News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Multipurpose Gadgets

Started by Aggie, October 27, 2009, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Anyone currently use a smartphone with a reasonable gps and camera built in? 

The phone is not a mandatory item, necessarily (and in any case may not be supported by my carrier, although I think they are more flexible than most), but a GPS/camera would be an incredibly handy field item.  Having a phone included would cut my gadget load significantly, but I would not want to sacrifice GPS functionality for the sake of a phone.  Navigation capacity is nice to have (and standard on smartphone types, I suspect) but my primary purpose is accurately marking the location of sampling points.

I need a GPS and am wavering between buying the cheapest reliable waypoint-marker I can get my hands on (probably a Garmin Etrex Legend H; they are basic but work for my purposes) to match the cheap Canon digital field camera I use, or stepping up to the Garmin Oregon 550 with an integrated camera:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=26875

3.2 Mp is plenty of camera for reporting purposes, and having the photos geotagged would be a great add-on.  What I haven't figured out yet is whether photos are geotagged with photo direction by the built-in compass, which is actually a bigger deal than the location in most cases. Going to have to do a little inquiring....

I get a $15/day camera allowance and a $15/day GPS allowance for sites where these are required; my cheap camera is already close to paid off.  If I was to pick up a cheap GPS it would not take long to pay off and then save profits towards a dual-purpose gadget ($10/day for phone, too... but that mostly goes towards airtime. I bought a near-disposable phone for $50 as my carrier requires phone purchase but does not tie me to a contract).  OTOH, why spend $150-ish for a cheap GPS when I could roll this into purchasing something more elegant? 

OTTH (if I had three), with new technology it is often better to wait for the bugs to get worked out, so a cheap unit for now would take the winter abuse and give me a chance to wait for refinements, additional models and potential price reductions.   The Legends seem to hate the cold, though....
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Can't see a downside to a GPS phone with built in camera provided it is a decent one. But then I don't know much about GPS.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Big issues would probably be accuracy and specific functions (downloadable apps could probably take care of the latter). Vehicle navigation-oriented GPS units don't need to be accurate within a few metres, and I think most phones would be geared for that or casual street navigation.   I also doubt a smartphone would have the type of compasses I need to get accurate spatial placement / direction.

If I was going strictly for a rugged, capable GPS I might look at something like the GPSMAP 60CSx (nearly as much as the Oregon 550, but a little more heavy-duty and possibly more accurate):
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310#featureTab

Garmin does make a GPS phone, but I think it may be more navigation oriented and no camera:
http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/

I haven't looked beyond Garmin at the moment, as I'm familiar with their product  -  I am aware of one other gps-with-camera but the resolution is lower (2.0 Mp) and probably not sufficient (ooh, but it does come with a flashlight and a mp3 player built in - wish the camera was better!):
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/magellan/triton2000.htm
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

While I love my smartphone (a G1) which has a GPS and a camera there are some downsides for what you want to accomplish. The camera is OK provided there is enough light on the shots, it doesn't have a flash and the phones with flash I know have a lousy flash so forget about pictures of dark places. As for the GPS either you must have a data connection to find yourself on the map or pay for an extra app that caches the maps for you, or if you need just your coordinates there are apps that can tell you but the accuracy may not be up to your needs. Also smartphones are proverbial battery eaters, so an adapter for the car is a must.

I have the feeling that a cheap trek GPS (you don't really need the map but the coordinates, right?) and a cheap camera will work better and more economically than a smartphone for you.
---
Now, did you know that I can play PacMan, Doom, card games, synchronize my mail and documents with google, view traffic on real time on my GPS (as long as I have data connection) and even a star map that tells me what star or planet I'm looking at just by pointing the phone at it?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Yeah, the phone is the least of my worries.  Didn't know the data connection was required for GPS - that's a killer.  However, I'm still interested in the GPS/camera combo, especially since that Garmin will probably support overlays on Google Maps (i.e. can have photos with proper locations overlaid on an air photo - beautiful for updating clients / managers).   I really want to have photo direction included in the geotag, so I don't have to write descriptions of which direction I was facing - the 550 has the internal components necessary to do this, but I'm not sure if it actually does.

Flash is a non-issue as I shut mine off most of the time - photos are outdoors and the flash can trip fire-eye on plant sites (i.e. shut the whole place down immediately).

WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I also have a G1, and I agree with regards to the camera.

As for GPS?  It's only accurate to within 20-30 yards or worse, so I've not bothered with anything beyond the freeby's it came with.  Although I'm given to understand there's a "better" GPS app you can add, for a fee.

My buddy has a Palm Pre, which includes a GPS that's pretty good, according to him-- it has a "walking" mode, suitable for non-vehicle use-- he reports it's reasonable accurate for what it is, and has used the walking mode any number of times, in cities, with good success.  He's not tried it in deep woods.

I've no idea about the camera, he's not said, being one of those "camera elite" types-- he's invested in thousands of semi-pro and pro Canon digital camera equipment, so that's hardly surprising.

Having a single device, "all-in-one" does reduce your weight.  It also reduces your reliability:  you've put all your eggs into a single device, so to speak-- and carrying a fully charged battery (or 2 or 3) would be a must-- most of these phone/GPS/cameras' batteries are severely limited, IMHO.  

On the third paw, I purchased a 3rd party battery for my G1, complete with larger back, that roughly doubles the phone's thickness.  But.  I can mess with the internet, the Google Maps (which uses GPS), and the cell all day long, and be only down by 1/2....  this battery brags it's 190% of the original in capacity.  And that seems about right.  I typically go 2-3 days before a charge.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Agujjim on October 27, 2009, 10:25:21 PM
Didn't know the data connection was required for GPS - that's a killer. 
In theory it doesn't and with an app that only gives coordinates it shouldn't be a problem but I had an odd experience while in Mexico where the GPS did not update it's position while disconnected most of the time. I don't know if it was related to the google maps app or that the other app (that caches the area) was in a trial mode.
Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 27, 2009, 10:31:18 PM
On the third paw, I purchased a 3rd party battery for my G1, complete with larger back, that roughly doubles the phone's thickness.  But.  I can mess with the internet, the Google Maps (which uses GPS), and the cell all day long, and be only down by 1/2....  this battery brags it's 190% of the original in capacity.  And that seems about right.  I typically go 2-3 days before a charge.
I've been tempted but with the one with less capacity (ie: more capacity than the standard but on the same size) mostly because my silicon protector wouldn't work with the thicker battery.

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 27, 2009, 10:31:18 PM
My buddy has a Palm Pre, which includes a GPS that's pretty good, according to him-- it has a "walking" mode, suitable for non-vehicle use-- he reports it's reasonable accurate for what it is, and has used the walking mode any number of times, in cities, with good success.  He's not tried it in deep woods.

-------

Having a single device, "all-in-one" does reduce your weight.  It also reduces your reliability:  you've put all your eggs into a single device, so to speak-- and carrying a fully charged battery (or 2 or 3) would be a must-- most of these phone/GPS/cameras' batteries are severely limited, IMHO.

I'd like sub-5-m accuracy; that GPSMAP 60CSx would fit the bill and would take an external antenna that might help (stick it to my hard hat? ;D).  I don't think a smartphone could come close at this point.  Anything more accurate than that, you'd need to go to a Trimble.

AFAIK, a dedicated handheld GPS will nearly always take AA batteries - one of the reasons beside the low price that I bought the most primitive digital camera I could find.  Rechargeable integrated batteries are no good if you're away from the truck, especially in cold weather. 

I would always keep a camera in my bag as a back-up and for flash or high-res photography, but I'm often taking photos at the same time I'm walking around shooting GPS locations, and as previously stated having the photos location-tagged is of great advantage for documentation purposes.  It's more a question of pocket space and losing something out of one's bulging pockets than it is about total number of gadgets hauled out to the field - I have to pack tons of safety gear, PPE and sampling equipment.

OK, if money issn't an object, I want this:
http://www.trimble.com/yuma-rugged-tablet.shtml 

Only $3999 ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Aggie

The clincher is having photo direction included - which I think needs a sophisticated 3-d electronic compass.  I don't know if anything does this, though.

I still need a standalone GPS for waypoint mapping, and it's still an extra gizmo.

UPDATE:  I did end up buying an Etrex Legend H for the meantime (needed a GPS for current job and figured paying 10% off immediately was worth it).  I may get it paid for and then sell it at a discount to a co-worker, if they need one. ;)
WWDDD?

Aggie

Need camera advice.... calling DavidH!

Do you know anything about the Sony DSC-HX5V?  It sounds like just the ticket for what I'm looking for in terms of a camera with directional geotagging.  I've paid my Canon off six times over from camera allowances, so I can afford to buck up for this guy (which isn't ridiculously expensive, somewhere around $400).

Contrary to the above post, I think I can get away with just a geotagging camera for work, since I can shoot whatever I am taking a waypoint of.  I've still got a GPS (or two) around for anything I'd need it for, such as navigating back to a spot or just for general hiking.

For serious backwoods security, I'd be tempted to pick up one of these instead of a regular GPS (might have to see if the boss would cover the subscriptions if I paid for the unit):
http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/SPOTcommunicator.htm
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Sorry, Aggie, I know nothing about it.  Googling it, it's small and light and has a lot of zoom for a compact, and good wide angle at the other end.  Also it has a built-in panorama thing, which you might find very handy. The GPS tagging  bit looks useful, too.  It doesn't have arty stuff like aperture priority but it has got a lot of scene modes.  One thing, though - it uses a special battery, so you might need to carry a spare on a trip.  Also it has no viewfinder, which I hate in bright light, but then nor does your A480.
I found it for $350.
But wow, that Delorme gadget really looks like the dog's thingies.

Aggie

Ayuh, we use the stand-alone SPOTs when out of cell range, but they don't allow texting out specific messages.  Having a GPS that could load aerial photos would be invaluable.

I admit that I'm drooling a bit over the panoramic function on that camera - I like my panoramic shots.   The directional geotagging, however, is invaluable for field use, and would keep me from having to explain photos.

The special battery, I forgot about, but I could either carry a spare and charger or keep my Cannon Canon around.  Weight is not an issue on field trips, so extra gadgets are OK to pack in the truck, just not on my person.
WWDDD?

The Meromorph

Aggie, Sorry, I'm late to this thread, but the HTC HD2 does everything you were asking for. There are multiple free and paid apps for Geotagging/GeoCaching, Full GPS capability, Full Compass,, Navigation (data connection, and standalone) including Google Maps, Bing etc. 5 mp camera with flash, 1Gigaherz procesor, 1 gigabyte of storage, plus SD card (16 Gb), email, SMS. etc.
I love mine...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aggie

Hmm, I'll take a look at it, Mero.

The thing is, I might not actually want to use it as a phone...  I am (surprisingly) happy with my carrier at the moment, and they don't do SIM cards, so they might not be able to handle a random phone.  Plus, my $50 beater Samsung phone takes much mud abuse and has nearly been lost down a hole a few times - I'd not like to continously pack a $500 gizmo.

I'm still somewhat sceptical (until I see one in action) that smartphone GPS has the accuracy and precision (sub 5m would be nice; 5 - 10 is more typical of my old Garmin) that I'm looking for, and is completely data-connection-independent.  I intend to go to the Sony store with GPS in hand and do a shootout of the camera vs. my GPS if I get a chance. 
WWDDD?