News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Anyone else getting out of hours connections?

Started by Griffin NoName, August 29, 2007, 11:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Noticed something odd in my "Connection Log".

It's showing connections to the Monastery at times when I haven't been connected at all. Like not logged in, not even any old Monastery browser windows left open.

Like there I am with only one thing going on, nothing to do with the Monastery, and in the log amongst connections to the site I am browsing (in new browser window) there shows up connections to the Monastery at the same time.

Anyone keep an eye on their firewall logs? If so, can you see any evidence of similar behaviour?

Wondering how Joomla or SMF might be implicated.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Griffin NoName

Can't you guess ?

:stupid: :ban: :beta: :taz: :smite: :hitPC: :hitPC: :hitPC:

Norton (still and not willingly)

No other sign of the firewall logging connections unaccountably - that is I can account for all the other crud in there.

Unless MSN.com is accessing the Monastery?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Do you leave the browser open on the Monastery home page?  It could be the chant box.

Alpaca

Both Joomla and SMF produce RSS feeds. Have you ever subscribed to any anywhere?
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on August 30, 2007, 01:17:48 AM
Do you leave the browser open on the Monastery home page?  It could be the chant box.

No. I logged out of everything. I shut everything, all windows, everything. I put the machine in standby. I went out for several hours. I came back. I took the machine out of standby.

NOTHING on the screen. Just all fresh. Ready to go.

I opened my browser, picked up hotmail.

Checked the log file.

There were the hotmail/msn connections, all correctly timed, and bang in the middle, the Monastery.

Quote from: Alpaca on August 30, 2007, 01:35:35 AM
Both Joomla and SMF produce RSS feeds. Have you ever subscribed to any anywhere?

No.

At least never knowingly. Is it possible to BE subscribed by a trojan (not that I have ever had a trojan on this machine) or a program running without one knowing it is susbcribing one.......
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

How could your firewall log anything if your machine is in standby?  Is there a timezone problem or something?

Alpaca

If I'm reading correctly, the Monastery popped up in the middle of her MSN browsing activities once she got back.

Does it happen if you start browsing somewhere else rather than MSN? Given the "omg portal to ur internets" nature of MSN, it could be the culprit.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Griffin NoName

Yes, Alpaca, you read me.

Actually I have developed a theory, before I saw your reply.

Google analytics show that bay104 (part of hotmail) is refering to the Monastery. I have one or two unread emails with links to the Monastery from auto-mail on newbies. Now although my logs show I never went near bay104, the server hotmail refered me to was bay118, it is possible that all (unread - low number anyway) link referals get passed onto bay104. Or something along those lines.

I am inclined to agree, MSN is a culprit, if not the culprit !

The analytics Referring Sites is interesting anyway.

Although.... if one was really interested it would be quite hard, if the above is true, to actually extract anything really and truly definitively and absolutely and meaningful. Statistics <sigh>.

EDIT if I remember to, I'll delete those emails and repeat the exercise. just for the hell of it.
Psychic Hotline Host