News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

DYKT 1.6 million children are homeless in the USA.

(you may well know, but I was shocked0
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Lindorm

Did you know that a research group at Cambridge recently published a study in neural cell regeneration that had some amazing results? By transplanting cells from the nose of a dog to the spine, they managed to stimulate neural regeneration in old spinal injuries. While none of the dogs involved got back full use of their hindquarters, quite a few of them actually regained some movement in their previously paralysed rear halves, and soma where even able to walk and wag their tails again.

Fascinating, at least to me.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling DavidH

Yes, that was amazing.  If they can just transfer it to humans, previously paralysed patients will be able to pee on lamp posts and sniff people's bottoms.  :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 20, 2012, 06:30:54 AM
DYKT 1.6 million children are homeless in the USA.

(you may well know, but I was shocked0

Call me cynic but I would have expected even higher numbers.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

With poverty between 15% - 20% depending how you count, and four years straight of foreclosures it isn't surprising at all.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Did you know that within the last 20 years 95% of all buildings in Mekka and Medina have been torn down to make room for new ones?

This includes the house Mohammed was born in (replaced by a library) and the house of his beloved first wife (replaced by public toilets).
Officially it is to make the holy cities ready for the future (neither is able to cope with the rapidly growing pilgrimage) but behind it is also a desire similar to that of the Taliban and the fanatics in Timbuktu to get rid of anything that is or could become a focal point of worship outside the extremly narrow window of tolerance of the regime. Currently on the target list are the tombs of the first caliphs (to be replaced by an extension of the Great Mosque).
Main profiteer is (what a surprise*) the bin Laden family, owner of the largest and best connected construction company in the region.

*not to me actually

Sibling DavidH

Did you know that in Afrikaans there is a word opscheplooper, meaning a person who always turns up just as food is being served?

EDIT:  corrected spelling of opscheplooper

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on November 24, 2012, 05:48:50 PM
Did you know that in Afrikaans there is a word opschleplooper, meaning a person who always turns up just as food is being served?
Now that's a word I can get behind. With a knife and fork.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Sibling DavidH

DYKT that in 1991, a Bedouin tribe delayed its annual migration across the Sahara because its elders were not prepared to miss the last episode of Dallas?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9700764/Larry-Hagman-the-superstar-who-made-history.html

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Did you know that urban birds increasingly integrate cigarette stubs into the construction of their nests? A study by Mexican scientists observed that the effect is a benevolent one because the nicotine is a good defense against parasites. The more stubs were used in the nest building the less was the parasite infestation.

Sibling DavidH

Did you know that today, 12/12/12 is the last repeating date we will ever see?

(Unless we make it to 01/01/2013.)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Don't worry, we'll get more if we move to Mars where the year lasts 686 days so we'll need at least ten more months.  :P
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Oops, I meant 01/01/(21)01, of course.  Just a small slip of the brain. ::)