News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on June 28, 2013, 02:39:24 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 28, 2013, 02:27:12 AM
You'll be telling us sets at a different time on the moon next ;)

An astronaut orbiting in space will experience sunrise and sunset many times in one orbit.  Some of the lower orbits took but 90 minutes to complete (if my memory serves), making their "day" only 90 minutes long...

... :D

But would they get their birthdays sooner, since they had all ready lived more days than the rest of us on Earth?

Griffin NoName

I thought astronauts aged more slowly, returning younger than their contempories.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

That's it. Sign me up for the space program!  ;D

Swatopluk

Did you know that the term 'strike' for work stoppage got coined when sailors 'struck sails' to protest wage cutting in 18th century England?
Did you also know that said sailors (all from slave ships) in Liverpool used ship artillery to bombard the slave merchants' headquarters after the latter tried stalling tactics?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aphos

The "scuttle butt" was a barrel of fresh water placed on the deck of a sailing ship.  The sailors would take a short break, get a drink of water from the scuttle butt, and pass along gossip.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Opsa

Y'arrrrggghhhh! Interesting and piratey at the same time!

Bluenose

Apologies for a little intra-thread necromancy...

Quote from: Swatopluk on December 21, 2012, 10:22:09 AM
Did you know that in a facility near Melbourne 40000 hand-knitted pullovers are stored...for penguins?

Yes I did, and Mrs Blue has knitted some of them.

Carry on...
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Did you know that Mrs. Blue is astounding?

Bluenose

Well, what can I say?  She had the good* sense to choose me!   ::)

Did you know that Nova the lyrebird at Healesville Sanctuary can not only do a very good imitation a large number of other bird calls (generally better than the original) but can also imitate a car alarm and a camera shutter?

---
* As in "not very" good...
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

I saw this bird (or his cousin) in a David Attenborough docu. 'Chainsaw' was also in the repertoire.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

I saw that one, too. It was fascinating.

So, what else ya got?  ;D

Aggie

Quote from: Bluenose on August 29, 2013, 02:57:07 AM
Did you know that Nova the lyrebird at Healesville Sanctuary can not only do a very good imitation a large number of other bird calls (generally better than the original) but can also imitate a car alarm and a camera shutter?

We had a pet starling that could talk (mimic simple phrases) but preferred to imitate more annoying sounds, like the squeaky bearing in the clothes dryer. I've little doubt that had he been kept in an office rather than the laundry room, fax machine would have been the preferred thing to mimic.
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Did you know that near where I used to live in the UK there was a shop that had an Indian Mynor named Bill that used to wolf-whistle at any attractive young ladies that walked by the shop.  If such a young lady entered the shop accompanied by her boyfriend, Bill would say in a loud, oily voice "you dirty old man!"  The owner of the shop would then yell "Bill!" and Bill would hang his head and say in a pitiful voice "Bill sorry..."

Birds can be amazing!   8)

Griffin NoName

Wonder where Bill learnt these phrases.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The sorry part reminds me Alex the parrot, who apologized in what Mrs. Pepperberg calls an almost manipulative way.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.