News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Chanting

Started by Opsa, March 16, 2006, 10:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

The combination of self-direction and humility before the greatness of the universe at large seems to be the common thread between the Toadfish mentalities and these beliefs.

Don't know if I count myself as one of the "Earth religion" types, although most of the 'secular' aspects of such religion appeal strongly to me.  I'd rather be out wandering through a forest than pretty much any other place (except maybe swimming through the corals), getting to know the plants and animals.

Autotheism + HSMism pretty much are the two components of the first sentence of these posts.

I also think Sibling Grumpy's use of 'mental models' is pretty much in line with how I use my beliefs to understand and manipulate the world, although he doesn't have my need to bluster, label and trumpet my beliefs all over Creation...   ;)
WWDDD?

Opsa

Perhaps you're right, it's more the do-it-yourself attitude toward religion that attracts people who would be part of a monastery. The earth religions seem to be more hands-on than, say, some of the religions that only require attending sermons.

Well, I guess that's not quite right, is it? I'm sure they require more than attending sermons, but  some human beings tend to be as lazy as they can get away with, and it's all they can do to drag themselves in on Sunday for a nod in the chapel. That might not be the most contemplative kind of person. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes I'd like to shut my mind off and just go the heck to sleep.

Aggie

Me too.... I miss school.  ;D

The discrepancy in the Monastery isn't so much a case of an imbalance between Earth/Abrahamic religions, but compared to the upper forums there's relatively few straight-up contrarian atheists.  You're probably bang on about the contemplative part.
WWDDD?

Opsa

Ha! Never thought about how an atheist would feel about becoming a monk. Hope it's not putting them off.

I guess I don't think of monks as being exclusively devoted to a deity. I think of them as a community of solitary thinkers. That's how I think of us, all quietly typing away at our computers, yet comtemplating things together. We are not necessarily religious, but connected through the FSM.

The Meromorph

Quote from: Opsanus tau on May 14, 2006, 04:59:37 PM
Ha! Never thought about how an atheist would feel about becoming a monk. Hope it's not putting them off.

I guess I don't think of monks as being exclusively devoted to a deity. I think of them as a community of solitary thinkers. That's how I think of us, all quietly typing away at our computers, yet contemplating things together. We are not necessarily religious, but connected through the FSM.
Well, not me, anyway.

and...

Nailed it, as usual :D
Dances with Motorcycles.

Opsa

:toadfish:

I just gave you another karmic point Quas, just because you're you.

May it serve you well.

...and never ask for a tip.

NeferKa the Bodhipasta

Don't some monasteries open their doors to non-monks as well?

(I still feel special because I got nominated in. I think I'm going to make myself some kind of special robe to wear around the house when I eat pasta for dinner! I am thinking it should be red in case I spill any sauce on myself, but I need a fishy emblem to put on it!)

beagle

Quote from: NeferKa the Bodhipasta on September 26, 2006, 05:48:04 AM
Don't some monasteries open their doors to non-monks as well?

Indeed they do, though there can be a downside to it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/602641.stm

(Am I the only one who thinks an overnight vow of silence is cheating just a little?)
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Golly Gosh, what an idea. Overnight is when I talk to myself. A vow of silence at night would probably destabalize me entirely.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

The Black Spot

Arrrrr...

there be plenty o' chantin' goin on on my ship. Every mornin', me crew gathers on the deck an shout "ARRRGHHH - ARRRGHHH - ARRRGHHH..." over an over while banging their heads on the deck.

They not be particularly religious, they just be stark ravin' mad.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

I wonder... is there a patron god of pirates?

if not, there should be.
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

The Black Spot

Well, Robert Newton be the patron saint o' Talk Like A Pirate Day.

'Ee be great inspiration to us all.

beagle

This chap might be a candidate:

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saintS/saintg6t.htm

Rather gives the impression he gave up the drinkin', women, cheatin' 'n' piratin' when he took up saintin' though.

The angels have the phone box

DaveL

I vote for Vern Troyer (alias Mini-me) for Midget Sainthood. That 'little booger' just rocks...'dont bite the kitty'
Busily tracking Santa on NORAD...

This year your toast ye chubby, slegh driving, white bearded, coca cola advertisement!!

Opsa

Well, we're not a religious monastery, more like a Zen monastery. It's a meditative place. But if Black Spot's crew likes to meditate by shouting "ARRRGGGHHH" while hitting their heads on the deck, so be it. Whatever works for you, as long as it doesn't harm others.