News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Session Verification Issues/Timeouts

Started by ivor, January 13, 2007, 02:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have had Session Verification Issues/Timeouts with this browser

IE6
2 (33.3%)
FireFox
3 (50%)
Opera
0 (0%)
Camino
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 23, 2007, 02:15:08 AM

ivor

I don't really think it's SMF.  It's my hosting plan.

Joomla.org uses SMF.  The get 10,000 page hits a day.  They also have dedicated hosting.  :(

Griffin NoName

My current obsession leaves me no option, since my whimsy was off form, I have to try again. When will Dream Host stop being a Nightmare Host? By all reports things have improved so let's hope someone woke them up  ;D  ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Vita Curator

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on February 10, 2007, 08:50:54 AM

May I humbly suggest you switch away from the _evil monster_ IE7 that is the Spawn of Micro$oft? <tongue firmly in cheek>

There are those of use herein who would be GLAD to post a step-by-step "how 2" for FireFox, if you like.

From first click to last *sigh* of bliss, as you navigate in the style you should become accustomed to... <grin>

Okay Bob-the-computer-Builder, post a step-by-step tutorial for yours truly.
Unity is Strength. Knowledge is Power. Attitude is Everything.

ivor

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on February 11, 2007, 02:02:04 PM
My current obsession leaves me no option, since my whimsy was off form, I have to try again. When will Dream Host stop being a Nightmare Host? By all reports things have improved so let's hope someone woke them up  ;D  ;D

Aren't all shared hosting plans bad in one way or another?  Isn't this what you get for $15 a month?  They don't have a better plan that is worth the money.  I am trying to figure out a way to get business class FIOS with a static IP and a new server without getting a beating from the Princess of Darkness.  ;D

beagle

Quote from: Vita Curator
Okay Bob-the-computer-Builder, post a step-by-step tutorial for yours truly.

Be warned that when the session verifications hit me neither Firefox nor IE7 worked. (For reasons connected with a previous job my machine has IE7, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla and ...). If it happens again I'll try all four if I have time.

The angels have the phone box

ivor

Thanks Bob,

After getting down into the code I see what is going on.  The session is just gone so SMF thinks that someone else is trying to spoof your session.  Instead of asking for your login credentials it just gives up and says "session verification error." 

I have forked a program called HexIP.  I need to change it a bit so I call block IPs and User Agents independently.  I can then keep bots that ignore robots.txt out, like AOLBot (or whatever it is) that come in and spider the site on 10 different IPs at the same time.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on February 11, 2007, 03:50:19 PM
Aren't all shared hosting plans bad in one way or another?  Isn't this what you get for $15 a month?  They don't have a better plan that is worth the money.  I am trying to figure out a way to get business class FIOS with a static IP and a new server without getting a beating from the Princess of Darkness.  ;D

No I don't think they are all bad. Depends on one's needs and on what they actually get up to on their servers, and like are their staff any good? And of course like shared with how many, doing what? etc. A site I run is hosted on a freebee and has many many more hits a day than this site (with many more members). No problems at all.

The problem is finding out which are worth the money and which aren't, however much you pay and whichever level of service you go for.

For the amount of traffic this site gets I would have thought shared hosting was Ok with a good supplier and a decent package plan. Trouble is.... affordable good supplier, like who? Sorry not much help on that one. I like mine (not the freebee, another one) but they went out of business last year - although they are still selling online, my site is still hosted by them, they no longer actually exist and GoDaddy whose servers are used (which seemed to happen around the time they went out of business) agree with me they don't exist but won't admit to knowing anything more than that !!

I also have a reasonably cheap business package site hosted with a very reliable top end host in the UK. I'd recommend them, but you must be able to get the same cheaper in the US.

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on February 11, 2007, 09:46:08 PM
The session is just gone so SMF thinks that someone else is trying to spoof your session.  Instead of asking for your login credentials it just gives up and says "session verification error." 

I have forked a program called HexIP. 

Does the "S" in SMF stand for Spoof?  :taz: 

Is it a silly question to ask why the sessions are going - why doesn't mine disappear ? Is IE6 passing different cookies than IE7 or something else weird? Only curious.

I like the idea of HexIP - especially for real spoofs.  :mrgreen:

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on February 12, 2007, 01:42:23 AM
No I don't think they are all bad. Depends on one's needs and on what they actually get up to on their servers, and like are their staff any good? And of course like shared with how many, doing what? etc. A site I run is hosted on a freebee and has many many more hits a day than this site (with many more members). No problems at all.
The problem is finding out which are worth the money and which aren't, however much you pay and whichever level of service you go for.

For the amount of traffic this site gets I would have thought shared hosting was Ok with a good supplier and a decent package plan.
You aren't running a CMS on it though are you?

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on February 12, 2007, 01:42:23 AM
Trouble is.... affordable good supplier, like who? Sorry not much help on that one. I like mine (not the freebee, another one) but they went out of business last year - although they are still selling online, my site is still hosted by them, they no longer actually exist and GoDaddy whose servers are used (which seemed to happen around the time they went out of business) agree with me they don't exist but won't admit to knowing anything more than that !!

I also have a reasonably cheap business package site hosted with a very reliable top end host in the UK. I'd recommend them, but you must be able to get the same cheaper in the US.

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on February 11, 2007, 09:46:08 PM
The session is just gone so SMF thinks that someone else is trying to spoof your session.  Instead of asking for your login credentials it just gives up and says "session verification error." 

I have forked a program called HexIP. 

Does the "S" in SMF stand for Spoof?  :taz: 

Is it a silly question to ask why the sessions are going - why doesn't mine disappear ? Is IE6 passing different cookies than IE7 or something else weird? Only curious.
When I go over my memory limit what ever is on the other side of the limit gets killed.  Mostly sessions I guess.

Feel free to help out.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on February 12, 2007, 02:04:41 AM
You aren't running a CMS on it though are you?

I actually have several different hosted packages (all shared hosting). I do different things on different ones. It's my own brainless version of CMS  ::) ::) - no I don't actually run a CMS on any. Even so, I would have thought the "right" shared hosting should cope with the Monastery - but then I don't know what else you have running. There is a difference between the UK and the US in the way these packages are bundled - at least there was last time I checked it all out - so I may be basing my opinion on fluff.

When I go over my memory limit what ever is on the other side of the limit gets killed.  Mostly sessions I guess.

Your limit on the server rather than your PC?

Feel free to help out.

I am devoted to Jung for a week or two ahead so any Hexing will be coming deep from my influence on the collective unconscious. I'll do my best !
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

I am not sure DreamHost actually specifies it's memory limit but I think it's like 50mb per domain.  So the monastery only has 50mb of memory to share between all the users.

If I had my own server I am sure I would have at least 2Gb of ram in it. 

What's Jung?

Swatopluk

Wouldn't that be exhausted quite fast with pictures uploaded?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Yes 50MB is the usual.  And it wouldn't be enough. (More costs more, but not as much as dedicated). That was the beauty of the one I have where my host has gone missing !!  It was cheap to have more....

But there's also a difference between "server" and "upload" limits.... (following up Swato's remark).

Carl Gustav Jung 1865-1961 Swiss Psychiatrist and Analytical Psychologist. Started out as a follower of Freud but had an argument and broke out on his own... (everyone had arguments with Freud). Major contributions to the field - Dream work, Archetypes, Symbols, Anima/Animus, The Shadow, The Collective Unconscious, Synchronicity. Also the first person to use the word Transpersonal but work on that has far outstripped his original concept of it.

I have to give a presentation of a Jungian analysis of myself and then spend the following day being torn to shreds over it. Not only am I somewhat pre-occupied with this, but it involves the equivalent of an 11 day hike with no stops for sleep (ie. according to my current state of health).
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

I think having a bridged forum is probably using three times the amount of session vars that you would have with an integrated solution.

I don't think we have any problems with upload size.  I haven't seen any.

Griffin NoName

So it all comes back to bridging... I always hated dentists ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

Been logged out twice mysteriously when posting replies tonight.

Also, just got session timeout, tho that may be a need to clear cookies of course.

I know you got new toys MB. Are you playing with them? :mrgreen:

EDIT

Oh another oddity of little importance. If I click a link in a particular board it always says I am not authorised.
Psychic Hotline Host