News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

We're O-kay!

Started by Outis the Unready, October 13, 2006, 02:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outis the Unready

If anyone is watching the weather channel and worrying, we are OKAY. We have
power in our neighborhood, and we're o-kay.

Normally, 4 inches of snow would not be a problem, but it is 34 degrees and all
of our oaks and elms (Buffalo has 50 elm trees and is a source of dutch elm
resistant stock) and maples and apples still have ALL their leaves, so trees are
going down left and right and taking out cars and powerlines because the snow is
very sticky and very heavy (because it is above freezing.)

It's also coming with thunder and lightning.

Check the weather channel for details!

where is the butter?
I can't live without butter.
Please pass the butter.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Take care while driving (although I assume you know your way in the snow).

(snow? the last time it snowed here was 20+ years ago, now it is as hot and humid as ever...).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Outis the Unready

My boss told me to not come in if the weather is ucky, so I will do the best thing I can in this- not go outside.

The real problem is not the snow, it's the hail and lightning and falling trees.

(the old elm on my block is okay, still, but I lay even odds it will come down...)

where is the butter?
Please pass the butter.

Afterglow

Be safe and stay warm.  Hugging and snuggling helps...

joe e ;)
JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Outisicle, frozen sibling unready for freak snowstorm on October 13, 2006, 02:48:36 AM
My boss told me to not come in if the weather is ucky, so I will do the best thing I can in this- not go outside.

The real problem is not the snow, it's the hail and lightning and falling trees.

(the old elm on my block is okay, still, but I lay even odds it will come down...)

I saw some Weather Channel tonight and came home to see if you'd been on...

I agree with Joe. Snuggle weather. And extra socks. We're getting down to 63 tonight!! Sweater weather--for a couple of days.

I've seen snow 4 times in my life...above average for South Texas!
This sig area under construction.

Outis the Unready

Well, now we're up to 14 inches!

But *we* haven't lost power.

where is the butter?
Please pass the butter.

Vita Curator

I saw the snowstorm on the news Kat, isn't it early even for Buffalo to get that much?  I'm glad you are okay.  Stay home today, curl up next to the fire with your family.  A hot toddy might be nice also!
We had our first hard freeze last night, so my flowers are finished. Winter is on its way.
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

Bluenose

Yesterday was our (Melbourne's) hottest October day since 1914 - 36.4oC (pretty close to 100oF, from memory) - the second hottest October day on record and the ealiest day ever in the season to be declared a day of total fire ban.  It's not even summer yet and we have already had some nasty bushfires.  Usually the fires don't get really bad until the end of summer or early autumn.

Looks like its going to be a very bad year.

So, please North American toadfishes, please send us Aussies some of your precipitation, we need it.  I don't care if its rain, hail or snow even.

Dry and thirsty Nick

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Bluenose, if you send me the self-adressed stamped buckets, I'll send you all the precipitation you want.   ;D

Quote from: Outisicle, frozen sibling unready for freak snowstorm on October 13, 2006, 02:48:36 AM

Crazy - on the other side of the lake, all we have is wind.  Good luck, kat.  Have fun at home.

Glad your boss told you that.  I was working in Peterborough, Ontario the last time it flooded.  Every road I could take to my office was flooded, so I stayed home.  The next day, I got flak for not coming in, since the water on one of the roads "wasn't that deep".

Opsa

That's terrible, Lambi. Don't listen to them.

I have a friend who tried to drive across "not that much water". It seemed to be only about six inches deep, but it was from a strong flood current and it managed to sweep her car along towards a river. It was scary! She had to be rescued by the fire department.

Sibling Chatty

The Houston newspaper had an article about two women found drowned in their SUV after the big rainstorm this past weekend. They drove through an area that had previously been safe, but fast rising water and currents took them off the road.

It's a spot that i've driven through numerous times. Never assume you can tell how deep the water is. Roads wash out, but the top of the water doesn't show that.

Lambi, point that out to them. From the top, it all looks shallow.
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

I don't work there any more, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I watched people get through it okay (well... they drove through.  They probably needed new wheel bearings afterward, but they weren't washed away).  I was worried more about what the water level would do while I was at the office, and whether I'd be able to get home.

One of the guys I worked with did try to drive through a flooded section in another part of town that was a bit deeper.  The water went up over his hood, into his intake and wrecked his engine.

He got a lot of "Ahoy, Cap'n!"-type comments from the other guys in the office afterward.

Outis the Unready

Our car kvetches when it is damp. Driving through water would kill it.

where is the butter?
Please pass the butter.