
Dame Edith Evans

I found a thought for the day this morning but forgot to bookmark it. Searchin reveals nothing.

Beagle has probably come across it. It's something about mass and matter along the lines of if mass doesn't matter, matters less - or more -, that's the style of it, it was much cleverer and convoluted than that. It was word play not science but only if you know science....

I have been backwards googling for ages; giving up. But if anyone has a hint, I'd love to find it again.

Meanwhile here is an Eisteinian web site for the Day http://www.juliantrubin.com/einsteinjokes.html
Two made me chuckle aloud, and there's "Anything that doesn't matter has no mass. " - but the other one I'm looking for is better.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on June 09, 2007, 01:46:18 AM
Beagle has probably come across it. It's something about mass and matter along the lines of if mass doesn't matter, matters less - or more -, that's the style of it, it was much cleverer and convoluted than that. It was word play not science but only if you know science....

I have been backwards googling for ages; giving up. But if anyone has a hint, I'd love to find it again.

Well this one is from Bishop Berkeley, (though sometimes wrongly attributed to Homer Simpson):

"What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind!"

There's also the interesting philosophical question posed by Hawkwind's "Quark, Strangeness, and Charm":

"We got sick of chat chat chatter and the
look upon everybody's face
But all that does not anti-matter now
We've found ourselves a black hole in space
And we're talking about Quark, Strangeness and Charm"

If something doesn't matter does that mean it does anti-matter?

The considered opinion of the best philosophers in the area is currently "Heavy, dude".

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Nice one but not the one I can't find.

Just checked my Keynotes in Philosophy - can't seem to locate the "Heavy Dude" quote ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

I wonder if you really understood Philosophy the key notes would turn out to be blank? Just a thought crossing (what it amuses me to call) my mind.
The angels have the phone box

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Not much related to what you've been talking about, but here's another nice though, I've just came across:

"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine."

-- Anthony J. D'Angelo

EDIT: And another good one:

Invest your money in alcohol. Where else do you get 40%?

I'm back..

Aggie

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on June 09, 2007, 10:16:19 AM
EDIT: And another good one:

Invest your money in alcohol. Where else do you get 40%?

Heh!  If Sapporo hadn't taken the blighters over, I'd be buying ALE stock (Sleeman Unibroue). 
WWDDD?

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Another thought, this time some good things you should know about partys:

If you throw a New Year's Party, the worst thing that you can do would be to throw the kind of party where your guests wake up today, and call you to say they had a nice time. Now you'll be be expected to throw another party next year.

What you should do is throw the kind of party where your guest wake  up several days from now and call their lawyers to find out if they've been indicted for anything. You want your guests to be so anxious to avoid a recurrence of your party that they immediately start planning parties of their own, a year in advance, just to prevent you from having another one ...

If your party is successful, the police will knock on your door, unless your party is very successful in which case they will lob tear gas through your living room window. As host, your job is to make sure that they don't arrest anybody. Or if they're dead set on arresting someone, your job is to make sure it isn't you ...

I'm back..

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm back..

Opsa

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The difference between a boy and a man is the price of his toys.

(I don't know who said that first)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Here's a thought that suits today:

Monday is an awful way to spend one seventh of your life.

(don't know who said it, but I like the thought)

I'm back..

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

"There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Black Bart

If you are a Simpsons fan go on the Simpsons Movie Site and you can create yourselves a Simpsons Avatar:

She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.

Jack London (1876 - 1916)

I'm back..

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Action Movies on Symbolism

"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can't do that ... [omitted] ... as a man I'm flesh and blood I can be ignored I can be destroyed but as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting." - Bruce Wayne in "Batman Begins"

"A building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. A symbol, in and of itself is powerless, but with enough people behind it, blowing up a building can change the world." - V in "V for Vendetta"

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/