News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Concerning Turkish grocers

Often they occur in small groups of shops, e.g. one selling fruit, the second bread,cheese, pickled stuff and the third the 'raw' green stuff, i.e. all kinds of vegetables. A Döner is also often close nearby. The Döner variety invented in Berlin (where I live) has started a world conquest and is in some countries (e.g. China) considered a quintessential German food (same as chop suey is seen as typical American)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Germany.
I hear it has also started to make inroads in Turkey itself.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

The Meromorph

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 30, 2013, 08:08:44 PM
Do Turkish greengrocers actually sell greens? It doesn't seem very Turkish. In the UK "greens" as in vegetable are very specific - the term is assumed to mean a particular vegetable leaf rather than being a generic term for several different types - or stages of development. At least, as far as I have ever shopped, cooked and eaten.

Ain't you never heard of Greengrocers, girl? Used to be one in nearly every block of local shops in England...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

^ we still have them............ but if you specify "greens" as a food it means the specific leaf. An interesting observation- I have never eaten greens or seen greens on the menu at a restaurant. I guess greens aint posh which may be why they are specific.

Turkish Grocers are presumably distinct from Turkish Greengrocers? Or not?

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

It seems at least peculiar that Turkish shops for edible things tend to sell either fruit or veggies but not both at the same time around here and are often door to door. German shops usually combine both.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Unless the manager of your friendly neighborhood Aldi is Turkish...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Not the manager (to my knowledge) but one of the guys that works there is a Turk.
And the Turkish shops as described above lie directly next to the Aldi

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm sure it must be a delight, unless they don't sell those.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Is Turkish dellight even Turkish?

Griffin NoName

I don't like the orange coloured ones.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

For years I thought Turkish delight was something that only occured in Narnia. We have a Turkish delight based chocolate bar here (sort of), but it's otherwise a rare confection.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 01, 2013, 02:52:34 AM
^ we still have them............ but if you specify "greens" as a food it means the specific leaf. An interesting observation- I have never eaten greens or seen greens on the menu at a restaurant. I guess greens aint posh which may be why they are specific.

Ok, so what are greens by that definition? What kind of plant?
WWDDD?

The Meromorph

Turnip greens, Dandelion greens, Parsnip greens, and such. Generally the leafy, above-ground parts of root vegetables.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Humbly disagree with Mero. Those would be called eg. parsnip tops.

Greens is dark leaf of cabbage - full term is spring greens - but in my house just truncated to "greens".

http://www.thinkvegetables.co.uk/vegetable.asp?VegetableID=21

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Ocado-Spring-Greens/56302011?from=search&tags=%7C20000&param=greens&parentContainer=SEARCHgreens_SHELFVIEW
Psychic Hotline Host

The Meromorph

I humbly accept correction.  :P
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Did you know that each of the Three Musketeers (that were actually four*) is based on a real historical person?

*not actually news ;)