News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

Knock off 0.0366666666666667 seconds for the light to travel, and that's quite a fast time.  :mrgreen:

Bluenose

Umm,  actually that would be closer to 0.00183 seconds...

[/pedant mode]
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 20, 2010, 08:32:09 AM
Did you know that there actually isn't a place named Power Cable (Nebraska) despite being proverbial.
Same goes for the legendary Kyritz an der Knatter* (there is a town by the name of Kyritz and there is a river referred to as the Knatter (rattle) but they are too far apart to justify the combination).

*same connotation as provincial town in the middle of nowhere

Interesting - the colloquialism most often used here is 'Buttf*ck'  e.g. 'Buttf*ck, Alberta', although I'm pretty sure that one does not exist.

'Moose Jaw' might be held up as an example, but it's actually a large city, by SK standards (3rd largest, similar in stature to Red Deer, AB, I think).
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Well my place of choice in these situations is Upper Kumbucta West, but probably the most common Aussie such place is The Black Stump which is some plaace very remote and very far away.  It is usually referred to in a construct like "the biggest/best/worst/smallest whatever this side of The Black Stump" which means that even if there is one bigger (etc) beyond The Black Stump, it is so remote that it is not worthy of consideration.

Another Aussieism is "back o' Bourke".  Bourke is a real place in far north western NSW, very remote.  Consequently anywhere "back o' Bourke" is really beyond the pale.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: BluenoseUmm,  actually that would be closer to 0.00183 seconds.../pedant mode]

Yeah, that was my figure until I noted:
Quote from: Swatosending the time signal forward and back
so I doubled it.  (2*your figure = mine).

Nyah, nyah nyah!  ;D

Swatopluk

Yeah, but the signal had to be hand-cranked.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

So obviously the light travels slower than if it were hit by a motorised paddle.  :brainbleech:

Bluenose

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on October 21, 2010, 05:33:06 PM
Quote from: BluenoseUmm,  actually that would be closer to 0.00183 seconds.../pedant mode]

Yeah, that was my figure until I noted:
Quote from: Swatosending the time signal forward and back
so I doubled it.  (2*your figure = mine).

Nyah, nyah nyah!  ;D

Well...  actually, no.  I don't think so.  The synchronisation signal would be a one way process, from the source to the recipient.  Acknowledgement, whilst important happens after the synch signal has been sent.

So Nyah,nyah, nyah right back at you!  :P

i love these important, mature, intellectual discussions....

Swatopluk

But by measuring the lag between the sent out signal and the received answer the synchronisation can be refined.

Griffin NoName

Did you know it is illegal to be buried on a mountain?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on November 01, 2010, 07:53:48 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 31, 2010, 06:52:51 PM
Did you know it is illegal to be buried on a mountain?

Where?

What do you mean, where?

Like whereabouts on the mountain? Summit? Foothills?   <deliberately obtuse because I don't know the answer>
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

The Zoroastrian sky burial may be a reaction to that ban ;)

Did you know that Irish monks probably reached America shortly before the Vikings (but definitely Greenland and Iceland)? In leather boats!

Griffin NoName

So they were all fetishists?
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

They tended to be professional masochists at the time. Maybe the travellers were expelled for having different predilections.

Did you know that Leonardo da Vinci was subjected to an early form of Don't-ask-don't-tell?
(essentially: we know you are gay but while you work for the church keep it to yourself!)