News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Catholic school bans Red Nose

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, March 17, 2007, 10:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Of course with Wagner even explaining or reading the libretto might not do the job ;)
I think surtitles can be helpful if done properly.
The ones they used for Falstaff last week were a lot more explicit than the lyrics usually used for libretto translations.
Sometimes they don't give the whole text but only essentials. That can be helpful if you lose the plot. That can happen even if you did do your homework but don't know the language especially in baroque operas (someone sings for 15 minutes what's going to happen, then 1 minute of action, then someone singing 15 minutes what has happened. Repeat cycle 5-15 times  ;))
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bluenose

Well, of course there's always the Warner Bros approach:

"kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!!!"
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Chatty

Warner Brothers does all my favorite Wagner.

I'm just NOT a Wagner fan. At all. (The man didn't write a damn thing I can sing, for starters.)
This sig area under construction.

Bluenose

Well, I don't know if I am a fan of Wagner, from what I have read it seems like he was not a particularly nice person, but he did write some great music.  I did once go round to a mate's place and we spent the whole weekend eating pizza, drinking beer (and the odd rum, single-malt and even some extra nice bourbon, it must be admitted) and listening to the entire ring cycle.  It was fantastic.

Even today, I still particularly enjoy Götterdämmerung, the way the music broods and builds to the finale is a powerful example of the way music can convey strong emotion.  Still I can see that it would not be everyone's cup of tea.

Which I suppose is a good thing, imagine how boring it would be if everyone like the same things...

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

Another thing not to like about Wagner (apart from politics and his numerous character flaws) is that he produced tons of mindless imitators (Humperdinck about the only worth remembering). In comparision, Rimsky-Korsakov educated 2 generations of European composers but they all were/became stilistically independent of their teacher.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I agree with what Rossini said about Wagner: he has brilliant moments and terribly boring halfs of hour. Some of his vocal stuff is simply too heavy for my ears but his choral and orchestral interludes are -to my taste- great.

Pity he was an a--hole.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Chatty

You'll note my objection was made from the POV of a soloist...

Orchestrally, Wagner's fine. Not the most challenging bassoon parts, but OK with me. But, he seems to have hated altos. Mezzo sopranos on up? OK. Altos? Bleagh.

Swatopluk

In Western opera altos seem to be almost exclusively old women or evil ones (or both).
Another reason why I prefer Russian opera (except Tchaikovsky).

Sibling Chatty

Well, now that I am old, not just evil...I'm so far out of voice that I would need 6 months to get back to "doesn't make me puke when she opens her mouth" status.

I always did fine with oratorio and musical comedy, but there's something so satisfying about a good aria. (My Mom can transpose anything, basically on site, so I got to sing Mimi, just in the wrong key. And in the music room at home.)