News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

How We Came to Honor the Toadfish

Started by Opsa, October 16, 2006, 10:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

This is a true story.

Long ago I was friends with a pair of young lovers. One day this happy pair decided to take a boat out onto the Chesapeake Bay and go fishing.

The didn't have much luck. Finally, as they headed home, they felt one of their fishing poles snag onto something. What they reeled up was a lady's purse! Being young lovers, they were living a rather meager lifestyle and were excited at the possibility of treasure. They pulled the waterlogged purse to shore and dumped out the contents.

Alas, it was free of cash and fabulous prizes. The only interesting thing it held was a lowly oyster toadfish. The pair shrieked at it's ugliness and shoved it back into the murky waters, disappointed.

I wonder if the humble bottom-feeder wasn't a bearer of good tidings. The pair were young and in love, what greater treasure could they possibly have had than that? If it had been a more beautiful or edible fish, they might not have let it go. Perhaps its humbleness is what saved it.

What causes human beings to make violence against eachother? It is an over-inflated sense of ego that gives one person the idea that his ways are better than that of another person. If we can take the time to listen to eachother and work at trying to tolerate our differences, we may live to see a more peaceful world. But this will take a conscious effort on our part.

We at the Toadfish Monastery practice the art of humbleness. This does not mean we think others are more important than we are, but that others have equal importance no matter who they are. We are willing to talk things over with them. Many of us have experienced very pleasing results from simply practicing mutual respect. It is not easy. Sometimes we mess up, but we are all here to help eachother up again, if possible.

There are some very interesting facts about the actual toadfish. One is that it is vocal. It can makes quite an impressive noise to call for its mate. So we here call out for our kind to come and join us.

The toadfish has teeth and will put up a heckova fight if snagged on a line. It is humble, but it is by no means a pushover! Thus we here will defend our lives and eachother if threatened.

Finally, the toadfish is a good parent. It takes care of its own. We try to do the same.

I don't know if any of this makes much sense but next time you're waxing philosophical, consider the toadfish and see if it inspires you. Maybe if it just cracks you up it is enough.

Humbly,
Ops

Vita Curator

Beautiful and eloquent Opsa.  A guiding light for our lives, and ideals we should all aspire to, reach for, and practice.
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Bluenose

A few years ago, I was fishing in East Gippsland (in the south east corner of Australia).  I was fishing in the lower reaches of a modest stream and the location was very beautiful, the water was crystal clear, the various trees on the banks shaded the stream and made it both beautiful to look at and comfortable by protecting me from the sun.  I was hoping to catch some black bream or leatherjacket to have a fish dinner that night.  Instead what I caught were some quite small toadfish.  BTW, all were returned unharmed to the water, most did not even need to be removed from the water to release.

Most anglers I know despise these fish because of their tendency to be caught in large numbers and to surround the bait in largish schools taking the bait instead of the target species and are considered a pest.  However I quickly found that these small fish were really beautiful, if only I looked at them the right way.  They have a remarkable and intricate pattern over their bodies that are gorgeous to behold and although their form is not traditionally beautiful, again if looked at the right way it has its own genuine charm.  After a while I stopped fishing and simply tossed bits of bait over the side of my boat, and just watched the toadfish.  I must have spent well over an hour doing this - it was simply fascinating.

What I discovered that day was that things often considered to be ugly and valueless can really be beautiful and valuable.

Nowadays I often find myself going against the conventional wisdom, and have discovered that just like the toadfish, many things looked over at first glance are well worth the trouble of a second look.  Often just being quiet in a place can enable you to see things you never even knew were there.  Look closely, you might be surprised what you see.

This is one lesson the toadfish has taught me, I am sure there are many more, if only we bother to look.

Nick
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Ah, Bluenose, that's a wonderful sentiment.
:toadfish: :toadfish: :toadfish:

Duke

"Humility is not to think less of yourself but to think of yourself less"
--Anonymous

I like that one.

Duke
"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and
danced naked on a harpsicord singing Subtle Plans Are Here Again!"
--Black Adder

The Holy Grail Of Signature Quotes: http://hgosq.blogspot.com/

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

ivor

Sounds like me ripping my pants but not quite as long.  :mrgreen:

Opsa

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

It bears a certain resemblance to another god............
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)