News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Catholic school bans Red Nose

Started by Kiyoodle the Gambrinous, March 17, 2007, 10:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

QuoteA Catholic school has banned Red Nose Day over fears that the proceeds will be used to support abortion charities and pay for contraception.

Whole article here

Hopefully this doesn't spread to other Catholics...

I'm back..

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Why do some scenes from Monty Python, The meaning of life come to my mind? ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

There was an amusing (true) anecdote in a review of a book on the History of Roman Catholicism I read today.
Apparently some high placed Anglicans concluded their visit to the Vatican in the 1870s with a polite request for a blessing from the Pope.
He obliged (in Latin) with the blessing usually used for incense. "May you be blessed by Him in whose honour you will be burnt".

The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If they could they would. I just read an editorial on my hometown's newspaper regarding the pope's apparent move to the old ways. It seems that the current loss in attendance is related to how 'lax' the 2nd Vatican Council made things (or so they seem to be thinking in Rome nowadays).

Among the things suggested is to go back latin and gregorian chant during the service:
Quote from: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis_en.html#Actuosa_participatioIn order to express more clearly the unity and universality of the Church, I wish to endorse the proposal made by the Synod of Bishops, in harmony with the directives of the Second Vatican Council, (182) that, with the exception of the readings, the homily and the prayer of the faithful, such liturgies could be celebrated in Latin. Similarly, the better-known prayers (183) of the Church's tradition should be recited in Latin and, if possible, selections of Gregorian chant should be sung. Speaking more generally, I ask that future priests, from their time in the seminary, receive the preparation needed to understand and to celebrate Mass in Latin, and also to use Latin texts and execute Gregorian chant; nor should we forget that the faithful can be taught to recite the more common prayers in Latin, and also to sing parts of the liturgy to Gregorian chant.
While this is suggested for large services, it is impossible not to note certain nostagia for the 'better' times.

Sibling Chatty

Well, so much for a 'religion for the people'.

Anybody notice the resurgence of that good old overlord/feudal serf idea in all types of governance (political and religious especially) we seem to be being subjected to? I do hope it's a last, sad gasp and not the real resurgence so many (rich and powerful) hope for.
This sig area under construction.

beagle

Maybe, but don't you need a bit of mystery and ritual to get across the idea of continuity, stability and above all transcendence? It might not be the essence of religion but the sense of timelessness helps with the marketing.

That's not to say it might not all be part of a bigger plot to promote Papal Fundamentalism.
The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Nothing against the Latin Mass per se as long as it is not mandatory.
Otherwise we could also get rid of Kyrie Eleison and Amen.
We demand our Hokuspokus (Hoc est corpus) ;)
What about subtitles (as they do in some operas now [actually over- not subtitles]?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 20, 2007, 09:22:19 AM
What about subtitles (as they do in some operas now [actually over- not subtitles]?

[pedant]

That would be surtitles, would it not?

[/pedant]

Sorry, just coudn't help myself.

Ok, I'll go and sit in the corner and be quiet now...

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

Wouldn't surtitles be French and correspond to soustitles?
What about dessous titles ;) (in church? :o)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 20, 2007, 09:22:19 AM
We demand our Hokuspokus (Hoc est corpus) ;)
Well, in movies they portray satanic rites in Latin, so I guess it helps.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

Die Engel sprechen selbstverständlich Englisch, ihr oberster Herr daher vermutlich auch.
(Angels certainly speak "Anglais", (therefore) their supreme boss probably too)

Sibling Chatty

The opera company that introduced 'surtitles' does indeed call then surtitles.

That's Houston Grand Opera, and if you're up front in the expensive seats, you can't see them, and if you're at the back of the top balcony, you can't see them either!!

When I sat in my ex-boss's seats I was front (3nd or 4th row) and center, when I paid for my own tickets, I was so far back there were pigeons cooing on the roof, and right next to my head. Even the lighting booth was below me!!

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on March 20, 2007, 11:54:40 PM
That's Houston Grand Opera, and if you're up front in the expensive seats, you can't see them, and if you're at the back of the top balcony, you can't see them either!!
And some say that opera is not a democratic art... ;)

Bluenose

Margot and I went to see the Australian Opera Company's version of Orpheus in the Underworld at the Melbourne Concert Hall a couple of years ago.  We had pretty good seats about four or five rows back from the front of the dress circle - just out of the expensive seat zone.  We could read the surtitles OK, but then you couldn't see the action, so I figured it was a waste of time.  I just payed attention to what the singers were singing and I reckon I only missed a word or two here and there.  I think even if the opera is not being performed in English, you would be better off reading up on the plot and just going along and listening to the singing and watching it, the surtitles are just too distracting.  JMO of course.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Chatty

Yep, that's why they publish librettos.

Of course, they DID originate in Houston, where the whole POINT of the opera was to see and be seen by the right people, and the semi-literate needed easy-to-read translations because they'd never bother to actually LEARN anything about the story.

The evening I spent the entire intermission explaining the storyline of the opera we were watching to the Enron exec seated to my left, I finally asked WHY he was there. Seems it was good for your company image to 'support the arts'. I asked if he meant "be seen at the arts" because whispering "What's happening now?" to total strangers is NOT supportive in any way.

The night I walked in and it was Wagner, I demanded to know if he'd followed my directions and researched the opera. When he said he hadn't, I just told him the very first "What's happening?" or "Who's that/What does THAT mean?" out of his mouth would earn him a removal by the ushers. He kept his mouth shut, and, once again, at intermission, we played catch-up. I liked his wife's solution.  She brought a penlight and a book and read with it all inside her big velvet handbag.

Houston, home of culture, with a capital K...