News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Session Verification Issues/Timeouts

Started by ivor, January 13, 2007, 02:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have had Session Verification Issues/Timeouts with this browser

IE6
2 (33.3%)
FireFox
3 (50%)
Opera
0 (0%)
Camino
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 23, 2007, 02:15:08 AM

ivor

Log out and log back in.  You may have to do it from here.

Griffin NoName

Been checking stuff out.

MB, have you compared settings with your other sites:

Admin -

Server Settings Core Config

* Use a persistent connection

QuoteKeeps the connection active to increase performance. If you aren't on a dedicated server, this may cause you problems with your host.

Server Settings - Feature Config

* default login cookies length in minutes

(it was a cookie problem that solved my unwrapped time delay)
(although I still have the time delay when wrapped)

* Seconds before unused session timeout

And one last thought, I login "forever" - what do other people do?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

I logged in forever a long time ago. No discernable problems, ever, except my computer died of old age. Nothing here ever doesn't work for me. I use FireFox.
This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

After changing to unwrapped the problem ceased too. If nothing here has changed then I suspect ZoneAlarm. The problem usually occurred at my office PC, not at the one at home (that uses a different firewall)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

ivor

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 27, 2007, 04:53:55 PM
Been checking stuff out.

MB, have you compared settings with your other...

I have compared the sites in great detail.  The only thing I haven't done is compare the source code.

I login forever too, although I suspect that to be a problem.  I don't have a problem with it in FireFox.  I have noticed it disabled on other sites.  I would be great if someone had a go at that.  ;D

Quote from: Swatopluk on January 28, 2007, 09:23:01 AM
After changing to unwrapped the problem ceased too. If nothing here has changed then I suspect ZoneAlarm. The problem usually occurred at my office PC, not at the one at home (that uses a different firewall)

I thought I would turn off my hardware firewall here.  Then I looked at my log.  My LAN is attacked every six minutes or so.  Seesh, don't people have better things to do?  Maybe I will turn on all the firewalls in XP and try it.

Swatopluk

Now it happened again and this time on my home PC in unwrapped mode.

ivor

Quote from: Swatopluk on January 28, 2007, 09:59:32 AM
Now it happened again and this time on my home PC in unwrapped mode.

Sorry!  My bad.  I turned data driven sessions on to make the settings consistent with the other sites.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: MentalBlock996 on January 28, 2007, 09:43:27 AM
Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 27, 2007, 04:53:55 PM
Been checking stuff out.

MB, have you compared settings with your other...

I have compared the sites in great detail.  The only thing I haven't done is compare the source code.

I thought you would have but it is always worth asking.

Worth comparing bridging source code ?

Re. firewall and attacks... one of the reasons I distrust the method used for installing firewalls.... install from out of date CD, connect, update.... and if you have a problem with the firewall, the first thing the firewall support staff ask you to do is, turn off the firewall.  :'(
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName The Watson of Sherlock on January 29, 2007, 12:19:27 AM
the first thing the firewall support staff ask you to do is, turn off the firewall.  :'(

Yup.  Is why I insist on a hardware firewall as the 1st line of defense.  :D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

I don't understand why the makers of SMF and the makers of Joomla don't redirect to the login page on session verification failure then forward you to your destination on a successful login.  Seesh...  ;D

Griffin NoName

I cannot get session verification failure any which way, wrapped, unwrapped, going off on holiday for a month, whatever. Is there something wrong with me? ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Hasn't reoccured in the last 24 hours. knock, knock, knock!

ivor

Quote from: Swatopluk on January 30, 2007, 07:06:58 PM
Hasn't reoccured in the last 24 hours. knock, knock, knock!

I bumped the timeout to two hours.  It still handles it badly after that.

I used SMF's built-in version checker and compared it with sedonaview.com.  They are the same.  I am thinking of running this site under my original login to see if that makes a difference.

Griffin NoName

Strange drop in postings -
Reports of session verification timeouts preventing people using the site -

Are the two connected?

Or is there some bug where the list of new posts is not working... too .. ?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

However, nothing seems to stop Black Bart  :yar: :yar: :yar:
Psychic Hotline Host

ivor

Nothing has changed really.

Yesterday DreamHost attempted to roll out PHP 5.2 with disastrous result.  DreamHost's own customer support site went down along with every website I know of hosted on DreamHost.  That may have something to do with it.

I am getting the feeling this site is much too busy for the shared hosting plan because nothing I do makes any difference.  :(  I've tried  overwriting Joomla and SMF with the latest versions, which means it's not a code issue.  My templates work on other sites and don't have the Session Verification problem so it's not a template issue. *sigh*