News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Wireless 'Net for Dummies

Started by Aggie, September 17, 2009, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Need a crash course in the basics of setting up a small wireless home network (2 computers plus transient laptops) - cheaply if possible. Any tips or good online guides? I'm sure I will be able to handle the actual setup; I'm more interested in what hardware I should be buying.  Recommendations on specifications and brands are very welcome.

------

While we are at it, I need a new PC eventually and could use some pointers there, too.  We are non-gamers, so the use I need to optimize for is streaming video.  My wife complains about how slow things are, which may be mostly because she's trying to access Korean sites over Canadian networks (but also because we haven't had a new computer in years). What are the key specs I need to be looking at?
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I imagine you connect to the internet using either a cable modem or a DSL modem. Any of those should have an ethernet port with which you should be able to connect to a wireless router. If your modem doesn't have ethernet (USB would be the case) then you need a new modem with ethernet. Sometimes the modems come with the wireless router already (my FiL has a DSL modem with WiFi in one box).

Assuming your modem has ethernet, you should get a wireless router. I have been mostly lucky with D-Link but Linksys is OK too. In some cases it may be advisable to upgrade the firmware (I did that with my new D-Link) but if the box works well out of the box it may be better to leave it alone.

After that the usual configuration is Modem --> Router (WAN port) --> PC (LAN port) + WiFi. Some boxes have a CD to autoconfigure and it may be easier (in my case I had to clone the MAC address of the modem to get to the internet, and the wizard may take care of that easily). After that you should be able to connect wirelessly. Note that certain parts of the configuration may be only accessible through the web interface of the modem, like security (open networks are generous with the neighbors but they may try to read your data or use your connection for P2P) in which case WPA* encryption may be a good idea.

As for a new PC if you are of the adventurous kind I would suggest to build it yourself. It will be cheaper and you can control the parts. I could give you a suggested shopping cart if you want.

This is an overview, we can go into more details but that would depend on the actual hardware.

*WPA II is better but the adapters from your laptops may not be able to use the standard (that's what happened to me, at least).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 18, 2009, 01:59:50 AMAs for a new PC if you are of the adventurous kind I would suggest to build it yourself. It will be cheaper and you can control the parts. I could give you a suggested shopping cart if you want.

One day.  I have more money than time at the moment, unfortunately. :P
And while I feel very comfortable tinkering around with mechanical items and simple electronics, I still have a "don't muck with what's in the box" paranoia with computers. ::)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

There is a little problem buying an OEM box nowadays: Vista

If you wait for about a month you'll be able to get Windows 7 that should work a bit better than the abomination referenced above.

Mmm, checking Dell I found this which has XP and a decent video card (Intel integrated graphics sucks badly and nVidia has been having problems with their chips, leaving ATi as the only decent option). Dunno if that model is available in Canada though.

The price isn't impossible but you can build it yourself with better specs for ~$300-$400.  :-\

Aggie

Ayuh, the Vista issue....   if it's a month, I can wait.  One computer shop here is offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 for systems bought with Vista:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/

I've heard grumblings against Dell; HP and Gateway have been recommended.  I was pretty happy with my old HP, until it blew up (almost certainly choked on dust in our last apartment).
WWDDD?

Bluenose

We can still access HP PCs with XP "downgraded" (pre installed).  This is only for business class machines, but for a non-game machine it may well be worth finding a business supplier.  The cost is about the same as a similalry configured retail box (except for the very cheapest, and usually nastiest, ones).

I imagine it is the same over there, you just need to get out of the reatail/consumer rut and find someone who supplies PCs for business uers.

Just my 2c.

BTW, I like Linksys wireless routers, but if you get one with the "automatic" secure setup, unless you have Linksys network adapters throughout the network (and you won't) don't use it.  You can set up security manually, its not hard.  I agree with Zono about WPA too.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

If I'm password-protecting the network, do I need to encrypt as well? 

I am assuming from the setup Zono gave at least one PC will still be 'hard wired' to the 'net (I have a cable modem with ethernet, btw) and that this PC shouldn't be subject to someone poking around in my airwaves.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Endorse Bluenose on XP downgradeable and the business route. I always buy business and it costs no more than "home users".

My home network is dead simple.

I have a wireless-router modem (a single piece of kit) and two machines connected wirelessly. Occasionally I connect one of them via USB but that's just when I am fiddling with the set up.

I don't use ethernet but could as machines and router have ethernet ports. Most decent ones have wireless/USB/ethernet. The reason to use ethernet for you would be speed although the limits to speed maybe outside whatever set up you go for anyway. In any case if the ethernet was faster, you'd need to be watching the streaming on the ethernet conected machine.

Go for biggest memory you can afford on the PC/laptops.

Yes to encryption. Absolute must. And go for WPA.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I haven't had as many issues with Dell as with HP but in the end is pretty much the same thing: the parts come from the lowest bidder.

About the 'free' update I have a little tale: right when Vista was about to come out many OEMs offered a free upgrade to Vista from XP (worst idea in the world but nobody knew then) and when the time came frequently it wasn't really free but most importantly there were compatibility problems upgrading.

IMHO you should either go XP now or wait to get a W7 properly installed in a month.

Quote from: Agujjim on September 18, 2009, 02:39:25 PM
If I'm password-protecting the network, do I need to encrypt as well? 

I am assuming from the setup Zono gave at least one PC will still be 'hard wired' to the 'net (I have a cable modem with ethernet, btw) and that this PC shouldn't be subject to someone poking around in my airwaves.
Password protected = encrypted

If you leave the network open someone connected to the wireless network could see any shared documents on the wired computer. If you get someone really interested it can hack the system that way, although a really interested party would know how to hack WEP and/or WPA, so the best thing is not to have someone really interested... ;)

Ideally you would use WPA2 for security but there is a chance that it may not work with your current adapters.

In anycase Griffin is right about having a wired computer, once you have the wireless you can perfectly not have one wired. The reason for the wired usually is that desktops not always have a wireless card/adapter (oh and it is faster regardless).

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 18, 2009, 02:52:20 PM
If you leave the network open someone connected to the wireless network could see any shared documents on the wired computer. If you get someone really interested it can hack the system that way, although a really interested party would know how to hack WEP and/or WPA, so the best thing is not to have someone really interested... ;)

If you use WPA2 with AES encryption you should be fine as long as you don't choose an easily guessed pass-phrase and the you're not doing anything to attract the attention of serious dudes with overcoats and dark sunglasses and names like "Agent Smith".
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 18, 2009, 02:52:20 PMAbout the 'free' update I have a little tale: right when Vista was about to come out many OEMs offered a free upgrade to Vista from XP (worst idea in the world but nobody knew then) and when the time came frequently it wasn't really free but most importantly there were compatibility problems upgrading.

IMHO you should either go XP now or wait to get a W7 properly installed in a month.

I will look into XP-based business systems (probably less crapware off the bat in any case); the upgrade is done by the retailer, who is probably more service than retail-oriented in any case - i.e. they know what they are doing.

Quote from: Bluenose on September 18, 2009, 03:07:48 PM
If you use WPA2 with AES encryption you should be fine as long as you don't choose an easily guessed pass-phrase and the you're not doing anything to attract the attention of serious dudes with overcoats and dark sunglasses and names like "Agent Smith".

LOL, I don't even guess easily-guessed LPWB's.  And the most interesting thing I do online (from a security perspective) is banking.
WWDDD?

beagle

If I was you and wanted a desktop I'd find the Canadian equivalent of somebody like http://www.woc.co.uk who will use decent parts to build you a better machine than the HPs or Dells of this world.  Doesn't mean you have to pick every last bolt yourself.
Remember to buy cheap OEM versions of Office etc at the same time (unless you're into the hippyware stuff  ;) ).

If you want a portable I'd go Toshiba/Sony *.  Or even convince your boss you need a Panasonic Toughbook, though the toughened machines are usually a bit behind ordinary ones on the performance spec front.

I'd put it off until after Oct 22, when you can get Windows 7.  I think XP will start to look very old soon after that.

* I like Sony, though I think Griffin had trouble after I recommended them to her.  All the Sony computers I have bought still work.
The angels have the phone box

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: beagle on September 18, 2009, 11:28:39 PM
I'd put it off until after Oct 22, when you can get Windows 7.  I think XP will start to look very old soon after that.

I'll echo the Windoze 7 thing.

Alas, this is one I'm gonna have to shell out $$ to microsquish for... (based on the never buy alternate-number versions of Microsquish products...)

Fortunately, I'm hooked up with a local computer builder, and can get the OEM version of Windoze 7 on the cheap.  Sure, I don't get a printed manual.....wait.  Microsquish quit doing that years ago...

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Remember to buy cheap OEM versions of Office etc at the same time (unless you're into the hippyware stuff  ;)
I just finished re-installing windows* for a friend and I did the hippyware for him: Firefox, VLC, OpenOffice, SpybotSD, AVG, etc. If you need MSOffice let your boss pay for it, otherwise 'hippyware' does 98% for free.
:P

* And the gods of irony prevent me from moving him to Ubuntu because he still uses dial-up and the bloody modem is an emulator on top of the audio card.

Griffin NoName

* I like Sony, though I think Griffin had trouble after I recommended them to her.  All the Sony computers I have bought still work.

Only trouble with Sony was they messed up the registration of my support pack but I eventually got that sorted. The real trouble was Vistaaaaaargh!

I love my Sony.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand