News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Did you know that the combined weight of all the ants in the world is 9 billion tons, more than 40 times the total wieght of all humans?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Not specifically but I knew that insects combined outweigh all other multicellular lifefoms combined.
No competition for single cell organisms though.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Actually, I doubt whether this is a totally accurate figure ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I doubt that anyone actually went out to count the ants (and returned to tell the story)

Griffin NoName

No, those Fire Ants can be tricky. And we know nothing about the metabolic rate of ants.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

:D

Nice.   And you made me learn something I didn't already know, too.   :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roland Deschain

Did you know animals live in the zoo? True story. ;D

There's a picture of a 10 year old me stroking a sheep in a petting zoo somewhere in the family photos. The wallaby wouldn't let me get near it though, so I didn't get a picture with that one. :(
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

Well, there are animals that have adapted to life in the zoo despite not being zoo animals. I.e. they are not on any official list (except maybe of pests to get rid of). And the famous Hagenbeck Zoo (the first public in Euope iirc) had a certain species of lagomorphs running around freely (not sure whether they kept the tradition).

In some cases?  I suspect the actual zoo part is for the people to be seen and studied by the wiser and more intelligent animals...

:)

Sibling DavidH

I always think of this bit from The Goon Show:

SEAGOON:
A big crowd of people here today.

ZOO KEEPER:
Yes, I know. We let 'em in for the animals to look at, you see. Trouble is, we have to lock the boa constrictors up so the kids don't get at them, you know. Lost four boa constrictors last year, kids taking them home all the time...

Griffin NoName

My son: Where do penguins live?
My Grandaughter: in the zoo

Lesson Number One on Antartica: Failed.

....True story
Psychic Hotline Host