News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Israel recognizes same-sex marriages

Started by Sibling Lambicus the Toluous, November 21, 2006, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

As noted in an article in today's Toronto Star, Israel's High Court has ruled that five same-sex couples married in Canada must be registered as married in Israel's Population Registry, which confers on them all rights given to married couples.

From the article:

QuoteFive Israeli couples are praising Toronto today, crediting the city of their nuptials and Canadian law for sparking a landmark Israeli high court ruling recognizing gay marriage.

In a vote of 6 to 1, Israel's High Court of Justice yesterday decreed the Toronto-wed couples are to be registered as married under Israel's population registry. The precedent-setting decision entitles them to the same status as heterosexual Israel couples who marry abroad, including tax benefits and the legal right to adopt children.

[...]

Yesterday's high court ruling, coming just two weeks after a series of streets riots in Jerusalem in protest over a controversial gay pride gathering, struck a raw nerve with many senior Israeli religious figures.

"The High Court has sunken in the gates of defilement and has torn out the last mezuzah from its doors," said Yitzhak Cohen, a member of parliament with the ultra-Orthodox Shas party.

"The dam that protected the Jewish state has been burst open under the auspices of the High Court, asking for an anti-Jewish deluge clad in black capes."

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Spoffish

Good on them! What a pity that it had to be the one middle-eastern country that the others won't follow... ;)
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you DO criticize him, you are a mile away, and have his shoes.

Griffin NoName

Um. So imported same sex marriage is OK. Assuming same sex marriages still cannot take place within Israel, and it is the act of getting married that is unlawful, presumably there'll be a thriving new package holiday industry. Is this a market opportunity? There seems a bit of a puzzle surrounding the peace deal with Gaza. Could this explain it? ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: NoName on November 26, 2006, 01:53:47 AM
Um. So imported same sex marriage is OK. Assuming same sex marriages still cannot take place within Israel, and it is the act of getting married that is unlawful, presumably there'll be a thriving new package holiday industry. Is this a market opportunity?

I don't profess to know really anything about the Israeli legal system, but the article I quoted also says this:

QuoteMarriage in Israel is no easy task even for straight couples, due to religious laws that deny permission for almost all but the most Orthodox Jewish weddings.

Despite decades of political efforts to accommodate the marital desires of the country's burgeoning secular population, Israeli marriage law remains unchanged. The tense status quo leaves a sizeable portion of the country with no option but to wed outside the country - in nearby Cyprus, as often as not.

So, yes, it does seem like there's already a thriving package holiday industry.   :)

Opsa

If only the commonwealth of Virginia was as forward thinking as Cyprus!  :(

We're living in the dark ages, here.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on November 27, 2006, 01:59:03 PM
I don't profess to know really anything about the Israeli legal system, but the article I quoted also says this:

QuoteMarriage in Israel is no easy task even for straight couples, due to religious laws that deny permission for almost all but the most Orthodox Jewish weddings.

Oh that's easy to understand. You cannot be a proper Jew unless both your parents married* in an Orthodox synagogue. :) :)

Me and my ex had a tough interview with a Rabbi Sunshine who investigated our parental statii - (and that was in the UK !!!) - we were divorced by Judge Angel. I never bothered to get a Get but sometimes think it might be worthwhile just to see what the Rabbi's name might be.

edit: * each other :)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand