News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Additions to the Smilies thread

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, December 07, 2006, 05:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

There was even a (good) movie about the zodiac killer.

Darli, a little inquire, generally speaking any axe murder is considered a heinous crime, and the perpetrator is unambiguously a monster, so why in your opinion is the zodiac killer worse than others? We are generally speaking about very evil and psychopathic people even if it is tongue in cheek (same with eating babies), but not at all glorifying them, or at least that is never my intention when I mention their tasty flavor...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Darlica

All right.

It's not that I think that the Zodiac killer is worse than other (axe) murders. I would feel the same about a Manson family smiley, or a Ted Bundy one, or heck a 9/11 one with falling twin towers. It's about respect for the victims and their relatives.

Also, keeping in mind the toadfish mission statement and spirit of mutual respect and tolerance we so eagerly show off, I simply wondered if it really belongs here, because to me it doesn't.

When it comes to tongue in cheek, eating babies and all that, it is not about the degree of violence, It's about fiction and reality or between the general and the specific if you like.
For example :axe: is general and do work very well in a tongue in cheek context as do  :2guns: :smite: :bigsmack: :guillotine: :voodoo:. The   on the other hand is specific because of the symbol on his chest and is there by less adaptable in general situations (tongue in cheek ones for example).

I used to work with pictures and symbols, not to use "tainted" symbols sits in my spine. Symbols carries a lot of meaning, not to everybody but those who recognise it, and you never know who that might be.
A tainted symbol in a logotype can ruin a company's reputation for a long while. It can make people upset and sad even though you never meant to hurt anyone ("I just liked the look of it" is a rather common defence).
Quite recently a designer who more or less copied the Nazi SS skulls for her jewellery said that she didn't know that any one would recognise the look, and that they looked so "cool"... you can guess how that ended.

That said, personally I do enjoy a bit of ultra-violence know and then. I also laugh about inappropriate joke about women, men, sex and so on, but that doesn't mean I would like to add those things to the profile of this forum and whether we like it or not the smilies we use is a part of that profile.

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Intrigued by how you found the Zodiac killer again in above post as I had hidden it, at least I thought I had.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

I has teh mad skilz! :mrgreen:
I copied the pictures url and put it within the picture tag.

I'd like to keep him in this thread, otherwise the discussion seem rather abstract... Please?
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Darlica on November 24, 2012, 09:33:58 PM
I has teh mad skilz! :mrgreen:
I copied the pictures url and put it within the picture tag.

I'd like to keep him in this thread, otherwise the discussion seem rather abstract... Please?

Yes, for sure, let's make sense !
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Darlica on November 24, 2012, 05:52:15 PM
It's not that I think that the Zodiac killer is worse than other (axe) murders. I would feel the same about a Manson family smiley, or a Ted Bundy one, or heck a 9/11 one with falling twin towers. It's about respect for the victims and their relatives of those who died.
Fair enough.

Carry on.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

I don't have a dog in this race, but would the smiley be OK if it was edited to remove the offending symbol?   Not that I approve of axe murderers, but in the same way we sometimes use the other over the top smileys to express frustration or other things in a tongue in cheek fashion, perhaps that might make it OK.  Just a thought. I can probably do it if desired.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

Apart from anything else, I think it is simply a bit too big* and I prefer  :axe: and :zombie:

What about this one?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/steamroller-crush-smiley-emoticon.gif

*same with the larger version of the Black Knight.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Now let's be really picky. I like smilies to have the background transparent so the colour of the web page shows through. ie. I don't like

because it has a white background. Otherwise, yes, love it. Describes what my ME/CFS feels like.

Unfortunately I can't edit "animated" smilies as I don't have the software to do it. I could make the background transparent but the animation would be lost.

Yes, Blue, pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase see what you can do. I really like the axe-man sans zodiac, and I don't think he is too big. Or point me at (free) s/w I could use.

We do have aa few smilies that are too big. IMO. But not these ones.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Maybe it is because I made a direct link (I am quite illiterate as far as graphics go) and maybe by getting the codes at the page of origin this problem disappears.

Griffin NoName

No. It does actually have a white background. Strike theory 1.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

New smilies:

:exercise:    :kangaroo:     :confused:     :icon_finger:     :duckswim:     :cry_blanket:      :duckpond:      :snowman:      :goodjob:
Psychic Hotline Host

pieces o nine

^ the zombie didn;t make the cut?    ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

They are really excellent, thanks.  Wendy says well done.

Swatopluk

Quote from: pieces o nine on February 06, 2013, 07:01:31 PM
^ the zombie didn;t make the cut?    ;)

It's already there  :zombie:  ": zombie :", just remove the blanks