News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

GERMANY HELP!!

Started by Sibling Chatty, March 15, 2007, 11:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Chatty

Dan and Gary will be in Germany, somewhere near Munich sometime during Octoberfest.

They're looking at staying in Oberammergau, because of price and availability. Any other places on the trainlines that won't be as crowded/expensive?
This sig area under construction.

Bluenose

Plenty of room at my place, of course, it's probably a bit far from the venue...  ::)
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on March 15, 2007, 11:55:12 PM
They're looking at staying in Oberammergau, because of price and availability. Any other places on the trainlines that won't be as crowded/expensive?

They could find sleepers on the trainlines  ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

Not during Oktoberfest...

They're leaving Houston on Sept. 17th, they'll not be back until Oct 26 or 27, and they're trying to figure out all this mess as economically as possible. FOUR days in Munich during Oktoberfest, so Oberammergau will probably be the best bet (Murnau's closer, and where they 'll have to change trains to get to Oberammegau, but it's also booked up) UNLESS there's some smaller town in another direction that's not as well known, but has train access AND a hotel of some sort...

(I have been trying to convince them that they can take me along as far as Bern or Interlaken, but Gary's not buying it. I agreed to stay there and meet up again in Prague, but NOOOOO...)

Feh, once they get to Dublin, they'll survive, but I am worried about the Copenhagen/Amsterdam/Brussels or Bruge part of the trip. Dan will be completely out of his depths languagewise.

They'll be in England, an a free-form sort of way, from Oct 19th until the 24th or 25th, probably hitting London on the 22nd or 23rd. If the pirates want to get together for a pint and YAAAAARRRR!! a bit, they'd be delighted to join you!

Swatopluk

I wouldn't go near Oberammergau by 10 miles but that is a personal prejudice.
Just remember: you won't easily find a more catholic place in the country (except Altötting). Your coming will probably not coincide with the Passion Play (otherwise you would not be able to get sleeping quarters anywhere in the district).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Chatty

Well, it's the locale of the closest hotel rooms they can find, unless you know of a town that's about as close but not as well known, with a hotel that's fairly reasonable...and easily accessible by train.

They'd NOT be Passion Play attendees if it were in their front parlor. Dan regards the Bible as fiction, and Gary regards the Passion Play as the stupidest thing his ex-girlfriend ever wanted to see, and she ruined an entire 5 week trip to Germany and Scotland, including 2 days in London for which she was 'too tired' to go to the theater, although he'd booked tickets months before.

One of many reasons she's an ex.