News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

If music be the food of love play on!

Started by goat starer, October 11, 2006, 03:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goat starer

Every good monastery has a choir. In general these choirs sing monotonous Gregorian Chants. By a happy coincidence the humble Toadfish also sings on one note...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/18/MNG0K3PPQ71.DTL&type=science

In this case A Flat which is a fine note and should be adopted forthwith as our reciting tone. If you would like to join the choir or the accompaniment and can sing or play a musical (minimum standard is the ability to sing or play the note A Flat) please let me know your voice (alto, tennor, bass, soprano etc) or your musical instrument and lets make some music!

PS. We will also need a Latin Lyricist!

Goat Starer - French Horn (grade 2)
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Chatty

Play bassoon. Also clarinet, bari sax, some french horn and baritone/field horn, formerly cello/viola.

Sing, usually alto, can do tenor through 2nd soprano. (Practical range is 3 octaves, and I can stretch it to 3.5 if I practice for 3 weeks.)

Read treble and bass clefs, and can almost remember to read the tenor clef, but there's no need, so why strain my tiny brain? (Can't play string instruments anymore.)

Guess who was a music major way too long...
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

I can play the piano.  Also, my car's exhaust has a bit of a hole in it; if I hold the engine RPM constant it makes a nice tone.

As for vocals, I can carry a tune... but only if you have a bucket I can borrow.   ;D

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I used to play the violin, and a pretty mean folk guitar.

That was before I almost sliced my left fore-finger off.  I still have the finger, and no, it's not in a jar--it's attached to my left hand.

Unfortunately, the first joint is all but locked up, so I can no longer bend it enough to play either instrument.

At one time I could hunt-and-peck on the piano, so I suppose I could hold down the A-flat? Or, perhaps, I could keep hitting the A-flat key?

As for singing, although in the past, when I was "Bob the Believer" I sang in the choir (1st Tenor, 2nd Tenor, Baritone and Bass - but then, I was in practice).  Nowadays, I haven't sung in public in so long, I don't think I can anymore.  *sigh* a case of "use it or loose it".

I suppose I could play either a mouth-organ, or a tissue-paper-and-comb? I'm sure, that with enough futzing around, we could get the right tone out of that?
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

You too play French Horn, goat? I don't play it as much nowadays but still that was my major (got to play with the Philarmonic Orchestra of Bogota a couple times).

I also play the recorder decently but my current musical endevour is as a singer with the Palm Beach Opera chorus (Tenor if you must know).

As for latin, ask Swato. ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Not much musical talent here (and definitely not enough practice), but I could haul my bass out, and I have a spare guitar.

Oh, plus the theremin and an ocarina.  ;)
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I can sing lots of songs but they sound nothing like the originals.

My best is Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance but I can only do that in my car on a motorway.

I can also dance a real sailor's hornpipe and got a certificate to say so. Not sure if I could do it to A flat.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Afterglow

JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

goat starer

I would not say I play the french horn. I was learning the violin in school and had to move to a new school. On arrival they asked if i was learning a musical instrument.

Goat "yes, the violin"

Music teacher "we don't have a violin"

Goat "thats ok! I have my own violin"

MT "we don't have a violin teacher. take this French Horn and learn that instead"

Cue a year of making extrodinary parping noises.

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I love to play the Conga...

Haven't played it for two months now, so I'll probably be a little rusty now...

I'm back..